View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 59 of 132 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #581
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,515

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdTerm View Post
    In their paper, "Homosexuality as a Consequence of Epigenetically Canalized Sexual Development", Rice et al. hypothesize that heritable epigenetic markers play a role leading to homosexuality (Rice et al., 2012). They build off of the prenatal androgen paradigm, which attributes sexual development to fetal testosterone concentrations, and add the ammendment that specific epi-marks affect fetal testosterone sensitivity (Figure 1). Usually, these epi-marks are not heritable. However, occasionally they do get passed down to the next generation. The Rice et al. model predicts that testosterone sensitizing epi-marks originate from the father, while testosterone desensitizing epi-marks originate from the mother. With increased testosterone sensitivity, an XX fetus goes through masculinization (the degree depending on multiple epi-marks and other factors). Similarly, with decreased testosterone sensitivity, an XY fetus goes through feminization to some extent. Depending on the degree of feminization of masculinization, homosexuality can theoretically result (Figure 2).


    Figure 1. The Sexual Dimorphism Signaling Pathway


    Figure 2. SA-Epi-Marks and Homosexuality
    Yes .. making homosexuality a birth defect .. and, without question, not a choice.

    However, in the not too distant future, just like scientists discovered a supplement remedy for the woman to take to greatly prevent the epigenetically inculcated birth defect of spina bifida, so too will they soon find a supplement for the woman to take to prevent this epigenetically inculcated birth defect.

    Regardless, clearly, homosexuality is simply not a choice.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  2. #582
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Ooooookay. Given that you are resorting to personal attacks at this point, I'm going to call that a win on my part. You clearly WANT to believe that homosexuality is a mental health problem. Good luck with that.
    Claiming evidence is a personal attack now, please try to remain in your adult mind when posting to me.

  3. #583
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    You certainly could choose a wife without having sex with her. And many people have married without having sex before marriage. Its just your subjective opinion that you cant.

    Most people how can choose their sexuality probably did so as virgins. ANd those that cant choose their sexuality had no need to kick the tires.

    Its all very subjective.
    I would have certainly made sure there was a connection. We'd have kissed and necked a bit. You actually skipping the point. Try to grasp the concept.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #584
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I don't dismiss it. I recognize it as inconclusive. You don't expect me to accept inconclusive research do you? Do you accept it, CriticalThought? The studies themselves say that they are merely suggestive.
    I am looking for you to post any non anecdotal evidence to support your conclusion. Incomplete evidence is better than none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  5. #585
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Revolutionary isn't it? sorry i'm tired. I'm saying we are all the same as far as we are all bisexual. On top of that lowest common denominator, the choice to live as a bisexual, homo or hetero are the minor differences among us. Those little lifestyle choices, different as they may be, do not trump our common ability to make different choices. If you call me crazy I won't argue. I believe my ideas are possible though.
    Unfounded. Some people, most people in fact, do not get aroused by the same sex. You are calling the vast majority of society a bunch of liars.





    yes. we all rationalize. that goes back to turning ideas around in our heads until we find the side we are comfortable with. we are all biased. If we disagree, then it is clear that we must be biased.
    You look for comfort I look for empirical truth.

    I don't hav any evidence that homosexuality can be changed.
    Thank you. I have evidence it cannot be charged and it is harmful and wrong to try.

    I think the existence of bisexuals supports my idea though. I think prison behavior and navy ship behavior and monastery behavior and boy-scout camp behavior support my idea that attractions can change. If coffee can be an acquired taste, why not gay sex? nah. that's crazy. In a small town, fat chics with pretty faces are all 10's. Beauty and sexual desire are in the eye of the beholder. There are deep-seated(seeded?) reasons why we are scared to contemplate the possibility of having choice in the matter.
    I work at a prison. It is not a natural setting for humans. The need for contact is greater than even the need for sex and people will get that contact any way they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  6. #586
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I would have certainly made sure there was a connection. We'd have kissed and necked a bit. You actually skipping the point. Try to grasp the concept.
    What is this concept that you want me to grasp here? So far I think that you are claiming that you cant make a decision sexually without trying out everything first. Which cant really be what you are saying. So since you believe that I skipped the point please make the point clear.

  7. #587
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I hear what you are saying. What are the ... the... mechanisms, if you will, that allow a gay man to have sex and achieve orgasm with a woman before coming out? In other words, how does he get to orgasm without being attracted to the woman? Is it simply a matter of enjoying the friction? That would require him to ignore the thoughts that say "yuck, a woman!" and focus more intently on the physical feedback. This requires that a choice be made. He chooses to suppress his ... distaste, disgust, whatever term.. and focus on the friction, perhaps to ficus on the mental picture of a man. That takes mental power. It starts with a choice.

    I sympathize with homosexuals who committed suicide. I disagree that they cannot choose to be straight. If one can Choose to end their life, against all instincts to survive, and preferences to survive, surely one can choose to be gay or straight, which doesn't have (seemingly) as dire consequences as suicide. Of course, I understand that perceptions can be distorted in someone who takes their own life.
    Yes, he enjoys the feeling, even though it is a woman. And he may even fantasize about men while with the woman. People masturbate, even without any visual porn, but that doesn't mean they are attracted to themselves.

    How on earth does focusing on a mental picture of a man while having sex with the woman mean the man is straight? You are only further proving the reality that homosexuality is not a choice. Why to homosexuals commit suicide then? Why don't they just choose to be straight? Here is a challenge for you: choose to be gay. Try really hard. You seem so sure its a choice--make it yourself. Then, once you have proven it, choose to be straight again. No long term problems. It would be incredibly easy to prove it were all a choice if you could do that...but you can't.

    Sexuality is not a choice. Period.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  8. #588
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    What is this concept that you want me to grasp here? So far I think that you are claiming that you cant make a decision sexually without trying out everything first. Which cant really be what you are saying. So since you believe that I skipped the point please make the point clear.
    You must be able to realistically consider sex with both sexes as a possibility. Kissing someone of the same sex must be seen as enjoyable, just as enjoyable as with the opposite sex. Just as we pet and neck with one sex growing up, to be a choice, we must do the same with the other. Otherwise, the choice is not a choice. Something else is dictating what we do.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #589
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Homosexuality: The Mental Illness That Went Away

    According to the American Psychiatric Association, until 1974 homosexuality was a mental illness. Freud had alluded to homosexuality numerous times in his writings, and had concluded that paranoia and homosexuality were inseparable. Other psychiatrists wrote copiously on the subject, and homosexuality was “treated” on a wide basis. There was little or no suggestion within the psychiatric community that homosexuality might be conceptualized as anything other than a mental illness that needed to be treated. And, of course, homosexuality was listed as a mental illness in DSM-II.

    http://www.behaviorismandmentalhealt...hat-went-away/
    And like all science that turns out to be wrong, that is no longer the accepted belief. Giving an outdated definition of homosexuality does not prove you right. Just like giving an outdated study saying blacks are inherently stupider than whites wouldn't debunk current science that says that is BS.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  10. #590
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    And like all science that turns out to be wrong, that is no longer the accepted belief. Giving an outdated definition of homosexuality does not prove you right. Just like giving an outdated study saying blacks are inherently stupider than whites wouldn't debunk current science that says that is BS.
    Lack of reading comprehension? try re-reading, your retort makes absolutely no sense

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •