View Poll Results: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 64.71%
  • No

    7 20.59%
  • I Don't Know

    5 14.71%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 100

Thread: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

  1. #31
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If a white man calls a black man n****r, do you think he's talking about all black men or just the one he's speaking to? If he's just speaking to that one black man, do you believe his use of the word isn't racist?
    I've already explained all this, CJ. If it's a term used by liberals against black conservatives it's completely ok and justified. Everything else you'll hear from TPD or Pasch or whoever can all be reduced to that.

  2. #32
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    "Nigger" is inherently used to denote black people, in general. "Uncle Tom" is inherently used to describe a specific "type" of black person. What part of this do you not understand. It has nothing to do with the intent of the speaker, but the meaning of the word.
    I didn't ask you - but since you answered, your response is idiotic nonsense. It is always the intent of a speaker in the way they use language, not merely the meaning of the words used. Any fool understands that.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #33
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So Clarence Thomas, in order to not be an Uncle Tom should not rule on law but on race, giving preference to blacks? What if he'd have made the exact same decision if the guy was white?
    No, he was not supposed to rule on race. It is the fact that he ignored that the witnesses had admitted that their testimony was false and thus Troy Davis execution should have been stayed. It is the fact he ignored the evidence which would have given Troy Davis a second chance, a chance that he deserved, given the admissions and its affect on the trial.

    If he had made the same decision on someone who was white, he would still have been in the wrong, but he would not be an Uncle Tom as, like I said before, it is used among black people to describe traitors and bootlickers in our community.


    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I appreciate your point - I'd just ask, if the term is used by one black person against another black person for essentially not being black enough, isn't that then proof that the term is race related and used to imply, explicitly or implicitly, that the black person is white, at least in their thinking?
    No, it doesn't have to do with the person being black enough, but rather has to do with their actions and specifically how those actions are done for their own personal enrichment at the expense of the black community. For example, a slave who goes and tells the master that other slaves are planning to escape would be an Uncle Tom.
    Last edited by Mr. Invisible; 06-28-13 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Spelling and added emphasis
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I didn't ask you - but since you answered, your response is idiotic nonsense. It is always the intent of a speaker in the way they use language, not merely the meaning of the words used. Any fool understands that.
    Calm down. Words have meanings. The n word and "uncle tom" have different meanings. The former tends to refer to all black people while the latter always refers to specific black people. Therefore, your false comparison between the words is a failure.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 06-28-13 at 04:03 PM.

  5. #35
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    It's somewhat insulting to consider a standard in which a large group of people must engage in group think on the simple basis of the color of their skin, but the word racist is too often thrown around. It's more disappointing than racist though.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  6. #36
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    No, he was not supposed to rule on race. It is the fact that he ignored that the witnesses had admitted that their testimony was false and thus Troy Davis execution should have been stayed. It is the fact he ignored the evidence which would have given Troy Davis a second chance, a chance that he deserved, give the admissions and its affect on the trial.

    If he had made the same decision on someone who was white, he would still have been in the wrong, but he would not be an Uncle Tom as, like I said before, it is used among black people to describe traitors and bootlickers in our community.
    So any black judge who does not, at least, consider giving preferential treatment based on race is an Uncle Tom. Got it.

  7. #37
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So any black judge who does not, at least, consider giving preferential treatment based on race is an Uncle Tom. Got it.
    Reading comprehension FAIL!

    "No, he was not supposed to rule on race. It is the fact that he ignored that the witnesses had admitted that their testimony was false and thus Troy Davis execution should have been stayed. It is the fact he ignored the evidence which would have given Troy Davis a second chance, a chance that he deserved, give the admissions and its affect on the trial.

    If he had made the same decision on someone who was white, he would still have been in the wrong, but he would not be an Uncle Tom as, like I said before, it is used among black people to describe traitors and bootlickers in our community."
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  8. #38
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Reading comprehension FAIL!

    "No, he was not supposed to rule on race. It is the fact that he ignored that the witnesses had admitted that their testimony was false and thus Troy Davis execution should have been stayed. It is the fact he ignored the evidence which would have given Troy Davis a second chance, a chance that he deserved, give the admissions and its affect on the trial.

    If he had made the same decision on someone who was white, he would still have been in the wrong, but he would not be an Uncle Tom as, like I said before, it is used among black people to describe traitors and bootlickers in our community."
    That is exactly what you're saying makes Thomas an Uncle Tom. Thomas' failure to back a stay on black defendant makes him a race traitor even if he would have made the exact same decision on a white guy.

  9. #39
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    If a black judge sentences a black defendant to the same sentence he would give a white defendant, is he an Uncle Tom?

  10. #40
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    re: Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist? [W:56]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    That is exactly what you're saying makes Thomas an Uncle Tom. Thomas' failure to back a stay on black defendant makes him a race traitor even if he would have made the exact same decision on a white guy.
    No, it is the fact that he let Troy Davis die when the evidence clearly showed that his trial deserved to be stayed.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •