View Poll Results: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the sooner the better

    48 59.26%
  • Yes, but not in the near future

    5 6.17%
  • No, we are fine, thank you

    27 33.33%
  • I don't know

    1 1.23%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 191

Thread: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spriggs05 View Post
    You still get the old people: A) How far is it from here to the local pub (Example)
    B) Oh, its about 160 feet
    A) ?????????????????????

    We still use miles however.
    Right. But you stop educating people in the old imperial system and it will gradually change. This isn't an overnight process.
    Sure, you start by modifying administrative papers. Instead of describing people as 6feet 20inches you say that they are 1m 80cm tall. Instead of using gallons you use liters at the gas pump. In a short time, people get accustomed to this. The colloquial discussions that people have between them is of no significant importance as long as they use the correct terminology when interracting with services or the govt.

  2. #12
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    A few years a billion dollar mars NASA probe was lost because there was one American who did not use metric... but inches and got critical calculations all wrong. So yes you should switch.
    PeteEU

  3. #13
    Cammunist Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    986

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    ... or "I'm 6.5 feet high"
    Actually we still use feet for height for some reason.

  4. #14
    Cammunist Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    986

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Actually we still use feet for height for some reason.
    Yes it sounds quaint to hear my American Friends describe things as 'yards'

  5. #15
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,542
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    A few years a billion dollar mars NASA probe was lost because there was one American who did not use metric... but inches and got critical calculations all wrong. So yes you should switch.
    Huh, well perhaps if all the other AMERICANS at NASA had stuck to imperial like they shoulda, this would never have happened. GEEZ! lol
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  6. #16
    Cammunist Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    986

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Huh, well perhaps if all the other AMERICANS at NASA had stuck to imperial like they shoulda, this would never have happened. GEEZ! lol
    Yes, damn those rocket scientists using the superior/ more accurate unit to do their voodo nerditry.

  7. #17
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,542
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Yes, damn those rocket scientists using the superior/ more accurate unit to do their voodo nerditry.
    EGG-Zackly!!! We don't need no stinking accuracy! It's a big planet, we'll crash onto it someplace.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  8. #18
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Huh, well perhaps if all the other AMERICANS at NASA had stuck to imperial like they shoulda, this would never have happened. GEEZ! lol
    It was an international probe. Fact is imperial is inaccurate when it comes to science, that is why the world uses metric.
    PeteEU

  9. #19
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Howdy,

    I was thinking, wouldn't it be better if the USA finally adopted the International System of Units?

    Because...



    So, what do you think?
    I say no.The US is one of the most prosperous countries in the world.So we do not need to change how we do measurements. I like using feet,inches, yards and so on.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #20
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    This is one of those things I point to when I say the US is a very conservative nation.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •