View Poll Results: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder relavent

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    11 18.64%
  • no

    36 61.02%
  • maybe/other

    12 20.34%
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 251

Thread: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder relavent

  1. #241
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The thing is though that juveniles are capable of being rehabilitated. Sometimes they're violent because of an abusive home situation or whatever, and they ARE young enough that rehabilitation apparently works VERY well, so if we could rehabilitate a minor to become a productive member of society rather than a leach in the prison system, I think that would work out well. Of course, this all would be dependent on the level of violence and other such factors. If it is a person who is of 15 or 16 years of age and they are involved in crime (yes, they can have "priors" as long as they aren't actually an adult yet - juvenile record isn't sealed until you are 18 in most places I believe), say this particular person is a gang member and has priors, then perhaps that person should be tried as an adult if only to protect society.

    Of course these are just my opinions. I'm not a lawmaker or anything so . . .
    Actually a juvenile record is sealed period..... only the relevant juvenile justice system and "counselors" (and I don't mean attorneys) get to see it. By "relevant Juvneile Justice System" I mean whatever it may be called in a particular state, like the "North Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention" (if that doesn't tell you how worthless they are at actually handling serious crimes I don't know what will).

    I understand many juveniles can be rehabilitated. However, murder, ADWISI, ADWIKISI, and multiple armed robbery/rape charges are things that should not be handled by the DJJDP.


    Of course, these are also just my opinions...... as an ex-cop who has seen how worthless Juvenile Justice is....
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Actually a juvenile record is sealed period..... only the relevant juvenile justice system and "counselors" (and I don't mean attorneys) get to see it. By "relevant Juvneile Justice System" I mean whatever it may be called in a particular state, like the "North Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention" (if that doesn't tell you how worthless they are at actually handling serious crimes I don't know what will).

    I understand many juveniles can be rehabilitated. However, murder, ADWISI, ADWIKISI, and multiple armed robbery/rape charges are things that should not be handled by the DJJDP.


    Of course, these are also just my opinions...... as an ex-cop who has seen how worthless Juvenile Justice is....
    I wouldn't argue that it probably needs improvement. There's always room for improvement.

    Well, I'm sure you know more about it than I do then. Where would you draw the line between charging one as a juvenile as opposed to an adult. If a 12-year-old child commits a murder, should that child face the rest of his/her life in prison like an adult, or perhaps even execution?

  3. #243
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I wouldn't argue that it probably needs improvement. There's always room for improvement.

    Well, I'm sure you know more about it than I do then. Where would you draw the line between charging one as a juvenile as opposed to an adult. If a 12-year-old child commits a murder, should that child face the rest of his/her life in prison like an adult, or perhaps even execution?

    Oh lord..... that decision would have to take into account SO many more variables and aggravating/mitigating circumstances more than just age and crime.....
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Oh lord..... that decision would have to take into account SO many more variables and aggravating/mitigating circumstances more than just age and crime.....
    Well I for one can't imagine putting a child of even 15 years old to death, and some states have the death penalty, so there is always the possibility that if a child is charged as an adult he or she could face the death penalty. I also would think that penalizing a child so young to the rest of his/her life in prison is penalizing them even more than an adult because they would have a lot more years to serve.

    But I agree that the crime and other variables have to be considered.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well I for one can't imagine putting a child of even 15 years old to death, and some states have the death penalty, so there is always the possibility that if a child is charged as an adult he or she could face the death penalty. I also would think that penalizing a child so young to the rest of his/her life in prison is penalizing them even more than an adult because they would have a lot more years to serve.

    But I agree that the crime and other variables have to be considered.
    Those states wouldn't put a 15 year old to death either.
    Often young murderers don't serve life sentences for that matter.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #246
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Those states wouldn't put a 15 year old to death either.
    Often young murderers don't serve life sentences for that matter.
    Okay, but wouldn't that be because they were charged as juveniles?

    I should probably also say that I'm for getting rid of parole. No more getting out on good behavior while you're in prison, which is kind of joke anyway if you ask me. I think that life should mean LIFE. Not 30 years or 20 years or whatever the heck they might get. So in MY justice system, adults who were sentenced to life would die in prison, but people under 18 would be attempted to be rehabilitated, depending on the severity of the crime, their record, among other factors. So it's not like I want to be light on crime or anything, I just think that kids should be given a bit more leniency.

  7. #247
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well I for one can't imagine putting a child of even 15 years old to death, and some states have the death penalty, so there is always the possibility that if a child is charged as an adult he or she could face the death penalty. I also would think that penalizing a child so young to the rest of his/her life in prison is penalizing them even more than an adult because they would have a lot more years to serve.

    But I agree that the crime and other variables have to be considered.
    Don't you oppose the death penalty anyway? Or I could have that wrong.

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Don't you oppose the death penalty anyway? Or I could have that wrong.
    Correct. But I do think that life should mean life in prison.

  9. #249
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    So it would seem the question to you really is should a 16 year old ever be sent to prison for life?

  10. #250
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    now if you had rigged up a trip wire with a flare or better yet a claymore mine, not only would you have heard the little miscreant breaking in, you'd still have your purse
    LOL You've been watching Home Alone, haven't you?

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •