View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 93 of 132 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #921
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Well I think it's rather infallible when the question is whether or not homosexuality is "natural". I provided examples of when it is naturally occurring, which pretty much ends the subject right there.

    As far as whether it's a choice or not, there's no evidence that it is a choice, and boatloads of evidence that it isn't a choice.
    Boatloads of conclusive evidence? The APA says, "Most people report having little or no choice." That's conclusive?

  2. #922
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Well I think it's rather infallible when the question is whether or not homosexuality is "natural". I provided examples of when it is naturally occurring, which pretty much ends the subject right there.

    As far as whether it's a choice or not, there's no evidence that it is a choice, and boatloads of evidence that it isn't a choice.
    I think you have to be a bit careful with that logic, because what you are really saying is that everything that occurs in nature should be considered "natural" among humans. Thus, if in nature certain animals kill (part) of their offspring then it should be considered "natural" for human beings to do that too?
    I'm not arguing any side here. The question of whether homosexuality is "natural" is pretty irrelevant. But using this sort of reasoning as an argument can lead you to espouse some strange things.

    I also believe it is rather difficult to argue that there is evidence that homosexuality isn't a choice and no evidence that it isn't? What sort of evidence is this? How do you explain that people change their sexual orientation or are bisexual?
    Again, I'm not arguing one side, but I believe that the sort of absolutist statements you make are pretty wrongheaded.

  3. #923
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    I think you have to be a bit careful with that logic, because what you are really saying is that everything that occurs in nature should be considered "natural" among humans. Thus, if in nature certain animals kill (part) of their offspring then it should be considered "natural" for human beings to do that too?
    I'm not arguing any side here. The question of whether homosexuality is "natural" is pretty irrelevant. But using this sort of reasoning as an argument can lead you to espouse some strange things.

    I also believe it is rather difficult to argue that there is evidence that homosexuality isn't a choice and no evidence that it isn't? What sort of evidence is this? How do you explain that people change their sexual orientation or are bisexual?
    Again, I'm not arguing one side, but I believe that the sort of absolutist statements you make are pretty wrongheaded.
    I have stated my belief that orientation is a choice and changeable throughout life. I feel that I can certainly make that choice. The response I get is that I am a bisexual, rather than a person who can change from homosexual to hetero or vice versa. And that bisexual is the 3rd orientation. I feel that our definitions/usage of the word orientation and bisexual could use some updating. I believe everyone can make the choice to change their orientation. In large part because I have seen no conclusive evidence that something within us blocks or precludes us from making such a choice. Another part of the argument is that people can not change which gender they are attracted to. I disagree with that as well, saying that attraction is a function of attention and we can choose to pay attention to anyone/thing we want, and to consider that person/thing in any light/context we want, and we can hold that person/thing in a certain context in our attention long enough to change our views on it.

  4. #924
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Don't bother trying to see a good or bad reason why some one would choose homosexuality.
    oh ok thx I see your point and find myself agreeing with you. I've known non-lesbian woman that have chosen
    to adopt that 'lifestyle' later in life. it was always because of bad past experiences with men in their lives.

  5. #925
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    dang it he's done it agian
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    which pretty much ends the subject right there.
    The issue is decided

    Lock the thread we are done here. He's 110% right I could never ever even entertain the idea of doin' it with a guy, ever.

  6. #926
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryOldGuy View Post
    dang it he's done it agian

    The issue is decided

    Lock the thread we are done here. He's 110% right I could never ever even entertain the idea of doin' it with a guy, ever.
    Of course you can. You can conjure up any image you can imagine and nothing in your brain/mind would stop you. Try thinking of a ..... a .... a 5-headed dog. Go ahead. See the dog with 5 heads. Now try a.... a.... a naked man. You can do that without short-circuiting your brain. Now the naked man is giving you a massage. You can imagine that and nothing in you would stop you except your own habitual/programmed reaction. "Yuck". But you can change that reaction with willpower and effort and re-programming the messages that you have taken in from society and the ones you wrote yourself.

  7. #927
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Of course you can. You can conjure up any image you can imagine and nothing in your brain/mind would stop you. Try thinking of a ..... a .... a 5-headed dog. Go ahead. See the dog with 5 heads. Now try a.... a.... a naked man. You can do that without short-circuiting your brain. Now the naked man is giving you a massage. You can imagine that and nothing in you would stop you except your own habitual/programmed reaction. "Yuck". But you can change that reaction with willpower and effort and re-programming the messages that you have taken in from society and the ones you wrote yourself.
    I get that you're trying to not be offensive, but the problem is you act as if this would never occur to gays and as if this has never been attempted. When even the "ex gay" groups are shutting down, it's time to let go of this myth. Simple conditioning cannot undo the processes that take place in the womb, our genes, brain anatomy etc. Even if it were possible, there is no *deliberate, conscious choice to be homosexual,* which is how I interpret the thread question. If it were that way, people would 'become gay' at different points in life and the 'ex gay' success rate would be far higher.

  8. #928
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Lying does not make you look good, knock it off
    Since I'm not, as I have proven, the problem here is with what YOU are saying.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #929
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Ok. Agreed on that. My point is still in post 907.
    I Don't know about anybody else. I once suffered from borderline scoleciphobia. I still have an aversion to worms, but not so much that loo can't put a hook in one.

    I have given my phobia thought and forced myself to deal with it. I wouldn't say its gone because I really have to think about it to make myself handle it.

    But I don't have any clue what this has to do with homosexuality.

  10. #930
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,012

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Of course you can. You can conjure up any image you can imagine and nothing in your brain/mind would stop you. Try thinking of a ..... a .... a 5-headed dog. Go ahead. See the dog with 5 heads. Now try a.... a.... a naked man. You can do that without short-circuiting your brain. Now the naked man is giving you a massage. You can imagine that and nothing in you would stop you except your own habitual/programmed reaction. "Yuck". But you can change that reaction with willpower and effort and re-programming the messages that you have taken in from society and the ones you wrote yourself.
    Dude, are you actually Navy? Then I have three words for you: Theory to Practice. Unless they are not teaching that any more in the Navy. Just because one can imagine something (theory) does not mean that one can execute it (practice).

Page 93 of 132 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •