View Poll Results: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 64.71%
  • No

    7 20.59%
  • I Don't Know

    5 14.71%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 100

Thread: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

  1. #51
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Thomas was a traitor because he allowed Troy Davis to be killed when there was evidence that the allegations against him were forced. He is a traitor because he allowed Troy Davis to be a victim of the racism within the death penalty.

    "Anyone who doubts the death penalty’s past connection with racism need only consider this statistic: Between 1930 and 1967 (at which point executions stopped pending a decade-long Supreme Court overhaul of the death penalty), 54 percent of the 3,859 people put to death under civilian authority in the U.S. were African American. This was not only out of proportion with the black share of the total population but also out of proportion with the percentage of serious crimes committed by blacks. Given that history, lingering racism is an undeniable risk factor looming over today’s system." The Death Penalty and Racism - Charles Lane - The American Interest Magazine

    "Several years after the death penalty was reinstated in 1976, a University of Iowa law professor, David C. Baldus (who died last month), along with two colleagues, published a study examining more than 2,000 homicides that took place in Georgia beginning in 1972. They found that black defendants were 1.7 times more likely to receive the death penalty than white defendants and that murderers of white victims were 4.3 times more likely to be sentenced to death than those who killed blacks." http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/09/op...9dow.html?_r=0
    He's a traitor because Davis was black. You said it already, if Davis had been white, Thomas would not be a traitor. Race is the deciding factor. I'm not at all sure why you can't admit that which you've already said. Now, are you saying that any judge that presides over a court in which a black defendant gets the death penalty is an Uncle Tom?

  2. #52
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Absolutely, Black people have been holding down their own by giving other black people the Uncle Tom label for generations.
    This is an incredibly un-politically correct opinion, but I believe it is factually correct. Unfortunately, too many people want to bury their head in the sand and pretend otherwise.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #53
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,479

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Dude, how can someone be a traitor to their race unless it's based on race?
    X...to gain personal advantages, circumvent oppressive treatment or abusive treatment, to turn on one's own race in order to look more favorable to another race....yadda, yadda, yadda.

    But in the original story, "Uncle Tom's Cabin"...Uncle Tom didn't do any of the aforementioned. There was a movie made that it's maker's turned the character into a villain, a traitor of sorts by selling out his allegiance to his black community for personal gains, which in the real story...he died for.

  4. #54
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    No, in no way do I consider it racist. For me, to be racist, a comment has to indicate superiority or inferiority of a race. Slurs and derogatory comments towards an individual do not necessarily indicate inferiority of a race. In the Clarence Thomas comment, as vile as it was, it did not indicate that he was less than others due to race.

    To my way of thinking, we do a disservice by overuse of the word "racist/racism". It should be a big one. As there are a number of examples in this thread, it is used far to often in a petty manner to score political points. I find it embarrassing that racial issues in this country are seen more as politics and less as something to overcome. It's all about pointing fingers at the other guy. It is pathetic, it is sad, and it is holding us back.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #55
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    De
    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This is an incredibly un-politically correct opinion, but I believe it is factually correct. Unfortunately, too many people want to bury their head in the sand and pretend otherwise.
    I've just realized I don't have to be politically correct on Debate Politics.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,063

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Moderator's Warning:
    Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]Address the topic instead of attacking other posters.

  7. #57
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,479

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, in no way do I consider it racist. For me, to be racist, a comment has to indicate superiority or inferiority of a race. Slurs and derogatory comments towards an individual do not necessarily indicate inferiority of a race. In the Clarence Thomas comment, as vile as it was, it did not indicate that he was less than others due to race.

    To my way of thinking, we do a disservice by overuse of the word "racist/racism". It should be a big one. As there are a number of examples in this thread, it is used far to often in a petty manner to score political points. I find it embarrassing that racial issues in this country are seen more as politics and less as something to overcome. It's all about pointing fingers at the other guy. It is pathetic, it is sad, and it is holding us back.
    Well, there's a clear and concise difference between racist and bigot. And I've seen both terms used incorrectly when arguments are made.

    But in this case...I think USVIKING on post #16 has come as close to the core of what the "term Uncle Tom" usage does in terms of how it impacts blacks and other races. He posted:
    If a White calls a Black an "Uncle Tom" or a "Tom" it is racist, if a Black calls a Black it is not.

    The double standard is justified because the term means different things to different users.

    To a white it is a racial slur just like the n-word: the target's race is what is wrong with him.
    To a Black it is a character slur: it is not the target's race that is wrong with him, but his attitude.

  8. #58
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by USViking View Post
    If a White calls a Black an "Uncle Tom" or a "Tom" it is racist, if a Black calls a Black it is not.

    The double standard is justified because the term means different things to different users.

    To a white it is a racial slur just like the n-word: the target's race is what is wrong with him.
    To a Black it is a character slur: it is not the target's race that is wrong with him, but his attitude.
    It's one black saying to another, "You're not black enough. You're blackness is inferior to mine. You're not like me. I'm better than you. You must be like me to gain approval.", hence it's still a racial pejorative in that it is intended to detract and degrade based on race and/or racial idealism.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #59
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Well, there's a clear and concise difference between racist and bigot. And I've seen both terms used incorrectly when arguments are made.

    But in this case...I think USVIKING on post #16 has come as close to the core of what the "term Uncle Tom" usage does in terms of how it impacts blacks and other races. He posted:
    I disagree with that, an insult is not in itself racist. In this case, calling Clarance Thomas an Uncle Tom is not suggesting he is inferior because of his race, so it is not racist.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #60
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,479

    Re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It's one black saying to another, "You're not black enough. You're blackness is inferior to mine. You're not like me. I'm better than you. You must be like me to gain approval.", hence it's still a racial pejorative in that it is intended to detract and degrade based on race and/or racial idealism.
    Yeah, kind of...but the history behind the name is the telling story...and the changing of the story...is the guts of the issue, which does make Uncle Tom a traitor of sorts, that he placates to whites for favors or personal gain.

    As I mentioned in a prior post, in the original story of Uncle Tom's Cabin. Uncle Tom was a hero...and died protecting his home, culture, etc. and was far from a traitor or sell-out, if you prefer.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •