View Poll Results: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the sooner the better

    48 59.26%
  • Yes, but not in the near future

    5 6.17%
  • No, we are fine, thank you

    27 33.33%
  • I don't know

    1 1.23%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 191

Thread: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

  1. #171
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You do what, kiss French ass?
    Only if she's 20, cute, and is a brunette with not-brown eyes!!!

    I understand the economic implications of switching over and I've been preaching it to several people since you posted last. That's why you responded to my original post, wasn't it, because I DO understand?


    Then you went on to attack liberals as not being able to understand. I'm what YOU would call a liberal and I understand quite well, thank you. I'm sure that most liberals do, whether you think so or not. The young people I wouldn't bet on, though, from either side of the aisle.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #172
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,023

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I heard the same thing 40 years ago and it wasn't true then, either. Maybe you need to come South to buy your appliances?
    80 years ago stuff was built to last 80-100 years 40 years ago it was to last 30-40 years that is the difference.
    True funny anectode. There was a bridge over 100 years old they decided they needed to replace they cut the ends placed the charges and boom the bridge dropped the equivalent of the thickness of the cuts. Took them an extra month to demolish the bridge cause it was built so damn strong. All the newer bridges around here are falling apart and undergoing emergency repairs as they try to keep em from falling down (some unfortunately not succefully with rather tragic results) until new ones are built.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  3. #173
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    80 years ago stuff was built to last 80-100 years 40 years ago it was to last 30-40 years that is the difference.
    True funny anectode. There was a bridge over 100 years old they decided they needed to replace they cut the ends placed the charges and boom the bridge dropped the equivalent of the thickness of the cuts. Took them an extra month to demolish the bridge cause it was built so damn strong. All the newer bridges around here are falling apart and undergoing emergency repairs as they try to keep em from falling down (some unfortunately not succefully with rather tragic results) until new ones are built.
    Sorry, but that doesn't jive with what I've seen. Sure the really old bridges seem to be built to last 100 years but the real story is that manufacturing wasn't as good as it is now, so there were more defects in the structural members. To compensate for that, engineers built in a larger safety margin. If anything, when it comes to bridges and tunnels, they can design them to last longer now than ever. Whether the government is stupid or not is all that determines how long it will last.

    The same goes for appliances. Some are built to last 20-25 years, others are not. It's all a matter of how much you're willing to spend.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #174
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,023

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Sorry, but that doesn't jive with what I've seen. Sure the really old bridges seem to be built to last 100 years but the real story is that manufacturing wasn't as good as it is now, so there were more defects in the structural members. To compensate for that, engineers built in a larger safety margin. If anything, when it comes to bridges and tunnels, they can design them to last longer now than ever. Whether the government is stupid or not is all that determines how long it will last.

    The same goes for appliances. Some are built to last 20-25 years, others are not. It's all a matter of how much you're willing to spend.
    Doesn't matter what you spend appliances are designed to fail in less than 10 years. Ask any salesman (who have all the reason in the world to lie) and they will tell you. As to bridges yes they over compensated before but it isn't because of stupid politicians (that would be building a 2 lane bridge when anyone could tell in next 10 years at least 3 necessary) but corrupt politicians and builders. Point is if all new stuff is made metric tomorrow it will not be a huge cost on anyone you will still be able to use old stuff until it is replaced except for a few very very long lived things. remember the gyprock stuff (I can still find it in 4'X8') but there was not such a huge history of buildings using it. Gyprock only got going after the war so roughly 60 years only older than that it wasn't made to standard 4'X8' as there was no such thing. Again its not a huge expense.
    The longer you wait to switch the more problematic it will be but that does not mean it will be cost prohibitive. Only a little more difficult.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  5. #175
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,161

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Yeah, I agree, but I think if the people actually were educated on it, they would understand the benefits. As of now, most Americans just see it as a foreign system, and their inherent "This is 'merica, and we speak 'merican!" attitude is holding them back.



    Which base we pick is really rather arbitrary, it's only important we stick with one. Imperial uses many different bases for the units, there's no uniformity. SI fits in with base 10.

    I use other systems daily, like binary (base 2), and hexidecimal (base 16). You'd be surprised how well your brain can adjust.

    I have no problem with it. I can think in meters and km and liters and hectares, no big. However, I was taught all this stuff in school then it was reinforced by my interest in science (where almost all measurements are in metric). A lot of people don't get it so easily, and if they've used 'murican measurements for the past 40 years then Joe Avg isn't going to convert over so easily.


    IMO just put the two side by side for a couple generations.


    JFYI the thing I always hate about "imperial" measures is liquid volume. I am always struggling to remember how many ounces in a quart or gallon. OTOH I find milligrams to be non-intuitive... the measure is just too small for convenience, its about the weight of a couple paper clips. Kilos are awkward because they're 2.2 lbs and converting ounces to milligrams is a pain.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #176
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Howdy,

    I was thinking, wouldn't it be better if the USA finally adopted the International System of Units?

    Because...



    So, what do you think?
    As a Canadian, who's been exposed to the metric system for decades, I'm actually glad that the US retains imperial measures because it keeps me sharp and gives me perspective - I grew up with imperial measure, that's what came naturally, so when we went to metric it wasn't easy to pick up or follow initially and conversion became the norm - I still like doing the conversions. Besides, as a country that is inundated with American culture, media and business, it's nice knowing both systems and what they mean.

    In a practical sense, however, for business it would be less expensive packaging in one system instead of one set for the American market and another set for shipping to Canada and other trading partners.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #177
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Doesn't matter what you spend appliances are designed to fail in less than 10 years. Ask any salesman (who have all the reason in the world to lie) and they will tell you. As to bridges yes they over compensated before but it isn't because of stupid politicians (that would be building a 2 lane bridge when anyone could tell in next 10 years at least 3 necessary) but corrupt politicians and builders. Point is if all new stuff is made metric tomorrow it will not be a huge cost on anyone you will still be able to use old stuff until it is replaced except for a few very very long lived things. remember the gyprock stuff (I can still find it in 4'X8') but there was not such a huge history of buildings using it. Gyprock only got going after the war so roughly 60 years only older than that it wasn't made to standard 4'X8' as there was no such thing. Again its not a huge expense.
    The longer you wait to switch the more problematic it will be but that does not mean it will be cost prohibitive. Only a little more difficult.
    Like I said, I've heard the "built-in obsolescence" story before - it hasn't changed a bit in 60 years. No reason to believe now is some special time in history.

    I've lived in homes that used 4x8' sheetrock all my life, though the home I was born in had something else prior to '62 (don't remember what), which is when Dad remodeled it. Since the US still uses 4x8' sheets in virtually everything I doubt you would have much problem finding it in Canada. Try finding it in Europe, instead.

    Cars still have SAE nuts and bolts and they've been "switching" for ~30 years, now.

    Again, if you want it done fast (a decade or less) it'll cost a lot, if you take a few decades it'll be cheaper.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #178
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Imperial system isn't just based on 12 inches to the foot there is ounces/pound feet/yard feet/mile etc there is no standardization where metric is all the same base 10 very easy to learn
    I do realize that - I guess what I am suggesting is that the metric system may not necessarily be the best possible system - although the fact that everything is based on multiples of ten certainly makes it easier - weights in particular seem pretty nonsensical in imperial.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  9. #179
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Like I said, I've heard the "built-in obsolescence" story before - it hasn't changed a bit in 60 years. No reason to believe now is some special time in history.

    I've lived in homes that used 4x8' sheetrock all my life, though the home I was born in had something else prior to '62 (don't remember what), which is when Dad remodeled it. Since the US still uses 4x8' sheets in virtually everything I doubt you would have much problem finding it in Canada. Try finding it in Europe, instead.

    Cars still have SAE nuts and bolts and they've been "switching" for ~30 years, now.

    Again, if you want it done fast (a decade or less) it'll cost a lot, if you take a few decades it'll be cheaper.
    do you mean plasterboard? when I was building the most common size was 1200 x 2400, although I bought a lot in 1200 x 2700. that's in Oz - but I think you would probably find it is similar elsewhere.

    have to admit though .... while hitting someone over the head with a 2 x 4 is assault, it adds a layer of clumsiness to hit them over the head with a 38 x 89 .....
    Last edited by marywollstonecraft; 07-28-13 at 04:57 AM.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  10. #180
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I have no problem with it. I can think in meters and km and liters and hectares, no big. However, I was taught all this stuff in school then it was reinforced by my interest in science (where almost all measurements are in metric). A lot of people don't get it so easily, and if they've used 'murican measurements for the past 40 years then Joe Avg isn't going to convert over so easily.


    IMO just put the two side by side for a couple generations.


    JFYI the thing I always hate about "imperial" measures is liquid volume. I am always struggling to remember how many ounces in a quart or gallon. OTOH I find milligrams to be non-intuitive... the measure is just too small for convenience, its about the weight of a couple paper clips. Kilos are awkward because they're 2.2 lbs and converting ounces to milligrams is a pain.
    most things here are in metric, and I tend to think in kilos and litres, but I also know that 600ml is equivalent to the old pint, and a 500g pack of butter is a bit more than a lb. I also think kilometres for distance and speed, but I can estimate both in miles pretty fast - and accurately. My daughter who grew up with metric found it much more challenging in thinking about distance in the UK at first, but quickly caught on.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •