View Poll Results: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 24.32%
  • No

    28 75.68%
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 183

Thread: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

  1. #151
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

    I wouldn't think that the fact of a degree in itself would have nearly the effect with regards to marriage as some of the things that are taught in higher education.

    Some women seem to lose respect for their fathers in college, actually lose respect and develop anger and ridicule for men in general, some become firm believers that they are in fact victims of oppression by men and they put home and family in the oppression category, some have "causes" that they demand male companions support. Some find that the care and maintenance of their circle of girlfriends becomes their most important life pursuit. In the last election, it was found that the one white demographic that remained solidly in support of Barack Obama were college educated white women, but NOT white men.

    The above is only a partial listing, but these sorts of things tend to drive men away, anti-male attitudes and unsympathetic, cold behavior count for much more than degrees although both the degree and the attitude seem to arrive at the same time.
    Last edited by Ray410; 06-29-13 at 08:20 PM.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    You're comparing polls that PREDICT an event to polls that REPORT a reality. That's a false comparison. Your question has been answered. Deal with it.


    Na. If anything this poll demonstrates just how true this phenomena actually is.


    If we removed (or had a way) to prevent all the forums women, homosexuals, disenfranchised angry leftists that will obscure any poll, and other malcontents, and only had straight men voting, which are the only ones that truly need be polled on this for accuracy, then I believe that it would be different. That said, I think the fact that the idea and problem exists to such an extent in the real world that it is discussed at all levels of Western society AND even among other, non Western societies, indicates just how real it is.


    For if it was not a phenomena, this thread could not exist. The vitriolic denial attempts and social leftist rants of conspiratorial gibberish could not occur. If something has to be constantly defended against and or denied by its own subjects, it's pretty obvious to all that it is a real phenomena for otherwise the 8 votes could not exist. The thread could not exist. The very discussion should not exist.

    But.


    It does.




    That in and of itself is extremely problematic for those who claim this is not a legitimate phenomena.

  3. #153
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I wouldn't deny that is likely true. But that fact doesn't negate at all the equally true fact that yes, when a 50k a year female paralegal marries a 100k a year male banker and then quits her 50k job to raise kids, forever leaving the workforce, while that scenario does lead to a stable marriage, that scenario is also the grand exception for degreed women
    On the contrary, degreed women tend to marry degreed men, who have higher earning potential. That, for example, is why among degreed women, those who attended prestigious universities are actually more likely to quit to become stay-at-home moms than those who did not.

    Nobody is denying it's a great story. It is. What I am saying it is not possible for most degreed women. There are only so many degreed men earning more than degreed women and those small numbers in the future based on graduating rates will be even smaller, meaning that nice story will become rarer and rarer. The future is one of depressed female incomes, less high earning men, and less marriages. Companies will simply pay these women less, they will not meet the past mens high incomes to the future womens. We are already seeing this. The global market does not pay a woman as much as a man. So in the end, feminist based societies will simply decline to the face of still patriarchal societies.

    That said. The entire point is, the vast majority of degreed women will NEVER find Mr. 75-100k because they were NEVER going to. He didn't, doesn't exist on enough of a numerical level to be found. So what will, are degreed women making 50-70k a year doing? They're waiting for a 75-100k man that doesn't exist to pop up. Well. That's going to be a long wait, primarily because he isn't coming and wasn't. Equally important to this phenomena is the fact that these women cannot marry down.
    Actually when it comes to education they can and do. Whereas (as of 2011) 78% of degreed men married degreed women, only 65% of degreed women married degreed men.



    You are speaking to a trend that is nowhere near absolute.

    Consider. A degreed woman making 50-75k cannot feasibly marry and culturally integrate with a man making 40-60k for life. It isn't going to happen. The class structures are too different. Her whole life has been geared towards someone of even a higher class than her own. Not merely that, but no lower class, lower income man would actually marry her. Men marry down in class and income, not up.
    You are creating a false direct correlation with education and income that does not necessarily exist. For example, (above link) of the 35% of degreed women who married non-degreed men, 46% still married men with incomes higher than their own. Meaning that 84% of degreed women are still marrying either their fellow degree-holders, or higher earners.

    The men that she was demographically meant for will now not marry her, nor are they even willing to consider her for the above reasons, hence she has no options. Her own naturally available men will not marry her and the ultra high income sets of men she was geared for in life don't exist numerically speaking. The result we are seeing in the West is obvious and clear. These women have nowhere to go other than to keep on working. The irony of which makes them even less and less marriageable.
    as women graduates continue to outnumber males, it is possible what you say may come to pass. I tend to doubt it for the simple enough reason that many degreed women are in fact after their M.R.S., and that many others, having gotten the degrees, then choose to put their careers on hold in order to raise children.

    But the fact does remain that women who graduate college get and stay married more often than women who only graduate high school.

    They are more likely to get married in the first place:



    and they are more than twice as likely to stay married once they are married:


  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Well, why don't we look at statistics?

    According to Pew Research, 69% of women with a college degree are married compared to 56% of women without a college degree. This means that women with degrees are more likely to be married than women without them.

    Answer: no.
    Great! Now lets shift the subject to talk about why women who have extramarital kids are less likely to finish a college degree or get married.

  5. #155
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

    Dear sweet lord. Some of the posts in this thread sound like they were made by these guys:


  6. #156
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I question the bias of those studies. Since half of all marriages end in divorce, and 95% of all women benefit financially from divorce, it stands to reason that marriage would have positive aspects on women and negative aspects on men.

    I know I get giddy at the idea that a woman can take half my crap away for little to no reason.
    I guess you would have to look at the studies and what they are measuring. The ones I have seen are, as I said, from the nineties - and a lot of things have changed in the last 15 - 20 years. I understand there was international research looking at this - but if you consider that globally, women have a one in three chance of being in a relationship with an abusive partner, then high levels of depression and anxiety may well be quite common.

    often mental health issues are associated with a sense of powerlessness and not having control over your own life.

    Re women taking half of what you've got - I guess it also depends what laws you have. My daughter owned her house outright when she met her partner, but if they split up, he would legally be entitled to make a claim against her assets - here the law doesn't differentiate on the basis of sex, and as far as I know has not done for some time. I have known a few women who have lost assets because they dismissed the idea that an ex husband/boyfriend could legally be entitled to something they believed was theirs alone.

    Still, they are better off than what they would have been prior to some 19th century legislation (such as the married women's property act - or whatever your country/state's equivalent is) when on marriage, a woman's property/inheritance would pass into the control of her husband, to do with whatever he wished.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  7. #157
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I find if you earn more than your partner..you somehow emasculate them..
    a partner who feel emasculated because his partner earns more than he does has a problem - and it is not her.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  8. #158
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I would feel really odd if I made more money than my husband.
    I am more interested in earning what I am worth rather than pretending that I am worth less than my partner.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  9. #159
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    People have strange beliefs about what "Housewife" is...and that not being employed outside the home...somehow means that they don't earn their way. It's damn hard work...and if women charged for the work that they do in the home...it would run in the neighborhood of $50K a year.

    Those that believe income defines who is the leader of the family...very lacking in understanding marital relationships.

    And those who believe that women who earn more than their husbands...damage their self-esteem...is a trip back to the 1950's thinking.

    Times have changed...but apparently a lot of people live in a very stagnated delusion about what's going on in the here and now.
    yeah, you know what? back in the 70's I was familiar with all those arguments - but I have been a stay at home Mum as well, and I don't agree.

    Sure, when you are a "housewife" you have to be everything - but very few of those roles are performed at anywhere near a professional level. and lets face it - if "housewives" work was so demanding, the rise of the day time soaps and chat show would never have happened.

    It CAN BE full on, and being a full time parent can be demanding - especially if you are committed to engaging with your kids, but I know for a fact that time at home IS NOT HARDER (workwise) than working full time and being there for kids when you get home, and being at home with the kids at school most of the day is certainly NOT HARDER than working full time and doing what used to be called "the double shift".
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  10. #160
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Do Degreed women have a harder time finding a Husband?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Then why do more women graduate from college than men? This seems like a observation made from bias and stereotypes (unless it is an observation from many decades ago). There are fewer men in college than women, especially nowdays, and most women/girls entering college know this. But there aren't just more entering college, but also graduating from college. And young girls entering college research colleges more on their academics and programs than young men do.

    Young Women Are More Likely Than Men to Aspire to College, and to Graduate - Students - The Chronicle of Higher Education

    What you describe sounds like gender stereotyping that is very outdated. It is from a past time when young women very well may have went to college to earn their "MRS", instead of an actual degree. That is not the case anymore.
    absolutely true - and maybe the question that should be discussed is why men are less attracted to education.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •