View Poll Results: Is the phrase "Creepy Ass Cracker" Racist?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

    127 76.51%
  • No!

    20 12.05%
  • I blame Whitey!

    12 7.23%
  • Other

    7 4.22%
Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 660

Thread: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

  1. #101
    economically ☭ socially ☭

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    re: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    In debating, dictionary definitions, credible historical definitions, or credible definitions from other third party sources are all acceptable means of attempting to define words. Unilaterally making up a new definition to suit your argument isn't generally considered a valid debate tactic by anyone, anywhere, in any context.
    Appeals to dictionary definitions are annoying because they imply that the language we speak should be prescribed by, not described in, dictionaries.

    Prescriptivism is stupid.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Ok, I tell you what, this is a one time only offer: what the **** do you want?

    You want me to prove that bigotry against blacks continues to affect the US at all levels of society?
    I want you to prove to me that it is "institutionalized".
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

    Quote Originally Posted by instagramsci View Post
    Appeals to dictionary definitions are annoying because they imply that the language we speak should be prescribed by, not described in, dictionaries.

    Prescriptivism is stupid.
    Words have meanings. Otherwise no one would know what anyone else was talking about.

  4. #104
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    re: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I want you to prove to me that it is "institutionalized".
    It exists at and affects all levels of society (including state institutions).

    Do you deny that?

  5. #105
    economically ☭ socially ☭

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    re: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Words have meanings. Otherwise no one would know what anyone else was talking about.
    Context clues are a thing. We learn them in elementary school.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

    Quote Originally Posted by instagramsci View Post
    Appeals to dictionary definitions are annoying because they imply that the language we speak should be prescribed by, not described in, dictionaries.

    Prescriptivism is stupid.
    What is "stupid" is using the standard media accepted definition of "racist" when describing any little thing, even accidental, said by members of a certain race........ Yet when members of this OTHER race do the exact same thing..... excusing it away with "theories" and "pseudo-science"...... Every.... Single...... Time.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #107
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    re: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Words have meanings. Otherwise no one would know what anyone else was talking about.
    You don't think racism has anything to do with oppression and privilege?

  8. #108
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    re: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

    Quote Originally Posted by instagramsci View Post
    Appeals to dictionary definitions are annoying because they imply that the language we speak should be prescribed by, not described in, dictionaries.

    Prescriptivism is stupid.
    So we should stop using dictionaries to define words during debates, and just unilaterally make up our own definitions to suit us as and when we need to? That sounds fun and productive.

    Seriously, I don't even see what your point is at this stage. Are you accepting that he misused the word, but claiming that he's still right because he has a right to make up a new definition of the word? In that case, we can all be right about everything all the time, just by making our own completely irrelevant definitions for everything being said.

    This is silly.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

    Quote Originally Posted by instagramsci View Post
    Context clues are a thing. We learn them in elementary school.
    So. Words have meanings. We learn that in elementary school too.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    re: Creepy Ass Cracker.... Racist or no? [W:329/550]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Ecofarm's arguement is that there is racist laws. Are hate crime laws racist? Please consider the context of the arguement.
    Hate crime laws are discrimination no matter which direction they fall.

Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •