View Poll Results: Government spying on citizens or travel restrictions from anti-American regions?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • No travel restrictions simply based on country or origin. Keep surveillance programs in place.

    1 14.29%
  • Curtail surveillance programs against Americans and stop hostile region travel instead.

    6 85.71%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigration?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Are you willing to have the TSA crawl up your ass 8 hours before every flight? Or are you really so blind that you think that it will never be turned on you?
    I'm not in the danger zone.

    You forget - I don't object to profiling.

  2. #22
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm not in the danger zone.

    You forget - I don't object to profiling.
    Because you won't be profiled. It's really easy to support discrimination against other people, isn't it?

    To the OP, terrorism is such a minor threat to our lives and safety. We spend millions more in time and money fighting terrorists than they do terrorizing us. There is not danger around every corner, nor a scheming Jihaddist on every airplane coming out of Muslim countries. Terrorism is just the next overblown boogeyman, now that the scary commies are out of the picture. Let's stop letting our unfounded fears shape our lives so much. When we do that, that's the terrorists winning. Remember that line? We became less like America and more like them because we were afraid of them. The terrorists won. Why does anyone continue to let that happen?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #23
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,965

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Surveillance has already increased to levels that are potentially lethal for a democracy. In other words, it's too late. The NSA discovery is just the tip of the iceberg. The private sector is investing billions and billions of dollars in information gathering and monitoring, all with the nod of government. If the government isn't the one directly monitoring us, then the private sector will, and the government will buy the information from them.

    People in this country are incredibly naive about the level of tyranny that is already happening. They think that the three branches of government or independent review is going to stop it. It's not. With 25% of Americans on the government tit and realistic unemployment teetering at 15% of more, we should be having people lining the streets, Egypt-style, within the next 2-3 years. The government is already preparing for such an eventuality, but people would rather watch the George Zimmerman case than learn more about the flaws of this economic system and the power grabs / security nightmare that is being created by it.

    Realistically, our economy crashed in 2008. Fiat money is the only thing standing between the status quo and widespread dissent. The government is just delaying the inevitable while it implements control plans. When the **** hits the fan, the more people on the government tit, the better. The more dependent you are, the less likely you'll be to dissent. Even in the past 5 years, I have seen more new controls put into place than in the past 15. Wake up people.
    Last edited by Northern Light; 07-08-13 at 01:50 PM.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Because you won't be profiled. It's really easy to support discrimination against other people, isn't it?

    To the OP, terrorism is such a minor threat to our lives and safety. We spend millions more in time and money fighting terrorists than they do terrorizing us. There is not danger around every corner, nor a scheming Jihaddist on every airplane coming out of Muslim countries. Terrorism is just the next overblown boogeyman, now that the scary commies are out of the picture. Let's stop letting our unfounded fears shape our lives so much. When we do that, that's the terrorists winning. Remember that line? We became less like America and more like them because we were afraid of them. The terrorists won. Why does anyone continue to let that happen?
    Tell ya what - when whitey starts flying planes into buildings, I'll clear my schedule on international flight day.

  5. #25
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm not in the danger zone.

    You forget - I don't object to profiling.
    The only reason you don't object to profiling is because you don't think it will ever target you. Have you already forgotten the pre-9/11 world? McVeigh as the terrorist du jour and it was those "anti government whackjobs" who the government was going after as the threat to America. Anti-government people like Libertarians would clearly be a risk and would need to be profiled for the security of the nation.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I agree with the TSA being abolished, but I don't think extensive and thorough background checks to be "infringing" on anything.
    It is so long as you are unreasonably and without warrant searching and or seizing my papers, effects, property, or person.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #27
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm not in the danger zone.

    You forget - I don't object to profiling.
    I object to improper government force. But then again I'm libertarian, and we don't take to kindly to aggressive, uncontrolled government force.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #28
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Support government surveillance on citizens or sharply curtail Mid-East immigrati

    As long as it doesn't affect me, it's ok!
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •