View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 75 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #741
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,206

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I disagree. I can choose something but the reason why I chose it can be beyond my awareness. For example, I thought I chose to start hating black people at age 21 when a black person robbed me. While I accepted that reason for many years, I later discovered, at age 31, that my racism was sown by a professor i had in college at age 20. When I think back to the things that professor said, and my reaction to those things, it is easy to see why i started hated black people after the robbery. Without that professor's influence, I might never have reacted to the robbery the way I did.
    Racism is an instinct, we tend to fear people that appear different than us. either in culture or appearance. We have to learn to compensate for that.

    But your opinion of black people changed, my sexuality never did. Hi find it highly doubtful that it ever will

  2. #742
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I may not understand it, but i have a far better understanding than you in regards to this.
    it was a lie i told myself to ease my tortured mind. The lie was comfortable because out didn't require me to change my understanding.

    It has never changed, my level of denial has been the only thing to change. As far back as I can remember having a thing for boys i was 12. Thus was prepubecent for me, that change started in my mid teens. I never really felt sexual or even romantic attraction to women/girls. I pretended i did because I WANTED to. I wanted babies and a beautiful wife.

    My sexual attraction was always toward male, never female. I forced myself to look at pictures of naked women, i would attempt to imagine women mentally to get off. It never worked.

    Even having sex with a woman I never climaxed by that alone, out didn't work i stopped and had to get my mind off of what I was doing to climax.

    My sexuality never changed, I lied about it to others but mostly to myself.but it has been constant.
    Ok. I won't argue with that.

  3. #743
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,206

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Ok. I won't argue with that.
    You can't.

  4. #744
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Racism is an instinct, we tend to fear people that appear different than us. either in culture or appearance. We have to learn to compensate for that.

    But your opinion of black people changed, my sexuality never did. Hi find it highly doubtful that it ever will
    Fine, take out the racism example and insert... um, a distaste for ... going to the basement in the dark. I choose to avoid the basement, i just don't know why. I could easily choose to go into the basement, but instead i stay upstairs. I can't identify any particular reason. Then I discovered that the reason I make that choice is bec I was very young and in the basement with my grandpa when he died there.

    I'm trying to make the point that we can make choices, but the influences for them are unknown to us.

  5. #745
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,045

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Fine, take out the racism example and insert... um, a distaste for ... going to the basement in the dark. I choose to avoid the basement, i just don't know why. I could easily choose to go into the basement, but instead i stay upstairs. I can't identify any particular reason. Then I discovered that the reason I make that choice is bec I was very young and in the basement with my grandpa when he died there.

    I'm trying to make the point that we can make choices, but the influences for them are unknown to us.
    That should be 'not always known at the time'.

  6. #746
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,206

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Fine, take out the racism example and insert... um, a distaste for ... going to the basement in the dark. I choose to avoid the basement, i just don't know why. I could easily choose to go into the basement, but instead i stay upstairs. I can't identify any particular reason. Then I discovered that the reason I make that choice is bec I was very young and in the basement with my grandpa when he died there.

    I'm trying to make the point that we can make choices, but the influences for them are unknown to us.
    You are doing a very poor job of making that point because you know why you didn't like black people or the basement. Fears are simple to understand, fear sevres a purpose.

    Sexual orientation isn't a preference that is why you are having difficulty explaining. Nothing In or psyche compares to it.

  7. #747
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Again I am only asserting that SOME people have a choice not everyone. And who are you to deny someone else their choice?

    Here is the problem that you are ignoring: Tom feels that he has no choice that he was born straight. But Tom in the last few years started feeling that he really isnt straight. According to the born only assertion for sexual orientation Tom has been restricted by your argument to feel as if he cant decide now whether he is different than he used to be. This may lead Tom to feel shameful about his feelings and by how the same sex makes him feel.


    You mentioned a mechanism, so why dont you show me the mechanism that would make it impossible to decide to be gay or not. What stops a person who has been gay or straight to all the sudden or even over time that they are now opposite.


    I am straight Im not bi or want to be gay, but I see no reason why I couldnt change my mind. Do you say that it is impossible for me to change my mind? Why would it be impossible?

    You cant know how every human being thinks, you cant with any certainty claim an absolute knowledge that someone cant one day just decide that they are gay or not gay. And all the studies in the world could not deny the possibility that people change their sexual orientation.

    For you to argue against my premise that sexuality can be a choice for some people would mean that science knows everything about the human mind. We know a lot but sexuality isnt a subject that we know everything there is to know about it. Since I know more than one person that claims that they can make a choice (myself included) about their sexuality gives me the opinion that your claim isnt substantiated. Until we learn something definite on the matter my opinion is as good as yours.
    That's nonsense. If Tom is now feeling he's not straight, it's likely he never was. Think of a spectrum.

    As I have said, choice lies in the ability to do both. Only those who can realistically consider both have choice.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #748
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    To be fair, though the Bible does state homosexuality is a sin, it never stated that homosexuality was a choice. That is propaganda pushed by the Evangelical Right.
    Correct. And sometimes it is.

  9. #749
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Ah. ok. But if I had been living as a heterosexual up until I changed, then because they cling to their beliefs, they will not count it so easily as a true change. They will say I was in the closet or a bisexual all along. Someone already said that to me in this thread, page 10-11. -Rather than entertain the idea that orientation is changeable.
    Mkst human behavior falls into a "spectrum". In this case, most people are strongly hetero, some are strongly homo, and everybody else falls somewhere in between. Being able to easily go one way or the other would put one in the "middle" of the spectrum, making them "bi" or ambisexual.

    I think the "middle" group is where most "psycho-social" gays come from. Various developmental factors tipping them one way or the other.

    I don't think a "1" homosexual could be hetero or a "10" hetero could be homosexual.

    I still don't think its a conscious "choice" even for the "middles", although I've met gays who appear to be gay as a "fallback". That just gave up on being hetero for one reason or another.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #750
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Weather you are attracted to the same sex is not a choice Its something determined bye home life and genes like sexuality in general.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •