View Poll Results: Do you agree?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 57.14%
  • No, Whites are the most racist

    8 8.79%
  • No, They are the same

    12 13.19%
  • I Don't Know

    19 20.88%
Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 567

Thread: Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites [W:358]

  1. #201
    Educator Paratrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Al
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    888

    Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Here's the problem with your argument. It boils down to "black people need to hurry up and get over the past at the pace that I approve of." That's ridiculous. Historically, groups who have been seriously oppressed hold on to resentment for generations, particularly when the people in their own generation try to shame them for feeling such resentment. The fact is, you don't get to tell black people that slavery doesn't mean much because it was a long time ago. You don't get to tell black people how they should perceive racism. That you and others think you have a better handle on how black people should feel about how racism - current and historical - impacts them is a huge part of the problem in race relations today. People have been questioning black people's feelings on racism forever. To continue to do that and not simply say, "I get it" and stop there continues the problem.
    Just as they don't get to tell me that I as a white American am at fault for their plight, not I, nor my father, grand father, great grandfather, and so on all the way back to when my family immigrated here in 1683, not one of them owned a slave.

    Perfect example:
    I'm coming home the other day from hiking with my dog, and decide to swing by zaxbys and grab a salad. To get there I have to drive through the parking lot to get there. An African American couple is walking across the crosswalk at a fairly brisk pace and are looking ahead, about halfway across they look dead at me and then for the other half walk as slow as humanly possible for the rest of the way.

    I'd say this "I'm not going to hurry for a white man" attitude happens to me several times a week, upon speaking to friends about it they say it happens to them as we'll. I have never been rude or given or impatient with them.

    Its not just a perception thing because they actively slow their pace when they know you are waiting on them, like they derive some type of pleasure from this.

    Now I live in a predominately African American middle class neighborhood. None of them ever act like this and have been nothing but friendly neighbors. It is predominately the poor African Americans (at least from my experience) that behave in this manner.

  2. #202
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites [W:358]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    Just as they don't get to tell me that I as a white American am at fault for their plight, not I, nor my father, grand father, great grandfather, and so on all the way back to when my family immigrated here in 1683, not one of them owned a slave.

    Perfect example:
    I'm coming home the other day from hiking with my dog, and decide to swing by zaxbys and grab a salad. To get there I have to drive through the parking lot to get there. An African American couple is walking across the crosswalk at a fairly brisk pace and are looking ahead, about halfway across they look dead at me and then for the other half walk as slow as humanly possible for the rest of the way.

    I'd say this "I'm not going to hurry for a white man" attitude happens to me several times a week, upon speaking to friends about it they say it happens to them as we'll. I have never been rude or given or impatient with them.

    Its not just a perception thing because they actively slow their pace when they know you are waiting on them, like they derive some type of pleasure from this.

    Now I live in a predominately African American middle class neighborhood. None of them ever act like this and have been nothing but friendly neighbors. It is predominately the poor African Americans (at least from my experience) that behave in this manner.
    Assuming its true, why do you think that us?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #203
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    re: Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites [W:358]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    Just as they don't get to tell me that I as a white American am at fault for their plight, not I, nor my father, grand father, great grandfather, and so on all the way back to when my family immigrated here in 1683, not one of them owned a slave.

    Perfect example:
    I'm coming home the other day from hiking with my dog, and decide to swing by zaxbys and grab a salad. To get there I have to drive through the parking lot to get there. An African American couple is walking across the crosswalk at a fairly brisk pace and are looking ahead, about halfway across they look dead at me and then for the other half walk as slow as humanly possible for the rest of the way.

    I'd say this "I'm not going to hurry for a white man" attitude happens to me several times a week, upon speaking to friends about it they say it happens to them as we'll. I have never been rude or given or impatient with them.

    Its not just a perception thing because they actively slow their pace when they know you are waiting on them, like they derive some type of pleasure from this.

    Now I live in a predominately African American middle class neighborhood. None of them ever act like this and have been nothing but friendly neighbors. It is predominately the poor African Americans (at least from my experience) that behave in this manner.
    I see that all the time but when I was in college, lower middle class blacks-often recruited as athletes were almost always great people to be around. they were happy to be at a top college and had no sense of entitlements. It was the upper middle class affirmative action blacks who thought everyone owed them something.



  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites [W:358]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Books are better, but these will do:

    The Deferential Wife (described in Section 1) who lives in a world in which women are routinely denied educational opportunities and access tothe best jobs, and so become economically dependent on men, is more likely to desire to be servile to her husband and children. A female student who lives in a patriarchal culture that teaches women to look to men for protection, security, and strength rather than to cultivate these traits in themselves, is more likely to want to date males in power, such as her professor, because she sees them as exhibiting these traits.

    Feminist Moral Psychology (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

    The ridicule and devaluation of women’s intuition as unreliable, unscientific, and illogical is used to invalidate and detour perception away from the active oppression of women by a dominant patriarchal society. This propaganda can become so effective that some women come to believe that men have a special skill or ability that allows them to succeed in the world that these women themselves do not possess, while, paradoxically, they cater to the needs and foibles of men at home through this same invalidated intu- ition (Miller, 1986).

    http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dsamh/f...eption1192.pdf


    To aid in reducing the world into a more manageable environment, we deploy heuristics, which are the neat well-established categories that provide an abbreviated version of lengthier thinking processes. In clinical experiments, patients experiencing stress habitually increase their reliance on heuristics, stereotyping, and dualistic evaluative thinking (friend vs. foe, safe vs. dangerous dichotomies).

    (Snip)

    pervert one's sense of reality. Thus, the old adage, "Seeing is believing" is better rephrased as, "Believing is seeing," because perceptions are always subjected to our emotional filtering systems, which endow us with the basis for interpreting and often misinterpreting environmental and social events. Emotional filters are grounded in:
    What we have been taught explicitly or implicitly.
    Conditioned beliefs that become "hard-wired" in the brain by experiences and thoughts, forming semi-permanent neural circuits inside the brain.
    Expectations based on schemas and our awareness of "if-then" relationships.
    Evolutionary and genetic directions that assist us in identifying potential threats, which are often, unfortunately, defined as "those who look different from me and my group."
    Social Conditioning
    Contrary to other species in which instincts dictate habitat, food choices, mating preferences and practices, social stratifications, and clear identities for one's designated "enemies" — in human beings, thoughts, emotions, and behaviors are shaped by human-made meaning systems that must be taught, learned, and mastered. Classical conditioning is the form of learning that takes place when two stimuli are paired with one another. For example, when a lab rat sees a light go on, which is also followed by a mild electrical shock, the rat has "learned" via classical conditioning methods.

    In establishing human prejudices, similar pairings of conditions occur, which may be real, imagined, insinuated, implied, or deliberately taught. Social conditioning has merged with neurobiologically based survival instincts to produce the majority of our more complex contemporary prejudices. The social and cognitive developmental literature has shown that children demonstrate clear ethnic and racial awareness at around three or four years of age. Differences are never the problem to children. It is the teaching of prejudicial attributions and misattributions to differences that foster eventual conflicts.

    Neuropsychology and Prejudice
    I will look at these later, probably tomorrow. Thanks for providing them.

    Another point I would like to make though is, to take your example of racism in police departments, that would mean that there really is not as big a problem with crime as we would think, that the police would be spending their time "setting up" black people for crimes because they are racist and instead of actually going after the real criminals, they would just rather frame a black man or blame a black man, whichever you prefer, which would mean that this would take collaboration with others too, and even other black officers and detectives. Is this what you're claiming?

    That's certainly what it sounded like when you responded to my post about The First 48. It also sounds as if you are claiming that black police officers and detectives who would arrest and prosecute black people for crimes might be Uncle Toms?

  5. #205
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites [W:358]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Are there any improvements? Other people have come to this country, certainly not under the same conditions, I'll give you that, but they were not really much more than slaves, such as the Irish for example. They seemed to be able to integrate even though they were abused, murdered, beaten, etc. None of the people alive today now anyone who was a slave.
    One of the ways that Irish immigrants were able to assimilate so well into society was by joining up with white Americans in racism against black people. Moreover, Irish immigrants had the advantage of looking like the people who were considered "white" at the time that they were being discriminated against. There are a whole host of other issues that distinguish the assimilation of the Irish from black Americans into mainstream white society. There's actually a good book called "How the Irish Became White" that deal with a lot of this.

    Regardless, I understand that you're not just talking about the Irish specifically, but about other groups that have dealt with oppression and managed to assimilate better into mainstream society than black Americans. However, as I said to TurtleDude, such comparisons take away the agency of black Americans and minimize the differences between them and these other groups. The fact is that different groups deal with different circumstances and handle things differently.

    You are right. Many groups in this country have dealt with oppression, but I don't think it's a coincidence that two of the most currently disadvantaged of those groups are black Americans and Native Americans - the two groups who dealt with the longest lasting, most systemic, most alientating oppression in this country.

    Perhaps, it's all of this "you're a victim of whitey" talk that keeps them down. You bring someone down easily by first killing their self-esteem. Would you ever even CONSIDER that possibility though?
    Internalized racism - i.e. "I'm black and I'm inferior" type attitudes - are a much bigger problem among black Americans than "blame it on whitey" attitudes.

    There are certainly people who won't let the issue rest. I don't see how that helps anyone. There is no more slavery, segregation is illegal, we have hate crime laws and affirmative action, we have an elected black president along with many other black politicians. The stories that you keep trying to sell, I'm NOT buying. It's something other than "racism" that has a negative effect on the black community.
    Again, it's really none of your concern in black people "won't let the issue rest." That you think it's your place to tell black people what is and is not appropriate them to feel about racism - historic and current - is a problem. If you want to solve a problem with racial issues in this country, then stop doing what white people have always done to black people - telling them how to feel.

  6. #206
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites [W:358]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I will look at these later, probably tomorrow. Thanks for providing them.

    Another point I would like to make though is, to take your example of racism in police departments, that would mean that there really is not as big a problem with crime as we would think, that the police would be spending their time "setting up" black people for crimes because they are racist and instead of actually going after the real criminals, they would just rather frame a black man or blame a black man, whichever you prefer, which would mean that this would take collaboration with others too, and even other black officers and detectives. Is this what you're claiming?

    That's certainly what it sounded like when you responded to my post about The First 48. It also sounds as if you are claiming that black police officers and detectives who would arrest and prosecute black people for crimes might be Uncle Toms?
    I never claimed setting up. More creating a self fulfilling prophesy.

    I also never said Uncle Tom. Never. I said it was part if social conditioning.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #207
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites [W:358]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    Just as they don't get to tell me that I as a white American am at fault for their plight, not I, nor my father, grand father, great grandfather, and so on all the way back to when my family immigrated here in 1683, not one of them owned a slave.

    Perfect example:
    I'm coming home the other day from hiking with my dog, and decide to swing by zaxbys and grab a salad. To get there I have to drive through the parking lot to get there. An African American couple is walking across the crosswalk at a fairly brisk pace and are looking ahead, about halfway across they look dead at me and then for the other half walk as slow as humanly possible for the rest of the way.

    I'd say this "I'm not going to hurry for a white man" attitude happens to me several times a week, upon speaking to friends about it they say it happens to them as we'll. I have never been rude or given or impatient with them.

    Its not just a perception thing because they actively slow their pace when they know you are waiting on them, like they derive some type of pleasure from this.

    Now I live in a predominately African American middle class neighborhood. None of them ever act like this and have been nothing but friendly neighbors. It is predominately the poor African Americans (at least from my experience) that behave in this manner.
    This is just a deflection. "They do it too" is a meaningless response.

  8. #208
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    re: Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites [W:358]

    The biggest issue is that the pathologies in black culture hurt blacks the most. when 40% of all black males have felony records in some areas its a problem. A law professor at OSU wrote a book about how the drug laws and the criminal system is the new jim crow. I don't agree with all her premises but she has a point. Blacks can blame whites for 80% illegitimacy rates, drop out rates, criminal records, and all the other things that hold blacks back but in the long run it affects them not us.



  9. #209
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites [W:358]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    who appointed you spokewoman for the black race. I don't care how they feel. I am tired of them or their white handwringing patrons excusing social pathologies that are deleterious to society by whining about slavery or racism

    guess what-blacks are the people who sold blacks to white folks.
    This is what I'm talking about. I present an argument and you just deflect. The fact is that you again have just told black people how they should feel about racism and you don't want to own up to it. You have zero capacity to examine your own role in the problem. It's hilarious.

  10. #210
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    re: Rasmussen Poll Says Blacks Are More Racist Than Whites [W:358]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    This is just a deflection. "They do it too" is a meaningless response.
    that's just a failure to deal with his sound point because its uncomfortable to the politically correct who feel a need to excuse social pathologies in the black community



Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •