View Poll Results: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 41.33%
  • No

    41 54.67%
  • Not sure

    3 4.00%
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 186

Thread: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

  1. #151
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    under republican government the 50 states have powers, and people have powers.

    this divides power between the two, so neither of them can abuse the power they hold.
    Gerrymandering is an abuse of power that takes the power of the vote away from the people. How can we deal with that?

  2. #152
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Gerrymandering is an abuse of power that takes the power of the vote away from the people. How can we deal with that?
    Take it away from state legislatures. Probably wouldn't solve it completely, but it would help.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #153
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Gerrymandering is an abuse of power that takes the power of the vote away from the people. How can we deal with that?
    its not by normal statue law....laws can always be used by the powers that be in their favor, when they are in power, the only way to stop actions by those with power is amendments to constitutions.

    now they may violate those amendments (break law) but they cant write them in there favor any more.

    state constitutional amendments have a very easy things in the last several elections i vote in, with many of them on the ballot.
    Last edited by Master PO; 07-01-13 at 02:37 PM.

  4. #154
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Taking away the appointment of senators from the states, has now put the states in the position of all these unfunded mandates.
    your 100% correct, because before the 17th the state had their powers as did the federal government.

    but since the states have no voice in the senate any longer, the federal government has moved into state powers, and expanded the federal government, and cost the american tax payer more money to run that expanded government, which our founders sought to keep limited.
    Last edited by Master PO; 07-01-13 at 02:45 PM.

  5. #155
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    me either ,your grammar is so bad
    that maybe becuase i was educated in america before the dept. of education took over the schools, and we learned things in schools, and were not just pushed through the system.

    so my speaking is not based on modern gibberish.
    Last edited by Master PO; 07-01-13 at 03:04 PM.

  6. #156
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    your 100% correct, because before the 17th the state had their powers as did the federal government.

    but since the states have no voice in the senate any longer, the federal government has moved into state powers, and expanded the federal government, and cost the american tax payer more money to run that expanded government, which our founders sought to keep limited.
    are you suprised that it happened? nothing can remain the same forever.

  7. #157
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    are you suprised that it happened? nothing can remain the same forever.

    surprised?....i cant say that, becuase it was before my time.

    however by going what they have done, they have removed checks and balances which were placed in our constitution, to limit the power hungry.

    with that removal, you have seen the explosion of faction/special interest in our government, from internal and external forces, meaning foreign governments buying our government, and costing the tax payer, making us weak economically, and the government violating the rights of the people, when special interest influences our government.

  8. #158
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    surprised?....i cant say that, becuase it was before my time.

    however by going what they have done, they have removed checks and balances which were placed in our constitution, to limit the power hungry.

    with that removal, you have seen the explosion of faction/special interest in our government, from internal and external forces, meaning foreign governments buying our government, and costing the tax payer, making us weak economically, and the government violating the rights of the people, when special interest influences our government.
    and you think taking power out of the hands of the many and giving it to a few select individuals is going to somehow undo the damage. the corruption is so ingrained into the system now that it cannot be removed except by using extreme measures.

    now if there was a way a bring about true campaign finance reform, like make all elections be publicly funded with minimal corporate contributions, then that would be a interesting tradeoff

  9. #159
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    and you think taking power out of the hands of the many and giving it to a few select individuals is going to somehow undo the damage. the corruption is so ingrained into the system now that it cannot be removed except by using extreme measures.

    yes i do, and again i will explain, by returning power to the state legislature, it again divides power, becuase power is divided between the people and the states, the federal government is prevented from expanding there powers unless the state legislators approve of it, this keeps government limited.

    government an no longer mandate states do things the government wants done, by denying a state federal funds if they refuse. any of the laws, which have been past in the last 100 years, were the government has confiscated states power would not have happened.

    the founders wanted a balance of power between two, which is what republican government does, democratic government concentrates power into one, and when that one has the power, they misuse it and violate law, and rights of the people, ..becuase they have all the power , they rule!



    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    now if there was a way a bring about true campaign finance reform, like make all elections be publicly funded with minimal corporate contributions, then that would be a interesting tradeoff
    well myself i am for getting rid of u.s. code 29 152 making corporations, union, organizations.... people, .......and returning to (a citizen) can only petition government, and contribute .

  10. #160
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    yes i do, and again i will explain, by returning power to the state legislature, it again divides power, becuase power is divided between the people and the states, the federal government is prevented from expanding there powers unless the state legislators approve of it, this keeps government limited.

    government an no longer mandate states do things the government wants done, by denying a state federal funds if they refuse. any of the laws, which have been past in the last 100 years, were the government has confiscated states power would not have happened.

    the founders wanted a balance of power between two, which is what republican government does, democratic government concentrates power into one, and when that one has the power, they misuse it and violate law, and rights of the people, ..becuase they have all the power , they rule!





    well myself i am for getting rid of u.s. code 29 152 making corporations, union, organizations.... people, .......and returning to (a citizen) can only petition government, and contribute .
    personally i am againist repealing the 17th ammendment now because of the current state legislatures, it give republicans a unfair advantage in electing senators because they virtually own several states legislatures and would eliminate any competitive senate seats and give republicans a possible permanent majority in both the house and senate.

    Do the founders support one party rule, because i don't

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •