View Poll Results: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the majority of men would benefit

    0 0%
  • Yes, the majority of women would benefit

    0 0%
  • Yes, the majority of men and women would benefit

    4 16.67%
  • Yes, I don't care who would or would not benefit, as long as it doesn't affect me

    2 8.33%
  • Yes, I want to be able to engage in polyandry or polygamy without being stigmatized

    2 8.33%
  • Yes, this wouldn't have any appreciable effect on society

    3 12.50%
  • No, this would not be good for society

    7 29.17%
  • No, marriage is supposed to be between one man and one woman

    4 16.67%
  • No, marriage is supposed to be between two people only

    2 8.33%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

  1. #11
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

    Oops I made a typo in the OP.... it reads:

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Contrary to what most people may believe, evolutionarily speaking, the institution of marriage between one man and one woman actually benefits men more than women.
    Its should read:

    Contrary to what most people may believe, evolutionarily speaking, the institution of marriage between one man and one woman actually benefits women more than men.

    Anyone know how to fix this in the OP... is it possible to fix it?

  2. #12
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    We have a nearly equal number of males and females. What possible reason would we want all the hot women "bought" up by rich SOB's?
    This is exactly my point... supporting this would be bad for most men and thus, it would be bad for society as a whole

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I doubt this would have a significant impact on society. Frankly I question the mental/emotional health of sets of folks who would willingly engage in polygamous arrangements. Who's being abused and controlled in this arrangement? Who's the abuser/controller? Are these really normal, healthy, functional people, on average?

    I think these people exist on the margins, and not just because it's stigmatized, but because it doesn't really work any better than infidelity or open relationships.
    I agree with this too. Lets see if we have anyone who disagrees.....

  3. #13
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    All your premises aside, a person's sexual relationships are their own business. Obviously, the young-girl-abusing nature of some forms of polygamy certainly warrants concern, but that is a consent and coercion issue. Adults can basically do whatever they want with each other. I see no reason for any social stigma.

    Do you see any way that polygamy or polyandry could be harmful to society?

  4. #14
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    "Hi, I'm Randy. I have sixteen wives and one husband. My girlfriend thinks I'm not very enlightened having just one male spouse, but what does she know? She's just the mistress".
    So what is your point/argument? Spell it out for us please

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Ah, the carnal charms of unfettered Socialism....
    I am curious how you think socialism is related to this topic .... ? ?

  5. #15
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    In the societies out there which practice polyandry or polygamy, there is a specific reason and benefit. These reasons and benefits are different and based on things like social-order, hierarchy, familial responsibilities, inheritance, etc. It is not a social-norm issue which relies on public acceptance. If it does, that's usually in cases where the royal family or leader of the tribe (etc) is permitted to have more than one wife (or vise versa) to aid in the duties therein (beyond parenting children) - yet the individuals who rank beneath him/her are not permitted to do so.

    In the US we cater to the individual needs and desires - we don't rely on social norms and other considerations to form most of our beliefs and living concerns. Thus, when people are told "you cannot do ___" in the areas where society does insert itself - they become personally opinion. The self, in these situations, is ranked too high.

    "I should be able to do whatever I want" is the thought process for such people.

    In truth, there's simply no reason or benefit beyond immediate personal desires for such relationships. There are no royal customs, there are no land-rights, there is no fear that the family cannot continuously divide their land for each male born, etc. There are only a few people who just want to for no reason other than their own personal desires.

    In the US - we uphold individuality but "because I want to" doesn't cut it.
    So you are saying you feel there should be some societal gain in supporting things like polygamy or polyandry ... ? ?

  6. #16
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Do you see any way that polygamy or polyandry could be harmful to society?
    Filled entirely with consenting adults, not really.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #17
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Filled entirely with consenting adults, not really.
    OK... for arguments sake though... lets say these types of relationships were encouraged so much that they were no longer counterculture and became mainstream. I am not sure this would happen unless most men slowly became babbling idiots, but for arguments sake, lets say it did. Lets say polygamy became the norm. How many pissed off men do you think there would be in the world? Sure the few men with all the money most certainly would consent and the women would hesitantly consent.... however.... I am not sure how impressed all the single men would be about it!! LOL! In all reality, it would probably be a recipe for disaster for society (read about the effects of having sex compared to not having sex). So really... no harm done right?

  8. #18
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    So you are saying you feel there should be some societal gain in supporting things like polygamy or polyandry ... ? ?
    Somewhat - I'm saying that in the nations/areas where it is an acceptable practice: there's a specific reason for it. It's backed up, supported, or upheld for concerns and interests beyond "I want to marry two people."

    In the US that's all there is to it. "I want to marry two people"
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #19
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

    If one man has 5 wives, then 4 men have none. Can you just imagine how the expression of all that pent up lust will manifest itself?


    Oh, you say we are already seeing that on the world stage? Yeah, I guess you have a point.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #20
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should we take steps to remove the social stigma on polyandry and polygamy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    If one man has 5 wives, then 4 men have none. Can you just imagine how the expression of all that pent up lust will manifest itself?


    Oh, you say we are already seeing that on the world stage? Yeah, I guess you have a point.
    Well - in certain areas where it's practiced that's not the concern: Indonesia (in the past) where polyandry was practiced (one woman, multiple males) Females often left their current village to marry outside the village (since villagers were related). Any sons born to a mother were expected to stay at their home, on their farm, and work the land - not traveling to find 2 wives, or 3 wives to bring back so each could marry and each father a large number of children.

    And thus - they would all find 1 wife, she'd have several children. If it's a girl - she's sent off to marry. If they have boy(s) they stay and all will inherit the land. Thus - the land is never divided, it can still sustain a small family, everyone is taken care of.

    There was no welfare, no government support, and no large quantities of food to buy at a grocery store. Subsistence farming and nothing more.

    And repeat.

    Two main goals: 1) to never have to divide the family land - one large area supports the same number of people. 2) Overpopulation is much less of a concern.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •