View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 9 of 132 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #81
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Anybody have statistics on the sexual orientation outcome of children raised by gay parents? After all...role modeling is a real effect of parenting.

    My bet...NO...gay parents don't in anyway influence their child's sexual orientation.

    If that's a good bet...then I'm betting that sexual orientation...is simply a product of wiring at birth.

    However, I'm not claiming that environmental homosexuality doesn't exist. I don't doubt that it does. But I believe that environmental sexual orientation effects...are the exception and far from the rule.
    I think it was "Cameron" and indicated about 33% of the children raised in a homosexual household were homosexual. The parents claimed it was genetic, the study indicated it to be environmental. That is all I know.

  2. #82
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,516

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is a woman who chooses to live in a committed relationship with another woman, because she's sick and tired of being treated like crap by men, gay? Or, is she straight and just sleeping with another woman?
    That's a good example of "environmental homosexuality". It happens, but not the rule. And I think you're right...the human species is too complex to understand all things..."for now". But it's inevitable that the origin of sexuality will be discovered.

    I'm no spring rooster, but I think that sexual orientation will be scientifically unraveled in my lifetime. A lot of homosexuals don't want that to happen because if it is proven that sexual orientation is more related to wiring...then they fear genetic engineering will eventually be used to control sexual orientation.

    Technology is moving at exponential rates.

  3. #83
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,516

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I think it was "Cameron" and indicated about 33% of the children raised in a homosexual household were homosexual. The parents claimed it was genetic, the study indicated it to be environmental. That is all I know.
    Interesting. Who is Cameron?

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    And this illustrates my point about the human species being too complex for a simplistic answer. People have a myriad of reasons for doing what they do. I have no doubt that most gay people are born that way, but to suggest it's exclusive is naive (if not arrogant), IMO.

    Also, to the point in my other post, when questions comes up like this maybe we should first define "gay". Is it the attraction solely, or is it the attraction combined with the action, or is it the action solely?
    I had another friend whom was asexual - according to him, he was attracted to both sexes, yet he had sex only with himself. So (like I said), he was asexual, not homosexual or hetero or anything but....

    Look, I'll be frank - to me, homosexuals are those whom ACTIVELY engage in same sex relations. Heterosexuals actively engage with the opposite sex and so on, bisexuals with both and so on.... That was, at least, the way I was educated. And yes, I have known people who (for one reason or another) have had sex with the same sex, yet ended up straight and vice versa....

    So, for the most part anyway, I guess I agree with you (this is a complex issue about a complex race called humans)....

    Let me ask you something, though: Do you think we'll ever be able to get along as a society? I understand perfectly where most people are coming from on this - both the yaysayers and the naysayers. It does seem, however, that very few understand where people like me are coming from.....

    I will answer my own question - I just don't know.

    Thanks for bringing this stuff up.

  5. #85
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Perhaps everyone hasn't had the life you have experienced. Now Im not trying to advocate one way or they other. I just like to keep an open mind and not paint anything in black and white.

    An acquaintance of mine has struggled his entire life with his sexual identity. As a boy from a very early age he was molested by his father, a father that was physically and verbally abusive, a father that never showed any love, affection, or caring for him except when it was time to preform sexual favors. During these times his father showed attention, seemed to care, spoke positively, and was kind (Im sure to get what he wanted). He wanted his father to love and care about him just as any of us do. So he started to relate the molestations with love and almost looked forward to these moments as the rest of the time he was largely ignored or abused in other ways. Eventually these times of love (it seemed to him) began to arouse him possibly for abnormal mental reasons (desire for love and affection as he saw it) and he started to enjoy these molestations.

    Once he got older and realized the full extent of what was being done to him he was appalled by it. As you can imagine he had many physiological issues as a result. However one link remained, he saw love as a sexual joining of males. He tried for years to have relationships with women but always felt they could not fill the void that was filled by the sex during his childhood. He eventually proclaimed his homosexuality.

    Now does this mean he was not born gay? We have no way of knowing one way or the other but it seems plausible that the events if his life may have influenced his sexual outlook perhaps even to the point of complete reversal.
    The question is not if one is born gay but if it's a choice, which nothing in your story, tragic though it is, indicates that it was.

  6. #86
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    I had another friend whom was asexual - according to him, he was attracted to both sexes, yet he had sex only with himself. So (like I said), he was asexual, not homosexual or hetero or anything but....

    Look, I'll be frank - to me, homosexuals are those whom ACTIVELY engage in same sex relations. Heterosexuals actively engage with the opposite sex and so on, bisexuals with both and so on.... That was, at least, the way I was educated. And yes, I have known people who (for one reason or another) have had sex with the same sex, yet ended up straight and vice versa....

    So, for the most part anyway, I guess I agree with you (this is a complex issue about a complex race called humans)....

    Let me ask you something, though: Do you think we'll ever be able to get along as a society? I understand perfectly where most people are coming from on this - both the yaysayers and the naysayers. It does seem, however, that very few understand where people like me are coming from.....

    I will answer my own question - I just don't know.

    Thanks for bringing this stuff up.
    So the 40 year old virgin was asexual before he had sex? I don't think so. One's sexual orientation has nothing to do with who they have sex with and everything to do with who they are attracted to.

    I get where you are coming from--its just wrong. What you were taught is wrong. People were talk blacks were inferior, and that was just as wrong.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I would think that any heterosexual who believes homosexualty is a choice test out their theory by choosing homosexuality for a little while to see how well that works out for them.

    Should be an easy matter if there is anything to their opinion.
    They already make the choice every day.

  8. #88
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    I had another friend whom was asexual - according to him, he was attracted to both sexes, yet he had sex only with himself. So (like I said), he was asexual, not homosexual or hetero or anything but....

    Look, I'll be frank - to me, homosexuals are those whom ACTIVELY engage in same sex relations. Heterosexuals actively engage with the opposite sex and so on, bisexuals with both and so on.... That was, at least, the way I was educated. And yes, I have known people who (for one reason or another) have had sex with the same sex, yet ended up straight and vice versa....

    So, for the most part anyway, I guess I agree with you (this is a complex issue about a complex race called humans)....

    Let me ask you something, though: Do you think we'll ever be able to get along as a society? I understand perfectly where most people are coming from on this - both the yaysayers and the naysayers. It does seem, however, that very few understand where people like me are coming from.....

    I will answer my own question - I just don't know.

    Thanks for bringing this stuff up.
    Not completely, no. I think we can improve and get better, but as far as a total and complete coexistence... no. And it comes back to the complexities of people. People are, for good or for bad, irrational beings. Again, for good or for bad, I believe too many people fear "different", and feel threatened by it. As far as the "born gay" issue it even comes out in those who emphatically insist they are without exception... it threatens their sense of how clear and neat they would prefer the world to be.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #89
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,807

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    of course not

    and this is true for the super vast majority
    for the minority they are some level of BI and bounce back between the two or switch
    for the super vast minority maybe they do make a choice and i would say that they simply have no sexuality or another type of sexuality


    i know i had no choice (cant have it both ways) in me being hetero and of the many gays i know they all say the same thing, they had no choice either, they knew at a young age they were different and that the society and social so called norms didnt make sense to them and they couldnt relate to them
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    This isn't about whether one is for or against gay marriage.....

    Simply vote and discuss whether you believe that homosexuals have a choice in the matter, or were simply born that way, with no choice whatsoever.

    Please be courteous - thanks in advance.
    I believe a small percentage of homosexuals might have been born gay. As for everyone else? It's a string of immoral choices that lead to their sexual preferences.

Page 9 of 132 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •