View Poll Results: See above.

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • The conspiratorial view

    2 5.88%
  • The progressive view

    19 55.88%
  • The perspectivist view

    11 32.35%
  • The economic view

    2 5.88%
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 234

Thread: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

  1. #141
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

    Christianity's decline is due to the fact that it is a religion of choice and that has been realized by all mainstream Christian groups. No one here is erecting speakers above churches to force people to listen to prayers 5 times a day. I don't remember the last time a person was stoned, hung, etc by a mainstream Christian group. It is a free choice of whether a person wants to be a Christian or not. Many choose not to be a Christian due to what is perceived as to be a lifestyle that "isnt fun" in my opinion. Im sure a lot of you will dispute my last statement and you are free to do so. It is simply my opinion.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Christianity's decline is due to the fact that it is a religion of choice and that has been realized by all mainstream Christian groups. No one here is erecting speakers above churches to force people to listen to prayers 5 times a day. I don't remember the last time a person was stoned, hung, etc by a mainstream Christian group. It is a free choice of whether a person wants to be a Christian or not. Many choose not to be a Christian due to what is perceived as to be a lifestyle that "isnt fun" in my opinion. Im sure a lot of you will dispute my last statement and you are free to do so. It is simply my opinion.


    Well, after 2013 years of this garbage, it isn't so strange for some to have abandoned this inane trek to Jerusalem.....................

  3. #143
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Well, after 2013 years of this garbage, it isn't so strange for some to have abandoned this inane trek to Jerusalem.....................
    Who's trekking to Jerusalem? Oh, you were trying to make a smarmy point that has no real intellectual value. Got it.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Who's trekking to Jerusalem? Oh, you were trying to make a smarmy point that has no real intellectual value. Got it.
    You are...............

  5. #145
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    You are...............
    Well, I am wearing sandals right now but other than that what would lead you to believe that I am currently "trekking" to Jerusalem? There are a few issues with that:
    1) I am an American, living in America. I cannot "trek" the Atlantic Ocean. Jesus walked on water. Us non-Sons of God cannot.
    2) I am currently typing on a computer. Typing (on a laptop) and "trekking" is virtually impossible.
    3) Unlike the faith of Islam, we (Christians) don't have to visit a certain place to fulfill a pillar.
    4) I have a job (US Marine) that would kind of frown upon me just up and leaving to "trek". That is, unless Im "trekking" in a helmet and body armor with a pack on. Then it's okay. I don't believe America will ever do any "trekking" of that kind in Israel though.
    5) If I were "trekking" to Israel, despite all of the aforementioned obstacles and restrictions that would prevent it, do you really believe I would be wasting my time with you while doing it? What if I stub my toe? I am wearing sandals after all (the only clue that suggests I am "trekking" right now btw).
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Well, I am wearing sandals right now but other than that what would lead you to believe that I am currently "trekking" to Jerusalem? There are a few issues with that:
    1) I am an American, living in America. I cannot "trek" the Atlantic Ocean. Jesus walked on water. Us non-Sons of God cannot.
    2) I am currently typing on a computer. Typing (on a laptop) and "trekking" is virtually impossible.
    3) Unlike the faith of Islam, we (Christians) don't have to visit a certain place to fulfill a pillar.
    4) I have a job (US Marine) that would kind of frown upon me just up and leaving to "trek". That is, unless Im "trekking" in a helmet and body armor with a pack on. Then it's okay. I don't believe America will ever do any "trekking" of that kind in Israel though.
    5) If I were "trekking" to Israel, despite all of the aforementioned obstacles and restrictions that would prevent it, do you really believe I would be wasting my time with you while doing it? What if I stub my toe? I am wearing sandals after all (the only clue that suggests I am "trekking" right now btw).


    Denial is not a good look for a man.....................

  7. #147
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    The ku klux klan is definitley is a christian organization. Only christians can join so its a christian organization.
    Promotion of Christianity, their specific brand of it, is certainly one of their goals. Just like any other religiously-based organization.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #148
    Advisor douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-16 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    458

    Re: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

    I feel it stems from the scientific progressiveness in the west; where the old day miracles are still a myth of religion, people see science based "miracles" on a regular basis. Where the bible speaks of healing the sick, the blind, the deaf, etc., no one has duplicated these via religion in modern history. Science has, on all three counts. That science has replaced religion as our source of miracles, it is replacing our source of hope. Excepting the unfortunate scientific illiteracy problems of the west, there just isn't any reason for religion to replace science, but plenty of reasons for science to replace religion. Case in point; I know plenty ex-christians, but not many ex-atheists. In contrast, the places where Christianity thrives are also places without much modern technological presence; North/Central Africa and some remote islands.

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Again, I still don't understand what you think I got wrong. The God who unleashed the plagues in the Old Testament is the same God that Jesus claimed to be. If you're saying it's not the same God, then that means you don't believe in the story of creation, adam and eve, and all the rest of it. Or is it only the plagues that was a "different" God, but all the stuff you happen to like was your God?

    Sorry dude, your line of reason is not only nonsensical from a non-religious perspective, but it's not even consistent with Christian beliefs. Jews and Christians believe in the same "base" God, it's whether Jesus was actually his son that they disagree on (and therefore whether we should care what Jesus said).
    No, my line of reasoning is quite sound, I assure you.

    You cannot talk of a Christian God before the appearance of Christ. There was no Christian God before Christ. How hard is it to grasp that concept?

    Christian God = Christ + God + The Holy Spirit.
    Jewish God = God (Yahweh) + The Holy Spirit

    The fact that there is a Christ in the equation of the Christian God makes the christian god =/= jewish God

    =/= means not equal.

    Another way to look at it mathematically.

    Jewish God - Christian god = -Jesus
    Christian God - Jewish God = Jesus
    Christian God - Christian God = 0
    Jewish god - jewish God = 0

    See how you have a jesus over there messing the mathematical equation? Yes? That is why you can't speak of a Christian God before the events of the New testament. Everything in the Old Testament is the jewish god. Everything in the new testament is the Christian God.

    It's like in chemistry.
    If you add another O to H2O, you get H2O2. If you drink H2O you live. If you drink H2O2 you die.
    Not saying that one religion is H2O and the other is H2O2. It's again, a metaphor.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: What is most responsible for Christianity's failure in the West?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    No, my line of reasoning is quite sound, I assure you.

    You cannot talk of a Christian God before the appearance of Christ. There was no Christian God before Christ. How hard is it to grasp that concept?

    Christian God = Christ + God + The Holy Spirit.
    Jewish God = God (Yahweh) + The Holy Spirit

    The fact that there is a Christ in the equation of the Christian God makes the christian god =/= jewish God

    =/= means not equal.

    Another way to look at it mathematically.

    Jewish God - Christian god = -Jesus
    Christian God - Jewish God = Jesus
    Christian God - Christian God = 0
    Jewish god - jewish God = 0

    See how you have a jesus over there messing the mathematical equation? Yes? That is why you can't speak of a Christian God before the events of the New testament. Everything in the Old Testament is the jewish god. Everything in the new testament is the Christian God.

    It's like in chemistry.
    If you add another O to H2O, you get H2O2. If you drink H2O you live. If you drink H2O2 you die.
    Not saying that one religion is H2O and the other is H2O2. It's again, a metaphor.
    Where did the Jewish God go when the Christian God showed up.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •