View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 53 of 132 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #521
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Actually, I did. I'm walking anecdotal evidence. I also pointed out a good study. You are the one who has failed to provide any evidence.

    Nothing can really be proven about homosexuality in the empirical sense because it would require that people be made into homosexuals or heterosexuals in a laboratory setting where all variables could be controlled and causation could be established. That would not be ethical.
    I used actual evidence not opinions from Wikipedia. You should change your name here as it is not applicable

  2. #522
    Advisor polisciguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    10-30-17 @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    This isn't about whether one is for or against gay marriage.....

    Simply vote and discuss whether you believe that homosexuals have a choice in the matter, or were simply born that way, with no choice whatsoever.

    Please be courteous - thanks in advance.
    I have only thought about the issue briefly, because I always considered it irrelevant to the debate. However, based on my rudimentary understanding of psychology, it would seem to be that homosexuality is, in most cases, not a choice. It is an old argument, but if sexuality is a choice, I certainly do not recall making the decision to be straight. I also recognize the difficulty gay people have when they struggle with their sexuality mentally. To me, it is definitely "they way they are" insofar as that is a description of anything.

  3. #523
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I used actual evidence not opinions from Wikipedia. You should change your name here as it is not applicable
    Ooooookay. Given that you are resorting to personal attacks at this point, I'm going to call that a win on my part. You clearly WANT to believe that homosexuality is a mental health problem. Good luck with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #524
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I agree. desire and attraction can be separated from a preset of conditions that result in orgasm. so if they can be separated, what conditions remain? -that is what i was asking. my answer is that it takes concentration. starting with a choice. We are not slaves to attraction. we can turn it on and off.
    What takes concentration? I'm sorry but I can't make sense of this particular thread of thought. To choose to engage in an act, in this case homosexual sex or heterosexual sex, has nothing to do with one's attraction. So choosing to engage in a homosexual act does not change a heterosexual into a homosexual. I'm not getting this whole suppression concept.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    What I am saying is that men who have staked their livelihoods and reputations on the claim that homosexuality is changeable, have, after years of trying to do just that with many people, come forward and humbly apologized. Of all the groups that claim such change efforts are possible, NONE have come forward with empirical evidence to support their claims. In fact, the most commonly cited empirical studies of the so called "gay cure" have been recanted.
    If you think about it, if there are indeed people who choose to change their orientation then they really aren't going to feel bad about it and thus would have no need or desire to seek any kind of help. If at any point that feel that what they are doing is wrong, then they will decide to change back. They would not be in a position of seeking help thus they would not be in any kind of study of whether or not these therapies help or harm.

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    While I can see what you mean, it wasn't her choice to get sexually assaulted, therefore I don't consider it a choice to change orientation. She suffered through something extremely traumatic. While I'm a guy, I can imagine if I was raped (as a woman) , it would be difficult to have sexual intercourse with a male again. While she might not have had that orientation before her assault, she still didn't just decide she wanted to switch, something traumatically forced her to change. So in a sense you are right because it is possible for people not to have pre-existing feelings that end up switching, but something traumatic like an assault isn't exactly a choice either. I see it as more of her mind and body going through self-preservation.

    Glad she is ok though
    So then I would have to say that there are 3 possibilities: pre-birth factors, post birth factor and choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I have to disagree with you. Well, let's be honest. I don't HAVE to, I choose to.

    If what you say about the effects of her trauma are true, then those effects must last forever. No rehabilitation is possible. Is that what you are saying? That the only thing that could "change" her back to her previous orientation would be another sexual assault...?

    I say no. the assualt did not force her to change. she chose to change. the assault was a factor in her decision. the effects of trauma do not last forever with proper treatment.
    I disagree. By that logic, soldiers with PTSD choose to have the issues they are having.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    It was voted off the list not proven by science
    By that logic it was also voted in and not proven by science.

  5. #525
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,480
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    This isn't about whether one is for or against gay marriage.....

    Simply vote and discuss whether you believe that homosexuals have a choice in the matter, or were simply born that way, with no choice whatsoever.

    Please be courteous - thanks in advance.
    Does anyone decide to be heterosexual?

  6. #526
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I do not doubt there are people who claim they were straight and claim they are now gay. I also do not doubt there are people who claim they were gay and they are now straight. What I doubt is how fixed they were in their orientation to begin with given that a small percentage of humans seem to have exceptionally high sexual flexibility. It has been proposed that the individuals who are most certain that change efforts are possible are people with a bisexual orientation who assume that everyone is like them and can choose which sex to focus their attention towards.
    I propose that the individuals who are most certain that change efforts are impossible are people who identify as straight or gay and assume that everyone is like them and can not choose which sex to focus their attention towards.

    shrugs.

    It hurts the argument when people who say orientation is fixed respond with... well, if you think you changed you must be a bisexual and you really didn't change at all. Now how can that phrase be thrown back at me with substituted words?

    If i think... that people can't change... then they are just in the gay or straight phase and haven't changed yet... Wait. that doesn't work. beats me.

  7. #527
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Does anyone decide to be heterosexual?
    I do. Everyday of my life so far. No intention to choose to be homosexual at this point. (And there are personal reasons for that) but who knows in the future?

  8. #528
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I propose that the individuals who are most certain that change efforts are impossible are people who identify as straight or gay and assume that everyone is like them and can not choose which sex to focus their attention towards.

    shrugs.

    It hurts the argument when people who say orientation is fixed respond with... well, if you think you changed you must be a bisexual and you really didn't change at all. Now how can that phrase be thrown back at me with substituted words?

    If i think... that people can't change... then they are just in the gay or straight phase and haven't changed yet... Wait. that doesn't work. beats me.
    I don't like assuming ALL people in a group are the same. That kind of assumption very rarely fans out, especially when dealing with a self identifying group.

    But let's look at the evidence.

    Homophobics May Be Hidden Homosexuals | Homophobia & Anti-Gay Sentiment | LiveScience
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  9. #529
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    I disagree. By that logic, soldiers with PTSD choose to have the issues they are having.
    Thank you for pointing that out. I'll clarify. The issues that soldiers have (emotional numbing, hypervigilance, thrill seeking) ARE the PTSD. You get me? PTSd manifest as those issues. They are one and the same.

    Sexual assault however, is not one and the same as changing one's orientation. -in my opinion.

  10. #530
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I do. Everyday of my life so far. No intention to choose to be homosexual at this point. (And there are personal reasons for that) but who knows in the future?
    Are you suggesting that you could look at a member of the same sex, become sexually aroused, and if you chose to do so, have a pleasurable sexual encounter with them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •