View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 49 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #481
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Correct. Now please offer studies that support the idea that homosexuality is a choice. I have plenty more examples for you in the post below this one.
    I don't believe that someone could like gay sex without being attracted to men. At the least, someone would find sex with men pleasurable and seek men out to achieve that pleasure. Is that not attraction? I don't have any studies that support the idea that homosexuality is a choice. I do have studies that say that the cause of orientation is not definitively known. I'm arguing what I believe, as I said before. If the APA ever says that homosexuality is not a choice, that will go a long way towards persuading me. I favor the APA because it presents an aggregate view, as opposed to a study here or a study there. Still, individual studies do indeed represent a small sliver of reality, provided they are valid and replicated.

    If homosexuality is not a choice, then no one has ever made the choice to be homosexual. -That's hard to prove, in my opinion.

    Here's what i have:
    American Psychological Association. (2008). Answers to your questions: For a better
    understanding of sexual orientation and homosexuality. Retrieved from
    http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/sorientation.pdf

    Frankowski, B. L. (2004). Sexual orientation and adolescents. Pediatrics, 113(6), 1827-1832.
    Retrieved from Sexual Orientation and Adolescents

    Johnson, R. D. (2003). Homosexuality: Nature or nurture. AllPsych Journal. Retrieved from
    Homosexuality: Nature or Nurture in AllPsych Journal

  2. #482
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Navy Pride liked this post. That was...unexpected.
    I think heterosexuality is a choice too.

  3. #483
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,201

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    I know through experience that it isn't a choice. I didn't want to be gay, I choose heterosexuality for years, it never really worked. You can choose to be a horse, it isn't going to make you into a horse. Yes you can choose to deny your nature and "be heterosexual", but it is an illusion.

  4. #484
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,201

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Go ahead. Go for it. You go right ahead and then let us know how that works out.
    Why don't you prove it is Choice and choose to be gay for a day. I don't even suggest you find a pretty man to have sex with, just get aroused at the idea of being with a man, watch homosexual porn and enjoy it both four entertainment and arousal.

    If you can't, proof you can't just choose to be gay.

  5. #485
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I don't believe that someone could like gay sex without being attracted to men. At the least, someone would find sex with men pleasurable and seek men out to achieve that pleasure. Is that not attraction? I don't have any studies that support the idea that homosexuality is a choice. I do have studies that say that the cause of orientation is not definitively known. I'm arguing what I believe, as I said before. If the APA ever says that homosexuality is not a choice, that will go a long way towards persuading me. I favor the APA because it presents an aggregate view, as opposed to a study here or a study there. Still, individual studies do indeed represent a small sliver of reality, provided they are valid and replicated.

    If homosexuality is not a choice, then no one has ever made the choice to be homosexual. -That's hard to prove, in my opinion.

    Here's what i have:
    American Psychological Association. (2008). Answers to your questions: For a better
    understanding of sexual orientation and homosexuality. Retrieved from
    http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/sorientation.pdf

    Frankowski, B. L. (2004). Sexual orientation and adolescents. Pediatrics, 113(6), 1827-1832.
    Retrieved from Sexual Orientation and Adolescents

    Johnson, R. D. (2003). Homosexuality: Nature or nurture. AllPsych Journal. Retrieved from
    Homosexuality: Nature or Nurture in AllPsych Journal
    Gay men have straight sex without being attracted to women. Many do before they come out as gay. The same is true for lesbians. Research is leaning in the direction that homosexuality is not a choice, and there is simply no logical reason to think otherwise--especially when homosexuals themselves explicitly tell people that their sexuality is not a choice, and especially when you have homosexuals committing suicide because they cannot choose to be straight.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  6. #486
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    If homosexuality is not a choice, then no one has ever made the choice to be homosexual. -That's hard to prove, in my opinion.
    It can't be. It isn't a testable hypothesis. Just switch one word in it, and see how absurd it is to even try. "If heterosexuality is not a choice, then no one has ever made the choice to be heterosexual."

    Furthermore, there is the possibility that some people do choose to be gay, probably because they are bisexual or are inclined enough to make the choice, but that does not mean ALL people who are gay choose to be gay or that ALL people who are gay could choose not to be gay. Those absolutes are unfounded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  7. #487
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Go ahead. Go for it. You go right ahead and then let us know how that works out.
    No need. I've known a straight man or two who has experimented and they came to the conclusion it was not their cup of tea.

    I've also known gay men who have gone as far as getting married and having kids, but that has never ended well.

    The percentage of gay men and women in a population does not change significantly no matter the acceptance level of a society. That should be indicative that it isn't something people can be easily converted towards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  8. #488
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Gay men have straight sex without being attracted to women. Many do before they come out as gay. The same is true for lesbians. Research is leaning in the direction that homosexuality is not a choice, and there is simply no logical reason to think otherwise--especially when homosexuals themselves explicitly tell people that their sexuality is not a choice, and especially when you have homosexuals committing suicide because they cannot choose to be straight.
    I hear what you are saying. What are the ... the... mechanisms, if you will, that allow a gay man to have sex and achieve orgasm with a woman before coming out? In other words, how does he get to orgasm without being attracted to the woman? Is it simply a matter of enjoying the friction? That would require him to ignore the thoughts that say "yuck, a woman!" and focus more intently on the physical feedback. This requires that a choice be made. He chooses to suppress his ... distaste, disgust, whatever term.. and focus on the friction, perhaps to ficus on the mental picture of a man. That takes mental power. It starts with a choice.

    I sympathize with homosexuals who committed suicide. I disagree that they cannot choose to be straight. If one can Choose to end their life, against all instincts to survive, and preferences to survive, surely one can choose to be gay or straight, which doesn't have (seemingly) as dire consequences as suicide. Of course, I understand that perceptions can be distorted in someone who takes their own life.

  9. #489
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It can't be. It isn't a testable hypothesis. Just switch one word in it, and see how absurd it is to even try. "If heterosexuality is not a choice, then no one has ever made the choice to be heterosexual."

    Furthermore, there is the possibility that some people do choose to be gay, probably because they are bisexual or are inclined enough to make the choice, but that does not mean ALL people who are gay choose to be gay or that ALL people who are gay could choose not to be gay. Those absolutes are unfounded.
    I agree. Wait, no I don't. I don't agree. -necessarily. If some people can choose their orientation and some people can not, what is the difference that exists between the two? A gene?
    Last edited by USNavySquid; 08-02-13 at 11:11 PM.

  10. #490
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I hear what you are saying. What are the ... the... mechanisms, if you will, that allow a gay man to have sex and achieve orgasm with a woman before coming out? In other words, how does he get to orgasm without being attracted to the woman? Is it simply a matter of enjoying the friction? That would require him to ignore the thoughts that say "yuck, a woman!" and focus more intently on the physical feedback. This requires that a choice be made. He chooses to suppress his ... distaste, disgust, whatever term.. and focus on the friction, perhaps to ficus on the mental picture of a man. That takes mental power. It starts with a choice.
    Contrary to popular belief, most gay men do not have a disgust for women. And what you think about during sex can be far more arousing than what you are doing while having sex.

    I sympathize with homosexuals who committed suicide.
    I would hope so.

    I disagree that they cannot choose to be straight.
    That puts you at odds with just about every major medical and mental health organization in the country...but okay. Even the Catholic Church does not make the argument that people can choose to not be gay. People argue you can choose not to act on it, but very few people still argue that gays can choose not to be attracted to members of the same sex. That view puts you in an extreme minority in this country.

    If one can Choose to end their life, against all instincts to survive, and preferences to survive, surely one can choose to be gay or straight, which doesn't have (seemingly) as dire consequences as suicide.
    Your reasoning is backwards. They CAN choose to end their life, against all instincts to survive, and preferences to survive and they do so in some cases entirely because they CAN"T choose not to be gay.

    Do you get that? It is is so hard for people to change their sexual orientation that it is EASIER for them to kill themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 49 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •