View Poll Results: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder relavent

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    11 18.64%
  • no

    36 61.02%
  • maybe/other

    12 20.34%
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 251

Thread: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder relavent

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    It was relevant in this case because the media manipulated the public into believing Trayvon was just a "little boy" skipping home with his little bag of candy as opposed to a full grown young man sauntering home after smoking a big spleef.
    The media was totally dishonest in their representation of Trayvon, purposefully leaving details about him out of the public eye, portraying him as if he was much younger than he actually was by showing years' old pictures of him.

  2. #12
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I noticed that some of the Treyvon Martin supporters keep bringing up the fact he was a kid and I know some people think it does matter that an assailant was a minor.So I thought I would ask the following question- Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,bank robber, attempted rapist/murder relevant? For example if a burglar is killed inside someone's home should the homeowner be in legal trouble if that burglar is a minor? If a bank robber is killed while trying to rob a bank and that bank robber is a minor should that concerned citizen or security guard be in legal trouble?
    Age is a fickle thing because at a split moment - you can only judge based on appearance. If they're armed or otherwise violent, that's the last thing on your mind. With the way some people are going on - you practically have to card a criminal before you respond. LOL

    Martin was 17 - almost a legal adult, and old enough to consent to a sexual relationship. He was not a kid - as that, to me, - denotes a pre-teen individual (younger than 13). He was a teenager.

    In Little Rock (in Arkansas - my state): a 27 year old male was shot the other day after he stole a car / fled from the police / pulled out a weapon. People protested for a while and some were on TV referring to him as "a kid." With sentiments such as "they need to stop harassing our kids." These are band-wagon jumpers, and total morons. They only knew a black person was shot by a police officer in their neighborhood and automatically assumed all the wrong things - and looked foolish in the end.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    I hate the notion of trying as a minor or as an adult. You do the crime, you do the EQUAL time of anybody else.
    You think a 12 year old should face the same penalties as a 30 year old?

  4. #14
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    It was relevant in this case because the media manipulated the public into believing Trayvon was just a "little boy" skipping home with his little bag of candy as opposed to a full grown young man sauntering home after smoking a big spleef.
    Right, because that means he should die.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Age is a fickle thing because at a split moment - you can only judge based on appearance. If they're armed or otherwise violent, that's the last thing on your mind. With the way some people are going on - you practically have to card a criminal before you respond. LOL

    Martin was 17 - almost a legal adult, and old enough to consent to a sexual relationship. He was not a kid - as that, to me, - denotes a pre-teen individual (younger than 13). He was a teenager.

    In Little Rock (in Arkansas - my state): a 27 year old male was shot the other day after he stole a car / fled from the police / pulled out a weapon. People protested for a while and some were on TV referring to him as "a kid." With sentiments such as "they need to stop harassing our kids." These are band-wagon jumpers, and total morons. They only knew a black person was shot by a police officer in their neighborhood and automatically assumed all the wrong things - and looked foolish in the end.
    Well, if you're familiar with my posts on the subject of children, I think they should be considered and treated as adults when they are 18. Some will say that's arbitrary, but it's really a generally acceptable age of adulthood IMO. And even that might be kind of young when considering current scientific knowledge about the differences in the brains of teens and adults.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,419
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    It was relevant in this case because the media manipulated the public into believing Trayvon was just a "little boy" skipping home with his little bag of candy as opposed to a full grown young man sauntering home after smoking a big spleef.
    Weakest spleef in the history of man, by the toxicology report.

    LONG after, by the science.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Right, because that means he should die.
    I don't think that was her point. Her point was how the media portrayed him as more child-like than what he actually was in reality. He was almost an adult and not at all child-like in appearance at least.

  8. #18
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You think a 12 year old should face the same penalties as a 30 year old?
    Absolutely
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I noticed that some of the Treyvon Martin supporters keep bringing up the fact he was a kid and I know some people think it does matter that an assailant was a minor.So I thought I would ask the following question- Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,bank robber, attempted rapist/murder relevant? For example if a burglar is killed inside someone's home should the homeowner be in legal trouble if that burglar is a minor? If a bank robber is killed while trying to rob a bank and that bank robber is a minor should that concerned citizen or security guard be in legal trouble?

    Yes and no... I mean sure nobody wants to shoot a little kid, if they have any heart at all... BUT. There have been cases of some really vicious young gangers, under 13 even, who have committed various crimes including murder, often at the behest of older gang members.

    If a 10yo points a gun at you and acts like they really will use it.... you do what you feel you have to do.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the age of a dead burglar,assailant,armed robber, attempted rapist/murder rela

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Absolutely
    I disagree. The mental capabilities of a child are not equal to that of an adult.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •