View Poll Results: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 64.71%
  • No

    7 20.59%
  • I Don't Know

    5 14.71%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100

Thread: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

  1. #61
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I disagree with that, an insult is not in itself racist. In this case, calling Clarance Thomas an Uncle Tom is not suggesting he is inferior because of his race, so it is not racist.
    It is saying that he is wrong to rule or even think a certain way because of the race he is.

  2. #62
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Yeah, kind of...but the history behind the name is the telling story...and the changing of the story...is the guts of the issue, which does make Uncle Tom a traitor of sorts, that he placates to whites for favors or personal gain.

    As I mentioned in a prior post, in the original story of Uncle Tom's Cabin. Uncle Tom was a hero...and died protecting his home, culture, etc. and was far from a traitor or sell-out, if you prefer.
    I don't dispute that, but I'm not so sure today's common usage reflects that. As language is wont to do over time, I think the term has evolved away from that.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #63
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I disagree with that, an insult is not in itself racist. In this case, calling Clarance Thomas an Uncle Tom is not suggesting he is inferior because of his race, so it is not racist.
    I love watching Liberals defend this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #64
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    RACE IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC TERM BUT A SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION HISTORICALLY COMMON PEOPLE ARE TRICKED INTO THE IDEAS OF RACE BY THE RULING CLASS. Although people are all just human and equal however people off different colors and ethnicity have had different experiences of life which must be respected so by history a cultures are differnent and racism must be showed no tolerance however something must of made people racist media, peers and remember although wrong racist people are still human

  5. #65
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I disagree with that, an insult is not in itself racist. In this case, calling Clarance Thomas an Uncle Tom is not suggesting he is inferior because of his race, so it is not racist.

    I didn't say such regarding Clarence Thomas.

    Calling CT "Uncle Tom" was another way of saying that he's a sell-out to his own race, that he's placating to the ideas of "whitey"...and for some personal gain, whatever that might be???

    So I assume that blacks who consider CT an Uncle Tom...isn't making a racist comment, but saying that he's abandoned his culture or race. But whether or not one would include the word "racist" or "bigot"...would be entirely based on their person perception of C.T.'s motives for siding with the majority.

    I can't say....because I don't know. I don't live inside of Clarence Thomas' head...

  6. #66
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    No such thing as race

  7. #67
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by truth seeker? View Post
    No such thing as race
    I'll probably regret this, but I'll play along.

    Why is there no such thing as race?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #68
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I don't dispute that, but I'm not so sure today's common usage reflects that. As language is wont to do over time, I think the term has evolved away from that.
    I would agree that the "term" Uncle Tom...is derogatory...no doubt about it. And I think I can agree in part with your previous post.

    But I think my point is that most people, black or white don't understand the history of how the term came into being.

  9. #69
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    There is no biological support that people are separated races in that are biology is in fact the same are brain is the same ect were all just human

  10. #70
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    I didn't say such regarding Clarence Thomas.

    Calling CT "Uncle Tom" was another way of saying that he's a sell-out to his own race, that he's placating to the ideas of "whitey"...and for some personal gain, whatever that might be???

    So I assume that blacks who consider CT an Uncle Tom...isn't making a racist comment, but saying that he's abandoned his culture or race. But whether or not one would include the word "racist" or "bigot"...would be entirely based on their person perception of C.T.'s motives for siding with the majority.

    I can't say....because I don't know. I don't live inside of Clarence Thomas' head...
    Clarence Thomas has been referred to as an Uncle Tom since the day he was nominated as a Supreme Court judge and it's entirely because of his race. White judges, regardless of political affiliation are not called Uncle Toms.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •