View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 74 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #731
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,062

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    To be fair, though the Bible does state homosexuality is a sin, it never stated that homosexuality was a choice. That is propaganda pushed by the Evangelical Right.
    AH I see why people are all worked up. I stepped into the middle of a existing dispute between extremists that have no rational opinions. They think its either this way or that way nothing in between. How very stereotypical of extremists to ignore the middle ground as if it doesnt exist..

  2. #732
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    squid you really need to speak for your self. I opened up that new idea, i dated a woman for three damn years, i tried to make it work. I have seen for myself that the truth was there all along. I identified for 8 years as a bisexual man, I tried to be, I didn't just talk, I walked the walk. The new idea was that I was gay, not bisexual. So don't tell me about fear, don't tell me that I am not open to that idea, you think you are the first person to ever come up with it.

    My entire world was turned upside down my psyche was hammered with depression euphoria exasperation and then finally profound bewilderment. All my dreams died, everything in my life was chaos. Then I let go of it, instantly i felt peace met the love of my life and simply adjusted to the fact that I did not know myself before now I do, I dreamt dreams better than the old ones found my passion discovered my nature and realized how little I know.

    If you just went through that Epiphany I am glad for you. But i don't simply talk about it. My construct was actually challenged. My identity was turned inside out and stood on it's head.

    Your crap is a regression for me. Going backward is fatal. I discovered my true self on the brink of the abyss. I was there at the end moments from a miserable death I abandoned my notions of reality, I let go of everything, my opinions my likes and dislikes my reality. I had to it was killing me i was mere seconds away from a self inflected death.

    Blinding emotional pain has a tendency to rewrite reality. So save your breath I came to a different conclusion, that's all. Your way is dead wrong I said it a thousand times if i said it once it nearly cost me everything. But if that works for you than go on. Don't sit here and attempt to tell me how outis not when i lived it.
    I won't argue with your experience. I may argue with your conclusions. "But I lived it" you say. That doesn't mean you completely understand it. That doesn't mean your current understanding of those very real events will not change.

    At one time, you understood yourself to be bisexual. You lived it. At that time, you may have strongly disagreed with me if i suggested that you are not bisexual, you are really gay. You might say, "Squid, don't tell me I'm gay like you know me better than I know myself. I have identified as a bisexual for near 8 years now. I have lived it. Stop being absurd."

    Flash forward to today. You are now arguing the opposite. Do you see how perceptions change? Do you see that our experiences and our constructed identity change? Who is to say that in another few years, you won't go through another change? Even if you die at age 100 having been gay from now until then, who's to say that at age 101 you would not have experienced another change?

  3. #733
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    AH I see why people are all worked up. I stepped into the middle of a existing dispute between extremists that have no rational opinions. They think its either this way or that way nothing in between. How very stereotypical of extremists to ignore the middle ground as if it doesnt exist..
    Not really sure what you are saying here. Could you clarify?
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  4. #734
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Yes and no.
    The proclivities one may have for sexual attraction towards the same or opposite gender can not be chosen ... but one can choose to ignore or embrace those proclivities.
    If you can ignore those proclivities, do they really exist? do they really have a function? How do you know they exist if they can be ignored? Do you mean that a person can "feel" the proclivity, and then choose to ignore or obey it?

  5. #735
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,062

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Not really sure what you are saying here. Could you clarify?
    You mentioned the position of the religious right as claiming an absolute choice in homosexuality. Which is a extremist view of homosexuality. So then the other extremist view would be that there cant be any choice in being homosexual. So if I claim that there is a choice for some people then I am automatically held to the Evangelical Rights argument and position. Next thing people are calling me a religious nut and so on. It wont matter that I am a atheist and that I am not a right winger. The blind will see what they want no matter what I say.

    Hence why I said I stepped into the middle of a existing dispute.

  6. #736
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    You mentioned the position of the religious right as claiming an absolute choice in homosexuality. Which is a extremist view of homosexuality. So then the other extremist view would be that there cant be any choice in being homosexual. So if I claim that there is a choice for some people then I am automatically held to the Evangelical Rights argument and position. Next thing people are calling me a religious nut and so on. It wont matter that I am a atheist and that I am not a right winger. The blind will see what they want no matter what I say.

    Hence why I said I stepped into the middle of a existing dispute.
    I agree, both extremes are wrong. As I mentioned several pages ago, I know some gays who did not choose their sexuality and some who did. However, I do say 'choose to be gay' cautiously, as environment and history have had tremendous impact on those choices.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  7. #737
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I think you are denying the possibility that the identity you have constructed for yourself, -not just your orientation, now, but rather your entire identity- is partly influenced by factors beyond your conscious awareness.
    I think the only reason you posted this is due to your lack of communication skills.

    If things are beyond your conscious awareness then you don't have a choice in it for the love of Jesus. yet you insist that you do. Your own statements are contradicting themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I think i have jumped tracks of thought without you.
    I think you jumped the tracks with your self.
    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    When I said, "we have preferences", I wasn't referring to sexual orientation preferences. I was speaking more broadly, regarding all the preferences we have. -The preferences that make us contemplate a new idea for a few moments, or dismiss it immediately, for example.
    this thread is about sexuality.

    Call the Nobel committee you have discovered we have preferences!
    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    To dismiss or contemplate the idea is a choice. But that choice is influenced by our preferences, perhaps without our knowledge.
    For example, (and in this example i will use a situation that is relevant to the specific discussion on orientation) "We are all bisexual, he says. But I am not going to contemplate that idea (<--- there is the choice) because I know that I am not bisexual (<--- there is the identity you have constructed for yourself because you are comfortable with it, you have turned it around in your mind, it makes sense, it even seems logical. It is your "preference.")
    it is my instinct, not my preference. I contemplated that question for 27 years thank you. You are simply upset because I didn't come to the same conclusion you did. Because I walked the line, I did something instead of talk about it. you apparently crippled by fear to discover this for yourself. I wasn't, I came up with this cockamamie theory two decades before you did I put out through the rigors of not just academia but practice.

    If you ever grow the balls to go out and act on the same sex attraction you have then come talk to me about thus school house theory you plagiarized.
    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    That preference influences your choice to be open to my idea. I believe that this phenomena happens in all of us. And I believe that the scarier, or more threatening that a new idea is, the more adamantly people will oppose it if it is against the identity they have constructed for themselves.
    the preference influences your choice? Didn't you say you're choice influences your preference earlier. These words are synonyms you choose things because you prefer them. What makes you prefer something?

    You idea is old, not new. Sorry Sigmund Freud beat you to that one, then Kinsey hashed with it. You butchered out and created a false absolute.

  8. #738
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Clearly someone issues with their 'lifestyle choices'

  9. #739
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I think the only reason you posted this is due to your lack of communication skills.

    If things are beyond your conscious awareness then you don't have a choice in it for the love of Jesus.
    I disagree. I can choose something but the reason why I chose it can be beyond my awareness. For example, I thought I chose to start hating black people at age 21 when a black person robbed me. While I accepted that reason for many years, I later discovered, at age 31, that my racism was sown by a professor i had in college at age 20. When I think back to the things that professor said, and my reaction to those things, it is easy to see why i started hated black people after the robbery. Without that professor's influence, I might never have reacted to the robbery the way I did.

  10. #740
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I won't argue with your experience. I may argue with your conclusions. "But I lived it" you say. That doesn't mean you completely understand it. That doesn't mean your current understanding of those very real events will not change.
    I may not understand it, but i have a far better understanding than you in regards to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    At one time, you understood yourself to be bisexual. You lived it. At that time, you may have strongly disagreed with me if i suggested that you are not bisexual, you are really gay. You might say, "Squid, don't tell me I'm gay like you know me better than I know myself. I have identified as a bisexual for near 8 years now. I have lived it. Stop being absurd."
    it was a lie i told myself to ease my tortured mind. The lie was comfortable because out didn't require me to change my understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Flash forward to today. You are now arguing the opposite. Do you see how perceptions change? Do you see that our experiences and our constructed identity change? Who is to say that in another few years, you won't go through another change? Even if you die at age 100 having been gay from now until then, who's to say that at age 101 you would not have experienced another change?
    It has never changed, my level of denial has been the only thing to change. As far back as I can remember having a thing for boys i was 12. Thus was prepubecent for me, that change started in my mid teens. I never really felt sexual or even romantic attraction to women/girls. I pretended i did because I WANTED to. I wanted babies and a beautiful wife.

    My sexual attraction was always toward male, never female. I forced myself to look at pictures of naked women, i would attempt to imagine women mentally to get off. It never worked.

    Even having sex with a woman I never climaxed by that alone, out didn't work i stopped and had to get my mind off of what I was doing to climax.

    My sexuality never changed, I lied about it to others but mostly to myself.but it has been constant.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •