View Poll Results: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 41.33%
  • No

    41 54.67%
  • Not sure

    3 4.00%
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 186

Thread: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

  1. #51
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    I'd have to think a little more on this. On one hand i feel in a representative government the people should have a direct link to whom they have represent them in both Houses of Congress. On the other hand, it makes little sense to have Federal representatives voting one way on an issue when their State, the people they are there to represent and the representatives in their respective State legislatures vote the opposite.

    Too much party partisan, line up and play ball goes on at the Federal level which makes each State's senator that gets elected to Federal office incapable of doing their jobs. That being representing the people in their State.

    Does this constitute a grave enough concern to take direct elections away from the people? If the people aren't being represented as they ought, it doesn't matter whom they vote for because whomever it is will and does do whatever he or she pleases.

    So, hmmm....anyone have a good enough reason to keep the direct election of Senators? Other than they assume they're losing control over their choice in elected official? (Who does as he pleases despite what his or her constituents want..)

    as it is I'm leaning yes, but I will wait to see if anyone comes up with a convincing argument to vote the contrary...

  2. #52
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No. There is no good reason to do so, and it would only further isolates people from having power.
    There is plenty of good reason when exercised correctly. Instead of just having the People check the government, it allows both the People and the States to check the government. The People already have the House.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #53
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    I trust the founding fathers. It worked for a long time before it got changed, maybe it's tome to change back.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I trust the founding fathers. It worked for a long time before it got changed, maybe it's tome to change back.
    It actually broke down, which is why it was changed. If you want to go back, you'll have to put some more stringent requirements on the States to seat Senators in a timely manner.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #55
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    More than likely I know them better than you. Do not try and educate those who know more.
    Oh, I get it. This was a joke post.



    Well played.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #56
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'd like it to be. But you have to put in certain oversight. The reason it was taken away was that partisan disputes in State government often led to a State not seating a senator for years. That couldn't be allowed.
    Agreed. That would need to be addressed.

    (I'd like to see timely appointments/confirmations of judges, as well.)


    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    I'd have to think a little more on this. On one hand i feel in a representative government the people should have a direct link to whom they have represent them in both Houses of Congress. On the other hand, it makes little sense to have Federal representatives voting one way on an issue when their State, the people they are there to represent and the representatives in their respective State legislatures vote the opposite.

    Too much party partisan, line up and play ball goes on at the Federal level which makes each State's senator that gets elected to Federal office incapable of doing their jobs. That being representing the people in their State.

    Does this constitute a grave enough concern to take direct elections away from the people? If the people aren't being represented as they ought, it doesn't matter whom they vote for because whomever it is will and does do whatever he or she pleases.

    So, hmmm....anyone have a good enough reason to keep the direct election of Senators? Other than they assume they're losing control over their choice in elected official? (Who does as he pleases despite what his or her constituents want..)

    as it is I'm leaning yes, but I will wait to see if anyone comes up with a convincing argument to vote the contrary...
    Good post. Well thought out.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    (I'd like to see timely appointments/confirmations of judges, as well.)
    I'd like to see a super majority popular vote being used to remove SCOTUS judges. Have to be a very high percentage, but if they piss off all of America, we should be able to get rid of them.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #58
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,706

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No. There is no good reason to do so, and it would only further isolates people from having power.
    Which people? If a state has a few large cities that, when combined, make up a majority of their populaiton then the rest of the state has no say at all in the U.S. Senate. Even though most states are red the Democrats have a U.S. Senate majority. I can see why a very liberal person sees no problem with that.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #59
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'd like to see a super majority popular vote being used to remove SCOTUS judges. Have to be a very high percentage, but if they piss off all of America, we should be able to get rid of them.
    Good question, so I started a new thread for it.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...ices-life.html
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #60
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,363
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Which people? If a state has a few large cities that, when combined, make up a majority of their populaiton then the rest of the state has no say at all in the U.S. Senate. Even though most states are red the Democrats have a U.S. Senate majority. I can see why a very liberal person sees no problem with that.
    So you value geography over people? Interesting perspective.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •