View Poll Results: Government spying on citizens or travel restrictions from anti-American regions?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • No travel restrictions simply based on country or origin. Keep surveillance programs in place.

    1 14.29%
  • Curtail surveillance programs against Americans and stop hostile region travel instead.

    6 85.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigration?

  1. #1
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigration?

    Now France is reported to have illegally spied on its citizens. The arguments are predictable; the measures are needed as security efforts to preemptively combat terrorism. The often unspoken truth is twenty-first century terrorism has one thing in common; its roots originate in the Middle-East, directly or indirectly.

    The question arises; which is better? Support government efforts to continue to spy on its own people or enact policies that end or sharply curtail travel into and from the west from countries where strong western sentiment in common? Commensurate with new travel restrictions, the government begins to scale back domestic surveillance on citizens.

    If countries where high anti-American sentanent exists want their citizens to be able to come here again they must meet certain benchmarks over time.

    - Fair and balanced equal time over media outlets that bash America.
    - Defunding of educational institutions that advance anti-American ideologies.
    - Pro-American curriculum taught in their classrooms that highlight the good things America has done throughout its history as well as dipicting American life in a positive light.

    No one is forced; if they would prefer to not to do so, great, don't come here.

    Or is spying on Americans to see what if any contact we have with people from anti-American regions is going on a better idea?
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #2
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    The government has no business spying on we the people ie their employers. We should scrutinize everyone who comes into this country and be choosey in who we let in.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #3
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The government has no business spying on we the people ie their employers. We should scrutinize everyone who comes into this country and be choosey in who we let in.
    I think you rang the bell. Every elected official needs to constantly remind themselves who is the boss and who is the employee.

    I get the fact that a big part of their job is protecting the American people so I understand. I do support search warrants but think a better idea is if the problem with homeland security is imported then it only makes sense to focus on the imports themselves and not wait until they get here and focus on Americans to see if they have interaction with the imports.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  4. #4
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    How about a third alternative: grow a ****ing spine and stop acting like a fascist because you are afraid of the terrorist bogeyman. Unconstitutional surveillance should be banned and immigrants should be judged on their own merits as individuals.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    More thorough background checks on anyone who travels internationally to the region or any region known for high amounts of terrorism.

    If you have family in Riyadh, I have no problem with you getting to the airport 8 hours ahead of your departure time and preparing for a TSA agent to crawl up your ass sideways.

  6. #6
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    More thorough background checks on anyone who travels internationally to the region or any region known for high amounts of terrorism.

    If you have family in Riyadh, I have no problem with you getting to the airport 8 hours ahead of your departure time and preparing for a TSA agent to crawl up your ass sideways.
    When I returned from Kenya, after two years (and including a flight to Ethiopia), my check-in luggage was dumped and inspected by customs.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    When I returned from Kenya, after two years, my check-in luggage was dumped and inspected by customs.
    Quit smuggling in marathon runners.

  8. #8
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Quit smuggling in marathon runners.
    I prefer the title "Sports Agent".

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Is the Left for anything that doesn't affect votes for Democrat candidates?

  10. #10
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Now France is reported to have illegally spied on its citizens. The arguments are predictable; the measures are needed as security efforts to preemptively combat terrorism. The often unspoken truth is twenty-first century terrorism has one thing in common; its roots originate in the Middle-East, directly or indirectly.

    The question arises; which is better? Support government efforts to continue to spy on its own people or enact policies that end or sharply curtail travel into and from the west from countries where strong western sentiment in common? Commensurate with new travel restrictions, the government begins to scale back domestic surveillance on citizens.

    If countries where high anti-American sentanent exists want their citizens to be able to come here again they must meet certain benchmarks over time.

    - Fair and balanced equal time over media outlets that bash America.
    - Defunding of educational institutions that advance anti-American ideologies.
    - Pro-American curriculum taught in their classrooms that highlight the good things America has done throughout its history as well as dipicting American life in a positive light.

    No one is forced; if they would prefer to not to do so, great, don't come here.

    Or is spying on Americans to see what if any contact we have with people from anti-American regions is going on a better idea?
    Not sure we really need to do either of those things. Our immigration should be relatively open and the government should certainly not be spying on everyone.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •