View Poll Results: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the sooner the better

    48 59.26%
  • Yes, but not in the near future

    5 6.17%
  • No, we are fine, thank you

    27 33.33%
  • I don't know

    1 1.23%
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 191

Thread: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

  1. #131
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,171
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Yes.

    Check out reddit.com/r/metric

  2. #132
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,171
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    First, you assume that people know the imperial system (I know it is easy, and you do) but not everyone knows it. How will you re-educate the entire country? 2nd. If you phase it out completely on new devices you are going to have compatibility issues, and people will have to do conversions and won't know what to do. I have no problem with puting SI as primary on everything, but I don't think it is wise to remove imperial since that is what people know.
    Australia, Canada, the UK and India have all gone from the Imperial system to the SI system of measurement. The US can do it too. Besides, most large companies (including the entire automotive industry) are already metricated in the United States. The only parts of their operations that are imperial are those that are customer-facing.

  3. #133
    Cammunist Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    986

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    Then you might think it quaint to hear my uncles use links when referring to surveying their farmland.
    Never heard of links.

  4. #134
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,171
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    The metric system being more accurate? WRONG. Using whole numbers, the metric system is more precise. If you go to decimal places, they are equally accurate
    ... the US customary units are defined by the metric system equivolents. If you were to go ask the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) what an 'inch' was, they'd reply "We define the inch as 25.4 millimetres." It occurs this way, because the metric system is more precise.

  5. #135
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Howdy,

    I was thinking, wouldn't it be better if the USA finally adopted the International System of Units?

    Because...



    So, what do you think?


    It was tried in the 70s when I was a kid. They taught us all the metric system in elementary school... for a while, most road signs were in both miles and kilometers... many cars were made with kilometer readings as well as mph... but it didn't take. People just didn't want to switch; they wanted to stick with what they were used to.

    I use either and don't really care. When I'm doing something science-related, I tend to use what I still call "metric" measurements... km, kg, etc.... because they're easier and more precise to work with in such things. On a day to day basis, though, I use the "imperial" system like everyone else does.


    It isn't really important, IMO.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #136
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Never heard of links.
    It is 7.92 inches.

    What measurement is a link


    Though now that i think about it they might have mentioned a chain instead. (66ft)

    Chain (unit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  7. #137
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The Imperial system is abhorrent and ridiculous. It needs to go immediately.

    SI is rational and makes sense. Go ask a random person on the street how many feet are in a mile, 95% will not be able to tell you. Ask someone from any other country how many meters are in a kilometer. The difference is redonkulous.

    Besides, most types of engineers and scientists already have switched to SI.
    There was a push to do it in the 1970s, and we really should have sucked it up then and done it. It'd be long done and over with by now.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #138
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    It was tried in the 70s when I was a kid. They taught us all the metric system in elementary school... for a while, most road signs were in both miles and kilometers... many cars were made with kilometer readings as well as mph... but it didn't take. People just didn't want to switch; they wanted to stick with what they were used to.

    I use either and don't really care. When I'm doing something science-related, I tend to use what I still call "metric" measurements... km, kg, etc.... because they're easier and more precise to work with in such things. On a day to day basis, though, I use the "imperial" system like everyone else does.


    It isn't really important, IMO.
    I think we're roughly the same age and I remember the same thing. Though I disagree and think we should have pushed it through.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #139
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I think we're roughly the same age and I remember the same thing. Though I disagree and think we should have pushed it through.

    If The People don't want it, it shouldn't be pushed on them. Free country, and all that.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #140
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should the USA adopt the International System of Units (SI)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    If The People don't want it, it shouldn't be pushed on them. Free country, and all that.
    You mean like income tax?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •