View Poll Results: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 41.33%
  • No

    41 54.67%
  • Not sure

    3 4.00%
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 186

Thread: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

  1. #41
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    they are not against people holding power, people hold power in the house.

    and people hold power over the legislature who appoint senators, this gives people direct and indirect power.

    again if you give people all direct power they will become tyrannical....history proves that.
    Yet somehow maddisons ideal government became corrupted by the influence of big business.

    How could people call themselves represented by a state that was literally bought by the railroads and oil monopolys.

  2. #42
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Yet somehow maddisons ideal government became corrupted by the influence of big business.

    How could people call themselves represented by a state that was literally bought by the railroads and oil monopolys.
    It's much easier to control those abuses on a State level rather than a federal one...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #43
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Funny how the founding fathers hate the notion of the people holding power.
    If that were the case, they wouldn't have set up the House to be popularly elected. They were in a position to set up pretty much whatever they wanted, and they chose a balance of power.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #44
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you really need to read the founding documents and the federalist papers...
    More than likely I know them better than you. Do not try and educate those who know more.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    It's much easier to control those abuses on a State level rather than a federal one...
    There once was a time that the Colorado fuel and iron corperation ( a branch of standard oil) had complete influence over state polotics that they could call in state troopers as their personal foot soliders in order to put down strikes like this one in ludlow

    Ludlow Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  6. #46
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    There once was a time that the Colorado fuel and iron corperation ( a branch of standard oil) had complete influence over state polotics that they could call in state troopers as their personal foot soliders in order to put down strikes like this one in ludlow

    Ludlow Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes, and Alabama could abuse its powers as well, but you're not making a case for central power. In fact, you're arguing against it...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #47
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Yet somehow maddisons ideal government became corrupted by the influence of big business.

    How could people call themselves represented by a state that was literally bought by the railroads and oil monopolys.

    and government is doing some of those actions violated rights of the people.

    from 1787 to the begging of the 20th century america grew expanded, and became wealthy, since the 20th century america has gone into decline, and government has expanded, and become so corrupt it does not listen to the people and takes powers from the states.

    i could talk and talk about this all, day, becuase it is something i have focused my attention on when i started reading the founders, want they created, republican government and why.

    people by nature are factious and self serving, and always will be Madison also says this, america will fall becuase people are deluded into thinking democracy is good.

    even our own government stated in 1928 through army training manuals America is not a democracy, and we are not to be a nation of military conquest or nation meddling.

    we came far in such a short time, now we are losing what we have becuase of corruption, and people complain, about it....................but say give me more democracy.

    i cant convey what the founders say to have the meaning they did, i always ask that people read the constitution the Federalist papers, and letters, to get what out founders created, and dont listen to judges, news, politicians who fool the people with untruths.

  8. #48
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    More than likely I know them better than you. Do not try and educate those who know more.

    well you have no show it by what you have said.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states?
    I'd like it to be. But you have to put in certain oversight. The reason it was taken away was that partisan disputes in State government often led to a State not seating a senator for years. That couldn't be allowed.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #50
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I cannot understand why people would want to give up the power to directly elect senators?
    Because we have the House and the Senate is supposed to be for the States. Otherwise, you just have 2 popular houses and there's no reason to have 2 separate ones. It was part of a check and balance on government.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •