View Poll Results: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 64.71%
  • No

    7 20.59%
  • I Don't Know

    5 14.71%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 100

Thread: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

  1. #71
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    It is saying that he is wrong to rule or even think a certain way because of the race he is.
    Which is racial, but not racist by how I define racism.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #72
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Clarence Thomas has been referred to as an Uncle Tom since the day he was nominated as a Supreme Court judge and it's entirely because of his race. White judges, regardless of political affiliation are not called Uncle Toms.
    X...okay.

    Uncle Tom is simply a term used to imply or state that a black person has defected and or abandoned the black culture...in context to the story...in which the term is derived from.

    If you choose to call it "race related"..so be it...

    And no...white judges aren't going to be considered uncle toms because the term...didn't derive from a story about a "white" uncle tom...who became a turn-coat of sorts against whites.

    It might behove you to read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" to grasp the differences in who he was in the book verse how he as completely recreated to make a movie.

  3. #73
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I love watching Liberals defend this.
    I did not defend the comment. In fact I was very clear that it was a vile comment. Not being racist does not make it ok. I love watching conservatives try and make things about what they are not.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #74
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    It is certainly racist as far as the term racist goes it is targeting someone because of there color often. Often people of different colors are targeted when in a potions of power think jay z and the so called Illuminati thing think how many american bands sing about the devil but when a ethnic minority does look at the reaction

  5. #75
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It's one black saying to another, "You're not black enough. You're blackness is inferior to mine. You're not like me. I'm better than you. You must be like me to gain approval.", hence it's still a racial pejorative in that it is intended to detract and degrade based on race and/or racial idealism.
    No, it is one black saying "your attitude is not appropriate for a black person.
    Your attitude is inferior to mine."

    Also race is at least partially a physical characteristic whereas idealism is not a
    physical attribute. therefore the two should not be conflated. You cannot possibly
    say that one is inferior because of his race without being a racist. It is possible
    to say that one's ideas are inferior without being a racist.

  6. #76
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?
    It's no more racist than Quisling or Tory, given the popular meaning of the term.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #77
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by USViking View Post
    No, it is one black saying "your attitude is not appropriate for a black person.
    Your attitude is inferior to mine."

    Also race is at least partially a physical characteristic whereas idealism is not a
    physical attribute. therefore the two should not be conflated. You cannot possibly
    say that one is inferior because of his race without being a racist. It is possible
    to say that one's ideas are inferior without being a racist.
    You're splitting hairs. Yes, it's an attitude... an attitude based on racial biases.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #78
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by USViking View Post
    No, it is one black saying "your attitude is not appropriate for a black person.
    Your attitude is inferior to mine."

    Also race is at least partially a physical characteristic whereas idealism is not a
    physical attribute. therefore the two should not be conflated. You cannot possibly
    say that one is inferior because of his race without being a racist. It is possible
    to say that one's ideas are inferior without being a racist.
    I agree...

    And one more time...I know everybody is sick of me posting it, but most people...white and black...don't know the full story or even the true story behind "Uncle Tom". And that knowing history is essential in understanding what you just posted.

  9. #79
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I disagree with that, an insult is not in itself racist. In this case, calling Clarance Thomas an Uncle Tom is not suggesting he is inferior because of his race, so it is not racist.
    Agreed, it definitely is a pejorative, but it's not racist. Where is your vote?

  10. #80
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,982

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    I think it's racist. It's a derogatory term for blacks.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •