View Poll Results: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder relavent

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    11 18.64%
  • no

    36 61.02%
  • maybe/other

    12 20.34%
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 251

Thread: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder relavent

  1. #61
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    On a battlefield, you really think it matters if it is a 10yr old or a 50yr old pointing an AK at you? The only things that matter then are who pulls the trigger first and how good their aim is.
    Yes. Of course i do. Because like whats already been said before, children and minors are easy to manipulate.


  2. #62
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    In some cases, yeah I think it should. For example, if Trayvon had been 10 instead of 17, it would have been a hell of a lot harder to make the argument that he was threatening Zimmerman's life.

    In the Zimmerman case in particular I don't think it matters. Martin obviously had the physical size and strength of an adult, making him as much of a threat as anyone who was legally an adult.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  3. #63
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,bank robber, attempted rapist/murder relevant?
    As you might imagine, living in the South everything is very "race sensitive". If a crime is committed the local authorities will give you a complete description of the suspect...unless he or she is black. The only way we can tell if the suspect is black is if the authorities do not mention race, at all.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  4. #64
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    So it sounds like you are saying that he was "sauntering" and his gate implies what exactly? That he is a criminal?
    No, I said he might have acted like he was "stoned" which is why Zimmerman noticed him.

    Have you ever smoked pot? Believe me....it does not make you hostile or a threat.
    I never said it did....I said it could make some people feel "paranoid". But then who wouldn't feel paranoid if someone was following them on a dark rainy night? So if Trayvon was stoned he could have been super paranoid that Zimmerman was following him and that would have an effect on how he reacted.

    Besides, the information I saw regarding the amount of marijuana in his system was that it was so minimal that it was considered irrelevant.
    Were the tests done by the same coroner who forgot to test for internal bruising on Trayvons knuckles? Depending on the quality of pot, it doesn't take very much to get stoned does it? Cuz, I remember when it used to take a whole bag. Nowadays you just need a pinch. So the amount of pot in his system post mortum is not neccessarily relevant to how stoned he was when he was alive. Just the fact it's there in his system is relevant enough to speculate that TM was stoned.

    Do you see the many assumptions made in your post?
    No, but I see the many assumptions you made from my post.
    Last edited by Moot; 07-18-13 at 08:41 PM.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I personally refer to anyone under 30 as a kid at this point. When a teen dies in an accident people say, "He was just a kid." It's actually quite common.
    I know what you mean...even when people die in their 50s people say that was too young.

    And I don't ****ing care if it was Snoop Dogg (or Lion or whatever he calls himself these days): Zimmerman does what was asked him by the dispatcher and what is policy of Neighborhood Watch - and everyone's alive.

    Zimmerman's initial bad judgment led to everything. Without that, we hear nothing about these two. Martin's alive and Zimmerman can remain paranoid in trying to take out "punks."
    Thats right, it was Zimmerman's bad judgement to get out of the car and follow him on foot. But it could also be argued that it was Trayvons behaviour that made him look suspicous enough to be noticed by Zimmerman....so suspicious in fact that he broke 'protocol' to follow him.

    The make-up or content of Martin's character has dick-all to do with it, other than to let certain people feel glad that he's dead.
    Thats why evidence regarding his character wasn't introduced into the trial. I think I"ve said that several times now already.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    why does a ten year old child want to attack you in your house,,

    not so reasonable
    I didn't say one did. I said IF one did, it would make no difference to me. BTW, 10 is not that uncommon in gangs in some areas.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Hmm - do you remember years ago when we talked about that kid who killed his father's girlfriend and he was sentenced to an adult prison - though, physically, they weren't able to care for him (like - they didn't have his size clothes, etc)? . . . I think, in that debate, we tossed around the growing necessity of needing a high-security teen-prison. (It might not have been you - I can't even remember what year that was. 2009?)
    Nope, wasn't me Auntie, I've only been here a little over a year now.

    Because a lot of juveniles haven't done anything as extreme as cause bodily harm or death - a 13 year old stealing is different than a 17 year old killing someone.

    So - the issue, it seems, is that we still haven't addressed that fact that (apparently) more and more youth are committing the higher-level crimes - and the solution is either A) put them with the juvenile delinquents whom they will be a harm to or B) put them with adults who will be a harm to them.
    I agree that this is an issue. Separating juveniles by age group and type of crime is a good idea. I don't know if some places already do this or not. Like I disagree with putting a habitual thief in a cell with a lifelong gang member.

    I actually care - maybe it should be decided individually based on the student and their physical aptitude.

    I believe juveniles who've committed minor crimes still have a future - and they shouldn't be burdened and held back by bunking with a murderer.

    (Of course - I know that's not what the OP was about)
    It sounds like good common sense to me.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Martin's decisions matter less, because he didn't place himself in the circumstance. Zimmerman did. I'm not saying Martin didn't have a part. He did. But he didn't instigate the events. Zimmerman did.

    I'm really afraid of the precedent this sets.

    Imagine a bully in school following a kid down the hall, but the scrawny kid turns out to be stronger than the bully thought. Now, the bully can just claim self-defense and shoot. That he instigated things doesn't matter any more.

    Hell, as long as he doesn't say so, a potential rapist can initiate an attack and if the woman fights back and is a little stronger than he thought, he can shoot her and claim self-defense as long as there is no one to verify that he intended to rape her.

    As it is now, we're going to have another one of these trials with a guy who started an argument over the "hip-hop being too loud" and shot a kid who was sitting in a car. And he's claiming self-defense.

    It's a terrible precedent that allows aggressors to claim victimhood in the act of taking out their prey.
    I understand your concern, though I think it is not warranted. I think that there were also things Trayvon could have easily done to avoid the conflict as well. His decision to strike out was also a bad decision and unwarranted, IMO, given the situation of someone following. I would have tried to get away and call the police, or maybe even spoken and asked if there was something I could help him with or what does he want and tried to explain myself.

    I'm sorry, but I'm not buying into your hyperbolic examples. This case was decided in the way it was because of a lack of evidence to convict Mr. Zimmerman of any wrong doing. You cannot convict someone because of what you THINK went down without proper evidence of such. That would make our courts unjust.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yes.. Of course it does. If its like a kid, hell of course its relevant.
    Its no wonder the "foot soldiers" of gangs are 14 and 15 year olds.............
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Right, because that means he should die.
    I don't recall anyone saying that he should die for smoking "a big spleef" do you?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •