View Poll Results: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 64.71%
  • No

    7 20.59%
  • I Don't Know

    5 14.71%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 100

Thread: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

  1. #41
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?


    Yes


    No


    I Don't Know
    Depends on how it's used. One can be an Uncle Tom in a situation that fits the story but is not based on race. Or it can be based on race, but the characters behavior, not race, is, I think, the correct base for the meaning of the term.

  2. #42
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    No, it is the fact that he let Troy Davis die when the evidence clearly showed that his trial deserved to be stayed.
    Whether he deserved it or not is irrelevant. You're saying he sold out his entire race for not backing the stay. For him to not be an Uncle Tom, he should not have failed to back the stay of a black defendant.

  3. #43
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Whether he deserved it or not is irrelevant. You're saying he sold out his entire race for not backing the stay. For him to not be an Uncle Tom, he should not have failed to back the stay of a black defendant.
    Actually it is quite relevant seeing as how it cost Troy Davis his life. I never stated that Thomas should have backed Davis on the basis of race, but on the basis of evidence.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  4. #44
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Actually it is quite relevant seeing as how it cost Troy Davis his life. I never stated that Thomas should have backed Davis on the basis of race, but on the basis of evidence.
    That's all your opinion. You're not calling him a traitor to the law, you're saying that failing to back the stay on someone else who's black is what makes him a traitor. If he had backed the stay solely based on race he would not be an Uncle Tom, correct?

  5. #45
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    That's all your opinion. You're not calling him a traitor to the law, you're saying that failing to back the stay on someone else who's black is what makes him a traitor. If he had backed the stay solely based on race he would not be an Uncle Tom, correct?
    Wanna tell me where I stated he was a traitor solely based on that he didn't back Davis because he was black?
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  6. #46
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,566
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Actually no. What you are describing are the differences in behavior that come from one's socioeconomic background. One can be a middle or upper-class back person and not be an Uncle Tom. The main behavior of an Uncle Tom is that they adamantly are willing to sell out black people or betray the race for their own personal gains or to look better in the eyes of whites. For an example of this, all one need to do is look at the character Uncle Ruckus from the tv series The Boondocks, although they obviously aren't that extreme in real life.
    I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. When I wrote "I've heard it being used..." I meant I literally heard it being used that way. I spent a major portion of my youth between 1959 -1975 living in Harlem, NY. The Uncle I told you about lived just down the street on Convent Ave., while I was up with my grandma off Amsterdam Ave in a mid-140's St. block That doesnt include a stint in Watts when I was in 7th Grade (Samuel Gompers Jr High). I had another Black uncle and four cousins in the Bronx, a Puerto Rican uncle and three cousins down the street, and I am half American Indian living with my grandma while my dad was in the service. I am fully aware of racial issues.

    Now things don't seem so bad today, but still I've heard street kids call other kids "Uncle Tom" just because they were trying to work themselves out of the ghettos. I wouldn't go so far as to say you are wrong, just not completely right.

  7. #47
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Wanna tell me where I stated he was a traitor solely based on that he didn't back Davis because he was black?
    Dude, how can someone be a traitor to their race unless it's based on race?

  8. #48
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?


    Yes

    No


    I Don't Know
    Absolutely, Black people have been holding down their own by giving other black people the Uncle Tom label for generations.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #49
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Dude, how can someone be a traitor to their race unless it's based on race?
    Thomas was a traitor because he allowed Troy Davis to be killed when there was evidence that the allegations against him were forced. He is a traitor because he allowed Troy Davis to be a victim of the racism within the death penalty.

    "Anyone who doubts the death penalty’s past connection with racism need only consider this statistic: Between 1930 and 1967 (at which point executions stopped pending a decade-long Supreme Court overhaul of the death penalty), 54 percent of the 3,859 people put to death under civilian authority in the U.S. were African American. This was not only out of proportion with the black share of the total population but also out of proportion with the percentage of serious crimes committed by blacks. Given that history, lingering racism is an undeniable risk factor looming over today’s system." The Death Penalty and Racism - Charles Lane - The American Interest Magazine

    "Several years after the death penalty was reinstated in 1976, a University of Iowa law professor, David C. Baldus (who died last month), along with two colleagues, published a study examining more than 2,000 homicides that took place in Georgia beginning in 1972. They found that black defendants were 1.7 times more likely to receive the death penalty than white defendants and that murderers of white victims were 4.3 times more likely to be sentenced to death than those who killed blacks." http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/09/op...9dow.html?_r=0
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  10. #50
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?


    Yes


    No


    I Don't Know


    Why do you ask?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •