View Poll Results: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 41.33%
  • No

    41 54.67%
  • Not sure

    3 4.00%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 186

Thread: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

  1. #161
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    personally i am againist repealing the 17th ammendment now because of the current state legislatures, it give republicans a unfair advantage in electing senators because they virtually own several states legislatures and would eliminate any competitive senate seats and give republicans a possible permanent majority in both the house and senate.
    well think about it in this way, why are those legislatures republican?....is that what the people of the state wanted?, were they using the legal voting process in having a republican legislature?

    to try to prevent republicans from gaining power, becuase you dont like what their polices are even though they got into power becuase they people voted by them, rings of not wanting to allow the voting public the party they want.

    i dont want you to think i am republican, becuase i am just as upset with them as democrats.

    but here is something for you to think on, ........and that is when power is divided, the house's interest, is not the same as the interest of the senate..., and becuase of that, both houses of congress have to come together to pass legislation which is in the interest of the (people and the states together), which makes it in the interest of the union itself.

    this also stops laws which are for special interest, laws which are big a massive and not read from passing congress because one party is in power...........becuase as i stated, both interest must be represented the (states and the people) to pass a bill.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Do the founders support one party rule, because i don't
    well in democracies, one party rule means tyranny, becuase power is concentrated in one entity who have all the same interest....but in republican government again the power is divided between two, so its harder to be tyrannical, becuase of opposing.... interest of those two.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,730

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    You gotta love libertarians. They hate every single amendment except the 2nd and the 10th.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  3. #163
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You gotta love libertarians. They hate every single amendment except the 2nd and the 10th.
    wrong, we believe in following the constitution, i know the 17th is an amendment, but that's not we are discussing, we are discussing its repeal and why its a......... good, or bad idea.

    please weight in on either side.

  4. #164
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,730

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    wrong, we believe in following the constitution, i know the 17th is an amendment, but that's not we are discussing, we are discussing its repeal and why its a......... good, or bad idea.

    please weight in on either side.
    Please explain to me how wanting to repeal the 17th Amendment does not equate to strongly disliking it.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  5. #165
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Please explain to me how wanting to repeal the 17th Amendment does not equate to strongly disliking it.
    i dont like the 17th amendment i admit it ,what does that have to do with your first comment?

    if it were repealed, it would be following the constitutional process.

    what is you argument for keeping it and why?..becuase you have not elaborated on it.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,237

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    and you think taking power out of the hands of the many and giving it to a few select individuals is going to somehow undo the damage. the corruption is so ingrained into the system now that it cannot be removed except by using extreme measures.

    now if there was a way a bring about true campaign finance reform, like make all elections be publicly funded with minimal corporate contributions, then that would be a interesting tradeoff
    The "many" already have representatives. The senate was originally appointed by the states legislators, rather than the people. It is because the people, who are swayed by the media in their votes, have effectively elected the same mindset into the senate as the house. this has effectively destroyed the 10th amendment, as the states can no longer speak up for their rights in the bill making process.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,237

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    personally i am againist repealing the 17th ammendment now because of the current state legislatures, it give republicans a unfair advantage in electing senators because they virtually own several states legislatures and would eliminate any competitive senate seats and give republicans a possible permanent majority in both the house and senate.

    Do the founders support one party rule, because i don't
    So...

    Am I understanding you correctly...

    You prefer a improper system because of short term concerns, rather what is best for our children's future?

    Isn't that selfish?

  8. #168
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,237

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You gotta love libertarians. They hate every single amendment except the 2nd and the 10th.
    Not true, at least in my case.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,237

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Please explain to me how wanting to repeal the 17th Amendment does not equate to strongly disliking it.
    I do strongly dislike it. That doesn't mean I dislike other amendments.

  10. #170
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    We have a uniform DUI limit of .08 because Congress threatened to take away state highway funding if any state didn't do Congress' bidding. States love their highway money. They had to do this, because it has been established that Congress cannot simply mandate individual state limits on its own. Hence, the backdoor approach...

    Question: In your opinion, would Congress have made the same move if the Senate represented the states and not the people?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •