View Poll Results: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 41.33%
  • No

    41 54.67%
  • Not sure

    3 4.00%
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 186

Thread: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the states

  1. #101
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am not sure why this is hard for you but: the founders are dead. What they wanted is mostly irrelevant. We have to think for ourselves and figure these things out. I think the founders would be appalled at the thought that we had to blindly do what people long dead and not actually privy to the situation said. The founders did not blindly accept much, why do you?

    why is it hard for you, we are discussing why the 17th should be repealed, and i stated my case.

    becuase it moves us away from democracy which is a evil form of government, and back to republican government, of divide power, and a government which has little faction / special interest, and a voice for states in our government again.

  2. #102
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    A 2010 aberration in mid-term voting leads to at least a 2-year aberration in 2012 state legislatures that are now deeply ingrained on the Federal and State level with gerry-mandering. You've seen that the current count in the Senate would be 51--49 Repubs if you go back to 2008 and the last three votes of the states legislatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    no i dont believe the issue is in court.....

    state legislators are elected by the people, therefore if a democrat or repub house is elected, the people must want that party in power of that state..(my personal view is,we should not have parties as g. Washington stated)

    state legislature appoints the senator, which means they have to vote, who ever get the most is appointed, are you against that?

    since also when the senator is appointed, they direct his vote, and can remove him from office and replace him.

    there direction of his vote serves to protect the states from the inherent powers of the federal government to increase its those powers more.

    the federal government was given 18 duties with states the rest, anytime the feds create a new power for themselves, they are taking away power from the states. ..this one of the reason states had representation in out government thru the senate to prevent this

  3. #103
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    A 2010 aberration in mid-term voting leads to at least a 2-year aberration in 2012 state legislatures that are now deeply ingrained on the Federal and State level with gerry-mandering. You've seen that the current count in the Senate would be 51--49 Repubs if you go back to 2008 and the last three votes of the states legislatures.
    as i stated before, if this is such a hot issue, then why do not the state create a constitutional amendment to prevent what the problems you are explaining to me........it must not be a hot button issue of the state then.

    but it does noting to the 17th..the 17th is about state voice in government, and protecting themselves from federal overreach of powers.

  4. #104
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    For the same reason that those who would vote for Proposition 8 in California will not vote for a Republican senator right now. Heavy lobbying from out-of-state, in this case the Mormon church. Btw, I like their commission style of drawing CD lines. Everyone was angry at first. I do not believe we should have 50 different ways to do a remap, thus 50 ways to elect a Senator if the 17th was repealed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    as i stated before, if this is such a hot issue, then why do not the state create a constitutional amendment to prevent what the problems you are explaining to me........it must not be a hot button issue of the state then.

    but it does noting to the 17th..the 17th is about state voice in government, and protecting themselves from federal overreach of powers.

  5. #105
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,205

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Do you really want our Senate? We are paying them a lot of money and they don't even show up for work and they scam us for money. If they are not elected there is nothing to keep them accountable.

  6. #106
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    why is it hard for you, we are discussing why the 17th should be repealed, and i stated my case.

    becuase it moves us away from democracy which is a evil form of government, and back to republican government, of divide power, and a government which has little faction / special interest, and a voice for states in our government again.
    States do have a voice in our government. That is what the senate does. That senators are picked by the people directly instead of by the people the people elect at the state does not change the purpose and function of those senators, and as such, your argument falls apart.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #107
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    The 16th, 17th, and 18th were all tremendous mistakes, and we're only 1 for 3 on the repeal.

    It was a incomprehensibly stupid, needless change.

  8. #108
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    States do have a voice in our government. That is what the senate does. That senators are picked by the people directly instead of by the people the people elect at the state does not change the purpose and function of those senators, and as such, your argument falls apart.
    wrong, the senators in the senate do not care a lick about the state or its interal problems........... they only pander to the people, the ones that elect them.

    that is why the senate no longer has a voice, .


    to give you an example

    under obamacare it was passed by the senate, ...however if the 17 th amendment to our Constitution was not there it would never have passed ...why?

    becuase 26 states sued over it...26 x 2 is 52 senators who would have voted against it...becuase there state legislators who have directed them too!

  9. #109
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    wrong, the senators in the senate do not care a lick about the state or its interal problems........... they only pander to the people, the ones that elect them.

    that is why the senate no longer has a voice, .


    to give you an example

    under obamacare it was passed by the senate, ...however if the 17 th amendment to our Constitution was not there it would never have passed ...why?

    becuase 26 states sued over it...26 x 2 is 52 senators who would have voted against it...becuase there state legislators who have directed them too!
    Wait, what? Serving their state is pandering now? Do youy realize how stupid that sounds?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #110
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should the choosing of Senators be taken from the people and given back to the st

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Wait, what? Serving their state is pandering now? Do youy realize how stupid that sounds?
    senators do not go back to the state and look at the concerns of the legislature, , they go back and talk to the voters who voted for them in ...........town hall meetings.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •