View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 8 of 132 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #71
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    When you wake up tomorrow and find out that there is STILL no such thing as homosexual marriage in most states, don't be too shocked. It's just reality doing what reality does; being real.
    So far you have not given me any reasons at all to think it should not be made legal in all states. I mean it will take awhile, but it will happen. On top of that it is coming, like it or not. Now that it is federally recognized, all marriages in other states will have to be recognized as well no matter what state they were married in. Welcome to the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #72
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If you think of it as spectrum, much like people are not eithe 3 foot or 7 foot tall, then yes. It would stand to reason some coud choose. Think back to when you were 16. I remember have a very physical reaction to a young home EC teacher. What if I had that same reaction with the football coach? Or something equivalent. Or both? At som point we all come to understand what our bodies are saying. Not sure that's choice though.
    Kids are always looking for ways to make their marks . . . to be different . . . to stand out. Some choose to stand out by being the tough guy or the gal who puts rings in her tongue or some other outlandish way of expressing themselves. I think that some young people decide being gay or bi- is but another way of standing out from the crowd. JMVHO.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #73
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    The single biggest fail in questions like this is in presuming there is a "one size fits all" answer. The human species is way too complex for that.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #74
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Is a woman who chooses to live in a committed relationship with another woman, because she's sick and tired of being treated like crap by men, gay? Or, is she straight and just sleeping with another woman?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The single biggest fail in questions like this is in presuming there is a "one size fits all" answer. The human species is way too complex for that.
    Excellent point.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Kids are always looking for ways to make their marks . . . to be different . . . to stand out. Some choose to stand out by being the tough guy or the gal who puts rings in her tongue or some other outlandish way of expressing themselves. I think that some young people decide being gay or bi- is but another way of standing out from the crowd. JMVHO.
    Not when it comes to the act. Not really. As I said, there is a spectrum. But actual attraction is not something you can go too far with.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The single biggest fail in questions like this is in presuming there is a "one size fits all" answer. The human species is way too complex for that.
    As I said, there's a spectrum.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is a woman who chooses to live in a committed relationship with another woman, because she's sick and tired of being treated like crap by men, gay? Or, is she straight and just sleeping with another woman?
    Only she would know and maybe even she couldn't tell you yah or nay......

    Give you an example - I had a friend (a guy) whom briefly "turned gay" because of an obsessive chick he was in a prior relationship with. Mind you, this chick stalked him everywhere and was a real pro - so he started hating all women because of her and tried the same sex to cope. Through some talk therapy, he dealt with his fear of women and came back to dating the opposite sex. So yea, I guess anything's possible....

  9. #79
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    Only she would know and maybe even she couldn't tell you yah or nay......

    Give you an example - I had a friend (a guy) whom briefly "turned gay" because of an obsessive chick he was in a prior relationship with. Mind you, this chick stalked him everywhere and was a real pro - so he started hating all women because of her and tried the same sex to cope. Through some talk therapy, he dealt with his fear of women and came back to dating the opposite sex. So yea, I guess anything's possible....
    And this illustrates my point about the human species being too complex for a simplistic answer. People have a myriad of reasons for doing what they do. I have no doubt that most gay people are born that way, but to suggest it's exclusive is naive (if not arrogant), IMO.

    Also, to the point in my other post, when questions comes up like this maybe we should first define "gay". Is it the attraction solely, or is it the attraction combined with the action, or is it the action solely?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #80
    OPO extraordinaire

    MACS-24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Then they're not choosing. They're experimenting and discovering what they truly are. It's like trying several different flavors of ice cream. You like one more than the others. And then you eat more of that one.
    Yeah, I went back re-read the original posts and see that what I originally thought I read was off.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    If certain gun guys are insulted by that? Good, they should be ashamed: the rest of US are sick and tired of having our intelligence insulted[/i].



Page 8 of 132 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •