View Poll Results: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course! They need to have sex safely

    58 51.79%
  • No, it only encourages them

    28 25.00%
  • Other(Please elaborate)

    26 23.21%
Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 465

Thread: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Society should make people improve themselves by letting them suffer for their own poor decisions. Doing such either improves the individual, and thus society as a whole, or at least doesn't make others take any burden they don't deserve.

    This also goes back to people saying what haexperiments ppens in their bedroom is only their business, hence it is only their responsibility if they want/need condoms.
    That sounds all nice and libertarian on a shallow level, but when a teenager gets pregnant it affects the child, the grandparents and society, not just the teen parents. Pregnant teens have a hard time finishing high school and suffer economically for much of their lives.
    Kids ****, we have the means to make it safer, we should make it available, just like we make other safety devices available for other activities with risk.

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why is it the government job to give people what they need or want? I don't happen to find that welfare in this form or any other form is an improvement. In this example, all it appears to do is shift responsibility from the target, to the people around the target. I have no responsibility to make sure these children use condoms or have condoms in their possession. I have no reason to consider what they want or need something that I must concern myself with. If the kids need condoms they can either get down to the store and buy themselves some or get mommy and daddy to give them some. I have no reason to be involved in it.
    I suppose you are against public schools and "slow children" signs and public parks also.

  3. #173
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I suppose you are against public schools and "slow children" signs and public parks also.
    Just because a kid is slow doesn't mean you have to put up a sign. That's mean!
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Many kids fear, often legitimately, that if they go to the store they will be spotted by an adult who will rat them out. That is why they should be available to high school kids in school attached to a pamphlet on how to use them properly and and an explanation the risks of breakage and diseases that condom do not necessarily prevent.
    That is why we have more than one town.

  5. #175
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Know what else discourages teen pregnancies? Telling teenagers that if they get knocked up, the government won't support them and they're SOL.

    That also has the benefit of being cheaper to the taxpayers, and beneficial to society overall if we decide to employ Soylent Green.
    My mother discouraged it by saying that if we got a girl pregnant then we'd lose the college money she saved for us.

    Here's an idea. Similar to the leave bank at work, those who want the condoms for their kids without the responsibility of directly providing them can pool their money together and only their kids qualify to withdraw from the condom bank. Seems like a win/win to me.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

    No. But I would be in favor of temporary sterilization until age 21.

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    So - free condoms are supposed to take place of
    1) Informed decisions . . . free barriers doesn't make the decision any more informed.
    2) The fact that they truly are one of the least reliable forms of birth control . . . and the free ones are the worst offenders.
    3) That knowing how to use them and store them is highly important . . . lest you might as well not use them at all.
    4) Some guys are too macho? Address that however you address 'too macho' bull**** . . . and handing out something for free doesn't somehow change that.
    5) I certainly didn't use them - and it wouldn't have mattered if they were free or not or in a candy dish on my parent's coffee table.

    I have no problem advocating the right choice - and handing out free condoms doesn't improve on 'making choices' - it just 'makes it less of a thought'
    You must be a victim of one of those abstinence-only sex "education" classes.

    1.Using a condom is making an informed choice.
    2. Properly used, condoms are 98% effective and they are the only contraceptives that prevents disease transmission.
    3. That is why a fact-based comprehensive sex education is essential
    5. I was lucky enough to get a thorough sex ed and obtained condoms at the first indication I might get laid. It was awkward to buy them, I could handle it, but some kids won't. That is why I support making them readily available in schools.
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 07-01-13 at 09:23 PM.

  8. #178
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

    Should teenagers be given free condoms?-c-bf-jpg
    1234567890
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    ...Adding: I also think it's offensive and extremely UNTRUE that 'everyone's going to do it anyway' . . . that's bull.

    Perhaps that's the problem - we undermine the intelligence and decision making abilities of people too much in this area and just boil down the activity of sex as if it doesn't have a bigger purpose and don't expect people to exercise wise decision, care, thought, and maturity.
    I've never understood why we have no problem with kids doing risky things such as playing football, mountain climbing, surfing etc., but when it comes to sex, any risk becomes unacceptable. With the other activities we teach the kids how to do it safely and responsibly and provide them with access to safety equipment. The only reason we don't do that with sex is because of religion/superstition and the irrational shame and hypocrisy that it encourages. Nearly everyone will have sex, everyone needs to learn how to do it safely and responsibly. Safe sex is possible thanks to condoms etc., lets stop pretending that we still live in the time when there was no method for having safer sex.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Should teenagers be given free condoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Obviously the question only asks about free condoms but teen pregnancies, STD's, etc. were not significant problems when I was growing up and people were held more responsible for their actions. These programs make sex acceptable and encourage more of it.
    It is simply not true that teen sex, STDs and pregnancies did not happen in the past. They were just considered shameful secrets that was hidden as well as possible. Remember that girl in high school who went to visit her aunt for six months?

    Also, sex is acceptable to most people, it just needs to be done safely and responsibly.

Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •