View Poll Results: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 41.33%
  • No

    41 54.67%
  • Not sure

    3 4.00%
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 186

Thread: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

    Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    I cannot understand why people would want to give up the power to directly elect senators?

  3. #3
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    I voted NO.

    Popular election should be the default position.

    Something else to consider is this: Republicans have gamed tiny state-wide
    majorities or even minorities into unfairly disproportional electoral district
    advantage in a majority of today's states. Subsequently the US Senate would
    be majority Republican for the foreseeable future regardless of the wishes
    of the electorate.

    No doubt this board's sizable right wing contingent could get really creamy
    and cummy over the thought of that, so expect a lot of anti-popular selection
    votes to show up here.

    Fortunately, the Republicans need 75% of the states to go along with any of
    their constitutional amendment ****, and even gamesters of their ability ain't
    gonna make that happen via that route.

  4. #4
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    YES!.... we as a nation need to return to a mixed constitution of the founders, and a separation of power, between the people and the states, we need to move away from the evils of democracy of the last 100 years, and return to true republican government.

    democracy is a very factious/special interest oriented and evil form of government which is why the founders hated it and created republican government which divides power and does not let everyone or group become to powerful.

    federalist 47--The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, self appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny


    e·lec·tive
    [ih-lek-tiv] Show IPA
    adjective
    1.
    pertaining to the principle of electing to an office, position, etc.
    2.
    chosen by election, as an official.
    3.
    bestowed by or derived from election, as an office.
    4.
    having the power or right of electing to office, as a body of persons.

  5. #5
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    No. There is no good reason to do so, and it would only further isolates people from having power.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #6
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I cannot understand why people would want to give up the power to directly elect senators?
    The original purpose of senators was to represent the STATE not the people. You already have a representative, why do you need another 2 where your power to remove or elect them is much further diluted hence they are not nearly accountable. Were as when the state elected them they were accountable to the legislative body of that state, and therefor even MORE accountable. The states no longer are represented directly as an entity as they were before. States have interests that differ from that of the populous at large hence why they need to be represented directly, as originally intended.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    YES!.... we as a nation need to return to a mixed constitution of the founders, and a separation of power, between the people and the states, we need to move away from the evils of democracy of the last 100 years, and return to true republican government.

    democracy is a very factious/special interest oriented and evil form of government which is why the founders hated it and created republican government which divides power and does not let everyone or group become to powerful.

    federalist 47--The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, self appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny


    e·lec·tive
    [ih-lek-tiv] Show IPA
    adjective
    1.
    pertaining to the principle of electing to an office, position, etc.
    2.
    chosen by election, as an official.
    3.
    bestowed by or derived from election, as an office.
    4.
    having the power or right of electing to office, as a body of persons.
    Could the reason that the founders hated democracy was because it meant sharing power with the common people? It kind of gives the impression that the founding fathers were elitists.

  8. #8
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No. There is no good reason to do so, and it would only further isolates people from having power.

    it stops the federal government to exceeding it powers under the constitution, and and taking away state powers.

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    it stops the federal government to exceeding it powers under the constitution, and and taking away state powers.
    It does nothing to the federal government, and takes away the power of the people who live in the states, ie the ones the state governments are supposed to serve.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    The original purpose of senators was to represent the STATE not the people. You already have a representative, why do you need another 2 where your power to remove or elect them is much further diluted hence they are not nearly accountable. Were as when the state elected them they were accountable to the legislative body of that state, and therefor even MORE accountable. The states no longer are represented directly as an entity as they were before. States have interests that differ from that of the populous at large hence why they need to be represented directly, as originally intended.
    Yeah I think the states lost the right to elect senators when it hand picked cronys that would cater to the state party bosses. Tammany hall is a good example.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •