View Poll Results: Do you agree with the statement quoted in the OP?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, completely

    7 16.28%
  • I agree to a point, but not completely

    10 23.26%
  • I do not agree with the statement

    19 44.19%
  • I am unsure/something else completely

    7 16.28%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 109

Thread: Do You Agree With This Statement?

  1. #71
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do You Agree With This Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Actually, if you read the article, in context the statement meant: "Someday, blacks will be treated by the media as if they have volition of their own, but that day is not yet".

    But I suspect it was intentionally worded as it was specifically to invoke just such a response as yours.
    What do blacks have to do to win that right?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree With This Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I will try for you: have complete free will or be held personally accountable. Did you understand the preceding sentence in the OP link? We are constantly being told to hold minorities to different (usually lower) standards of behavior, speech or eductional levels often without realizing just how rediculously offensive/demeaning that really is.
    That's the part I don't think is true.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #73
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Do You Agree With This Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Who is telling you that? I have never had any one tell me that.
    What? Did you not see/hear the excuses made for the speaking manner/attitude of Rachel Jeantel? Keep in mind that she was born and raised in this country and attends public school.

    Media excuse/appologist links for Rachel's manner of speaking:
    Rachel Jeantel Explained, Linguistically | TIME.com

    Rachel Jeantel's Language is English

    In her own words what she means (now) when she says "creepy ass cracka":
    Patterico's Pontifications » Rachel Jeantel Tells Piers Morgan “Creepy Ass Cracka” Does Not Refer to a White Person, Morgan “Forgets” Her Courtroom Testimony to the Contrary
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #74
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Do You Agree With This Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's the part I don't think is true.
    What part? You indicated nothing in your reply with quote.

    Here is what I said, again:

    I will try for you: have complete free will or be held personally accountable. Did you understand the preceding sentence in the OP link? We are constantly being told to hold minorities to different (usually lower) standards of behavior, speech or eductional levels often without realizing just how rediculously offensive/demeaning that really is.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #75
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do You Agree With This Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What? Did you not see/hear the excuses made for the speaking manner/attitude of Rachel Jeantel? Keep in mind that she was born and raised in this country and attends public school.

    Media excuse/appologist links for Rachel's manner of speaking:
    Rachel Jeantel Explained, Linguistically | TIME.com

    Rachel Jeantel's Language is English

    In her own words what she means (now) when she says "creepy ass cracka":
    Patterico's Pontifications » Rachel Jeantel Tells Piers Morgan “Creepy Ass Cracka” Does Not Refer to a White Person, Morgan “Forgets” Her Courtroom Testimony to the Contrary
    I do not have a clue who Rachel Jeantel is, nor is anything you say proving your claim. Hint: once is not the same as constantly.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #76
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Do You Agree With This Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What do blacks have to do to win that right?
    If I told them, wouldn't I be assuming they didn't have said volition?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #77
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree With This Statement?

    R
    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What part? You indicated nothing in your reply with quote.

    Here is what I said, again:

    I will try for you: have complete free will or be held personally accountable. Did you understand the preceding sentence in the OP link? We are constantly being told to hold minorities to different (usually lower) standards of behavior, speech or eductional levels often without realizing just how rediculously offensive/demeaning that really is.
    The part I highlighted. No one has ever followed me no matter where I have walked. No police officer ever assumed I was or might be guilty of anything. Women have never crossed the street when I walked near them. Explaining this and the effects if this is not holding minorities to a different let alone lower standard. This is largely a false narrative put forth my whites, often white males.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 07-20-13 at 02:07 AM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #78
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Do You Agree With This Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not have a clue who Rachel Jeantel is, nor is anything you say proving your claim. Hint: once is not the same as constantly.
    I gave you an ample and recent example of my point. Either accept it or ignore it, but do not attempt to dismiss it because you do not know who the subject is. Surely you remember seeing many discussions about "black English", ebonics and "urban culture". Allow me try to give you more examples (to ignore or dismiss):

    Florida's Race-based Goals For Students Spark Debate

    Why It's Time to Get Rid of Standardized Tests | TIME.com

    http://www.fairtest.org/sites/defaul...ting_12-10.pdf
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #79
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Do You Agree With This Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    R

    The part I highlighted. No one has ever followed me no matter where I have walked. No police officer ever assumed I was or might be guilty of anything. Women have never crossed the street when I walked near them. Explaining this and the effects if this is not holding minorities to a different let alone lower standard. This is largely a false narrative put forth my whites, often white males.
    Thank you. Redress has raised similar doubts, let me refer you to my posts #75 and #78 in this thread for examples that I have linked to.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #80
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree With This Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Thank you. Redress has raised similar doubts, let me refer you to my posts #75 and #78 in this thread for examples that I have linked to.
    Not much there that is really helpful. I remember one very smart young lady who asked me once how could the way she spoke be wrong when everyone she knew spoke that way. She has a point. What we call proper is largely arbitrary. And nothing is more useless than a standardized test. Explaining a problem is not lowering standards. Nor is questioning the arbitrary standard. It is factually that blacks experience our country differently than whites do. We as whites are lucky that everything fits in mostly with how we experience the country. Believing that there is a neutral, objective standard is largely false.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •