View Poll Results: Is Snowden a patriot?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutley! The people have the right to know!

    53 63.86%
  • No

    20 24.10%
  • NO WAY!

    10 12.05%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 117

Thread: Is Snowden a patriot?

  1. #61
    Professor
    sKiTzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    OC California
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,213

    Re: Is Snowden a patriot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The operations Snowden exposed were legally undertaken by our elected government. They were constitutionally overseen by our elected representatives in Congress. If our government were not doing what Snowden claims then they would be derelict in their duty.
    "Legally undertaken", well then maybe that is the problem. The american people never intended for this to ever be legal. The constitution is a framework to prevent dictatorships and rogue government. It was not intended that it ever be compromised. But now we have laws being changed while everybody slept at night, and executive orders that are slowly transforming america into a police state.
    The biggest problem is that while most americans certainly don't want a police state gestapo society, they are complacent because they don't believe it is really happening because the NWO/american government has been careful to create media diversions as the slow and gradual changes are made. They are pleased that they can create these false flag operations and botch them up so badly, but somehow still pull it off. Most americans buy it all hook line and sinker every time. They don't question anything. The only ones who see through it all are the ones who use street smarts as a filter for any information that pertains to government.

    If these NSA activities were within legal scope, as you say, then Snowden is trying to wake US citizens up out of the lull they are in. Hey america, look what is legal - look what your complacency has allowed!

    They do not need to have a police state in order to not be derelict. We have a ready and able and powerful military. If what they were doing was so effective and anything more than what it is, they would be able to stop things like the boson bombing. If they focus their attention away from their war with it's own citizens, that is.

  2. #62
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Is Snowden a patriot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    You're right, that is the problem with most people. However, I teach classified applied math to our military and know how infosec works.

    When you take a position requiring trust and break that trust, the consequences should be proportional to the degree of trust that was given. For example, cops breaking the law should receive harsher sentences than civilians. Moreover, an intentional breach is the worst kind. This wasn't like a slip of the tongue. In particular, releasing secrets for enemies is about as unpatriotic as it gets. Lastly, I find life sentences to prison pointless, so just kill him and get it over with.
    yes and the American CITIZEN trusted the NSA and Gov. Guess what they got.?????

    spying and FREE TRADE..................
    Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why,
    Ian Fletcher

    https://www.numbersusa.org/

  3. #63
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Is Snowden a patriot?

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    yes and the American CITIZEN trusted the NSA and Gov. Guess what they got.?????

    spying and FREE TRADE..................
    Again, apply some ****ing common sense. What do you think the simple metadata was being used for?
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  4. #64
    Advisor polisciguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    10-30-17 @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: Is Snowden a patriot?

    I said no because calling him a patriot or otherwise seems, at least to me, a bit arbitrary. Snowden chose to release information that showed that the government was directly violating the 4th Amendment rights of American citizens. In my view, I see this as a good thing because it alerts many to government power abuse. Likewise, given that I subscribe to the idea that fear is not a legitimate reason to have our liberties curbed, let alone our right to privacy, Snowden confirmed, for me and others that subscribe to the same point of view, that the government is doing just that.

    Likewise, the leaking of every action of the government is, in my view, not something I would desire to see happen. Only in cases where the rights and privacy of the citizens are being violated or unwarranted abuses of power/atrocities would I wish to see such information revealed. I briefly worked for Homeland Security analyzing data and was sworn to secrecy about a variety of things. Some of which I would reasonably not want the public to know. Had I encountered information that revealed direct violation of our rights, perhaps I would have done the same.

    To summarize, I don't think Snowden did a horrible thing. Likewise, I don't think he revealed anything that most of us didn't already suspect. However, I acknowledge the risk that intelligence leaks pose to our security. But one of this nature, in my opinion, needed to be revealed.

  5. #65
    economically ☭ socially ☭

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Is Snowden a patriot?

    No and also who cares

  6. #66
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,156

    Re: Is Snowden a patriot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Again, apply some ****ing common sense. What do you think the simple metadata was being used for?
    appears you are standing on 'the ends justify the means' argument

    could we not do that with each of our liberties, to justify ending them?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #67
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Is Snowden a patriot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Again, apply some ****ing common sense. What do you think the simple metadata was being used for?
    Does not matter. They should not have it at all.

    See even when they spy and have all the phone calls, Like YEARS before 9/11, they still do nothing but give some FBI agent first names 2 months before the planned attack.

    So they must be useing it for something else......ummmm.......what can that be????
    Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why,
    Ian Fletcher

    https://www.numbersusa.org/

  8. #68
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,920
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Snowden a patriot?

    Snowden is dirt.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #69
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Is Snowden a patriot?

    If we want a transparent government we need whistleblowers like Snowden. I certainly don't blame him for not turning himself in considering what happened to Bradley Manning who was kept in isolation and tortured.

  10. #70
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Is Snowden a patriot?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Liberty View Post
    Is Snowden a patriot for leaking that the NSA was tapping thousands of phone calls without warrants?
    No, he's just another idiot who's going to get himself killed over nothing. Being a "patriot" implies actually doing something for your country. Allegedly leaking something that the American populace is apparently too stupid to piece together on their own accomplishes nothing.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •