View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 91 of 132 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 910 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #901
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Concentration. Making the conscious effort to ignore my previous ideas about how-a-woman-should-look. Not so that I am attracted to HER (this ugly girl) specifically. Rather, re-writing the "rules" I follow regarding attraction in general. For example, I can consciously decide that acne and an asymmetrical face are OK. Those are just value-based judgments anyway. Values can change. Then, seeing this chic as not-ugly will be easier. Do you agree thus far?
    yes
    The only limitations that I can think of, are the will/desire and mental power to pull off such a stunt. But given the accomplishments of the human race to date, I think it is possible. How about you?
    Facial features are one thing, gender is far more fundamental.
    I want to suggest to those that think that orientation/attraction is unchangeable, possibly only think so b/c they have not considered the power of concentration and the ease with replacing one value-based judgment with another.
    I don't think you realize that a lot of gay people did consider and attempt this to no avail.
    (When I say concentration, I don't mean an image of a buddhist monk trekking to a mountain and making an ice-cold towel on his bareback so hot that it releases steam. Have you seen that discovery channel special? No. I mean just sitting in your recliner and casually thinking about the "other gender" in such a way that it is arousing. Not giving up too soon. If the will to do so is not there, it won't happen. But that doesn't mean its impossible. If the will is there, but it doesn't happen, why can't the reason be something other than: Well it must just be impossible. ?
    I did this for 15 years, how long do I continue to waste my life confusing myself?

  2. #902
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    That's the focal point of our disagreement. I think it can change. You think it can't. If there was conclusive evidence either way, one or both of us would have stopped debating this after only a few posts (depending on how fast the conclusive evidence was brought into the thread.)
    I know it can't, for me at least. I tried, I thought just like you. I Don't want to waste anymore of my life confusing myself.

  3. #903
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Not all fears are known. Not all are understood. I don't think all fears are simple to understand, for everyone.
    I disagree, fears are known, are you speaking of phobia?

  4. #904
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    What issues do I have?
    how classic

  5. #905
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    how classic
    What that you can't answer anything? I know, classic charlatan move.

  6. #906
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I disagree, fears are known, are you speaking of phobia?
    No. Not phobia. Let me rephrase because I misspoke. I meant the reasons for our fears are not always known by everyone who experiences a particular fear. I believe we can go through our whole lives and never give the matter of our particular fear of mice any attention. Thus, we get no closer to understanding why we fear them. Give it some attention (<--- a choice) and who knows what we will discover. That goes for any and all aspects of our behavior. in my opinion.

  7. #907
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    No. Not phobia. Let me rephrase because I misspoke. I meant the reasons for our fears are not always known by everyone who experiences a particular fear. I believe we can go through our whole lives and never give the matter of our particular fear of mice any attention. Thus, we get no closer to understanding why we fear them. Give it some attention (<--- a choice) and who knows what we will discover. That goes for any and all aspects of our behavior. in my opinion.
    You are describing a phobia. A fear of something with no rational reason is a phobia.

  8. #908
    Advisor Morrigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    10-13-14 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    351

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Sorry, but from what I've seen from people I know is that the realization, personal acceptance, and family acceptance of any "non-mainstream" sexual identity often comes hand-in-hand with significant psychological issues such as severe depression, at least initially.

    The notion that people have the ability to choose their sexual preference is just ridiculous. I cannot and do not want to change mine and chances are the same is true for you.
    Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis

  9. #909
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    You are describing a phobia. A fear of something with no rational reason is a phobia.
    But there are only a certain number of phobias right? (even if that number is 10,000 there are still things that people can be afraid of that do not have there own phobia-name.) So I don't want to limit my point to phobias only.

  10. #910
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigi View Post
    Sorry, but from what I've seen from people I know is that the realization, personal acceptance, and family acceptance of any "non-mainstream" sexual identity often comes hand-in-hand with significant psychological issues such as severe depression, at least initially.

    The notion that people have the ability to choose their sexual preference is just ridiculous. I cannot and do not want to change mine and chances are the same is true for you.
    The cause of that depression may be due to conflict between one's perceived identity and his/her perception of his environment's expectations/rules. Remove the stigma in society and the depression may never occur. Easier said than done, I know.

Page 91 of 132 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •