View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 84 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #831
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I think the way you phrased that question makes an answer of "yes" to be impossible. How's this.... Do you believe that you can choose to be attracted to a woman you previously found to be unattractive? My answer is yes. I rephrased your ??? bec i don't think a person can exist in state of attraction and a state of unattraction regarding the same object/person at the same time. --Which is what i think your question was asking.
    What I am asking is this: If you see a woman that you find incredibly unattractive right now in this moment, can you choose to be attracted to her? You say yes, it seems. Really, how?
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #832
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Why not? I do think for myself I am not a slave to instincts. I am attracted to brunets yet I married a blonde. Something about blonde hair just makes me say meh. But my wife has slowly changed my mind. And now her hair is turning grey, which isnt a turn on. But I find my wife very attractive and it has nothing to do with her sex or her looks. If she unfortunately was ina accident with acid or fire and was burned until she looked like a hideous monster nothing would change I would still be attracted to her in the same way that I am now.
    I never said attraction was purely physical, did I? All of what you are listing about your wife are things you find attractive about her.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  3. #833
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,045

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Nothing there disputes me. Nor is it anything I haven't read. It's clear you're so over worked you really don't know what my argument is. Go back and re read.
    I did reread and even included your quotes in my response. I spelled it out for you yet you just continue on as if I didnt pay attention. You my friend are amazing.

  4. #834
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,045

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    I never said attraction was purely physical, did I? All of what you are listing about your wife are things you find attractive about her.


    I cannot answer your question of absurdity.

    But I do actually understand what you were trying to get at. You were wondering if a person could make them self attracted to something that repulses them normally.
    That attraction would be dependent on many factors. ANd completely reliant on what decision the person has made. That is if they can indeed make such a decision. Some people can and some people cannot. But that fact doesnt matter to the people hell bent on saying that you cannot decide such things. ANd to the people that play this back and forth game they are convinced that they are right. Not ever at least once considering that they do not have all the facts on the matter. But hey why bother checking the evidence? Just get the message out right?

  5. #835
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,045

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    What I am asking is this: If you see a woman that you find incredibly unattractive right now in this moment, can you choose to be attracted to her? You say yes, it seems. Really, how?
    Back in the day a bottle of Jack made just about any women at closing time the most beautiful women in the world.

  6. #836
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I did reread and even included your quotes in my response. I spelled it out for you yet you just continue on as if I didnt pay attention. You my friend are amazing.
    Than you miss a lot. And quotes out of context are meaningless my friend. The point is that choice requires a certain willingness or ability to actually consider the options. Oh, we may do a act, say as they do on occasion in prison. But a reasonable choice requires a reasonable acceptance of the proposition.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #837
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,045

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Than you miss a lot. And quotes out of context are meaningless my friend. The point is that choice requires a certain willingness or ability to actually consider the options. Oh, we may do a act, say as they do on occasion in prison. But a reasonable choice requires a reasonable acceptance of the proposition.
    Then you only are stating the obvious, which doesnt deny anything that I have said.

    But seriously I didnt take anything out of context, your sentences were simple and clear. First you were claiming that if a person was going to decide to do something they were required to try both things before making a decision. But now you changed it to willingness and acceptance of making such a decision. Meh you went backwards and still didnt make a good argument against my claim that some people can make a choice about the sexuality (and that isnt just my opinion the experts agree with me, see the links that I previously provided).

    So there we have it my original claim still stands, that for some people their sexual orientation is a choice. And I still have not claimed that everyone can make such a choice. A point I believe that you are trying to ignore.

  8. #838
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Then you only are stating the obvious, which doesnt deny anything that I have said.

    But seriously I didnt take anything out of context, your sentences were simple and clear. First you were claiming that if a person was going to decide to do something they were required to try both things before making a decision. But now you changed it to willingness and acceptance of making such a decision. Meh you went backwards and still didnt make a good argument against my claim that some people can make a choice about the sexuality (and that isnt just my opinion the experts agree with me, see the links that I previously provided).

    So there we have it my original claim still stands, that for some people their sexual orientation is a choice. And I still have not claimed that everyone can make such a choice. A point I believe that you are trying to ignore.
    I do think it's obvious, but if you were paying attention, the other person I was talking to didn't agree. The entire conversation was about the nature of choice.

    And yes, you did. You have to read all the words, and not just a few. As you went along, you should have seen clarification.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #839
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,045

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I do think it's obvious, but if you were paying attention, the other person I was talking to didn't agree. The entire conversation was about the nature of choice.

    And yes, you did. You have to read all the words, and not just a few. As you went along, you should have seen clarification.
    I made my own claim, it wasnt a response to the conversation that you were having with another poster. In our conversation my post was the first one and then you responded to it.

    If you wanted to add information that you used previously in conversation with other posters then you needed to point me to those posts if those posts were pertinent to what you and I were discussing. Otherwise I cannot read your mind, and so I can only go by what you wrote to me. Call me lazy but I dont read the entirety of every thread. There usually is a lot of pointless chatter that I dont have the time to read.

    My reasoning here has been that in a small percentile sexual orientation is a choice. My point in bringing forth this information is to point out that depending on the "born this way" argument doesnt help out the small percentage that can choose. ANd ultimately shows that it is pointless to depend on such a argument when it doesnt universally work. Because face it this discussion exists because of the argument between anti-homosexuality and pro-homosexuality.

    Gay sex is an entirely moral activity that should not be the basis for discrimination not because there is no choice in sexual orientation, but because it is a personal behavior that causes no harm to others. The question of what causes some people to prefer their own gender might be an interesting one, but it is not a moral one.

  10. #840
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I made my own claim, it wasnt a response to the conversation that you were having with another poster. In our conversation my post was the first one and then you responded to it.

    If you wanted to add information that you used previously in conversation with other posters then you needed to point me to those posts if those posts were pertinent to what you and I were discussing. Otherwise I cannot read your mind, and so I can only go by what you wrote to me. Call me lazy but I dont read the entirety of every thread. There usually is a lot of pointless chatter that I dont have the time to read.

    My reasoning here has been that in a small percentile sexual orientation is a choice. My point in bringing forth this information is to point out that depending on the "born this way" argument doesnt help out the small percentage that can choose. ANd ultimately shows that it is pointless to depend on such a argument when it doesnt universally work. Because face it this discussion exists because of the argument between anti-homosexuality and pro-homosexuality.

    Gay sex is an entirely moral activity that should not be the basis for discrimination not because there is no choice in sexual orientation, but because it is a personal behavior that causes no harm to others. The question of what causes some people to prefer their own gender might be an interesting one, but it is not a moral one.
    What you made doesn't change that you made it during another conversation, putting it in the context of that conversation. This is how misunderstandings happen.

    Whether it is a moral question comes up as some claim it to be one. While I agree that it isn't, the debate is with those who think it is. I find their condemnation to be less moral.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 84 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •