View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 47 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #461
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.)factually not true
    2.) so again you admit that sexuality in itself is NOT sin
    3.) no they are only fighting it if they want to and figting it in itself is not a sin

    so again nothing as changed, the fact is homosexuality in itself is not a sin just like heterosexuality is not a sin by itself
    The pursuit of the right to sin, is also a sin as you are going against God.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  2. #462
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    The pursuit of the right to sin, is also a sin as you are going against God.

    Then im a sinner
    again nothing as changed, the fact is homosexuality in itself is not a sin just like heterosexuality is not a sin by itself.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #463
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Then im a sinner
    again nothing as changed, the fact is homosexuality in itself is not a sin just like heterosexuality is not a sin by itself.
    We are all sinners.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  4. #464
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    We are all sinners.
    depends on who one worships and their morals and their beliefs and which ones you are using to judge
    but the fact remains homosexuality itself is not a sin
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #465
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    depends on who one worships and their morals and their beliefs and which ones you are using to judge
    but the fact remains homosexuality itself is not a sin
    If that's the way you believe, fine. But as I said before, this part of the discussion originated with my talking about my belief, so there is nothing further to discuss.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  6. #466
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    1.)If that's the way you believe, fine.
    2.) But as I said before, this part of the discussion originated with my talking about my belief,
    3.) so there is nothing further to discuss.
    1.) my beliefs play zero role in it, its the facts as proven even by your own posts
    2.) the beliefs you claim to follow agree with the facts i posted
    3.) I agree that is your best move because you are factually wrong and that wont change
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #467
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I just checked, and Merriam-Webster haven't change their definition of homosexuality:

    Definition of HOMOSEXUALITY
    1: the quality or state of being homosexual
    2: erotic activity with another of the same sex

    So clearly the debate you and they are having hasn't been settled yet--at least in your mind.

    As for your evidence, it may be indicative in some people that supports that being gay is innate. I never said that for some people it wasn't. But since this is science, I like to see the word "PROVEN" for something to be certain. If they have all these tests, have they been able to identify homosexuals among a group of people who have not identified themselves as homosexual? I have found articles that indicate that there are a group of gays that don't want to admit the possibility that there are some for which there is a choice because they don't want to give ammunition to the other side. I have no such agenda. Bringing up gay conversion is irrelevant since that is typically someone other than the person pursing a change.

    One who has caught a lot of such flack is the actress Cynthia Nixon who says that after 20 years in a relationship with a man and two children, that recently she made the choice to be gay. Some bash her for not really being gay but bisexual instead. Perhaps you feel the same way, but if she says that she chose to be gay, it is none of my business, let her be gay. I don't need to study the issue because I don't have an agenda either way.

    Again, my only assertion is that there are a percentage of people who are innately gay and there is a percentage of people who choose to be gay and that the percentage of each is not 100%. You assert that the percentages are 100% and 0% respectively. No rounding, just the absolute percentage. Until you have some evidence that absolutely proves 100%, then I think my position is the more reasonable between the two of us.

    What is your agenda?
    I already responded to your equivocation argument, days ago, in post 265. Here it is again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Words can have more than one meaning. You are simply equivocating.

    Take the word mouse:

    Definition of MOUSE
    1. any of numerous small rodents (as of the genus Mus) with pointed snout, rather small ears, elongated body, and slender tail
    2. a timid person
    3. a dark-colored swelling caused by a blow; specifically : black eye
    4. plural also mous·es : a small mobile manual device that controls movement of the cursor and selection of functions on a computer display


    Say I am talking about a mouse as in a rodent. You then say I am wrong, because a mouse is not a rodent, it is a timid person. You then give me the above dictionary definition. Yes, a mouse is a timid person. But that is not what I am talking about. If I was talking about the rodent, and asked you to bring me a mouse, and you brought me a timid person, you would be wrong. Saying "well that's what mouse means" would be an obviously fallacious excuse.

    The same is true for homosexuality. Clearly I was referring to the definition of homosexuals as people attracted to the same sex. Whereas gay sex can be classified as "homosexual" that is not what is meant by the term in the context of this discussion, nor by virtually any homosexual who uses or identifies as that term.
    So please, understand that a definition with two meanings is not necessarily defining the same thing. You can quote the dictionary, but you need to know how to read it too.

    As for Cynthia Nixon, she is bisexual. Not because I say so, but because she says so.. In her own words: "While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship." So again, your argument crumbles.

    I understand your assertion. You just have given me nothing to suggest it is true. If you had some evidence that people chose to be gay, then your position would be reasonable. But the current situation is mountains of evidence suggesting sexual orientation is not a choice, and zero evidence that it is. Given that, I don't find your position reasonable at all. It seems to be grounded in an appeal to ignorance fallacy.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  8. #468
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,041

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Then I guess you just had zero point to make and were just nitpicking about unimportant facts. Whether they were born that way, or became that way, the end result is the same, nothing suggests they "decided" to be gay one day.
    You are mistaken since I didnt make such a claim. I just disputed your claim that there isnt a possibility of a person making a decision about their sexuality or lifestyle. I made zero claims about how many people or that every gay person can make a change in their sexuality. You can call it nit picking or unimportant facts but to some people the ability to choose is not unimportant. Personally I dont really care what consenting adults do and personally I support gay marriage. Because who am I to say what other adults want to do with their lives? But mostly because I have friends (and a brother in law) that are gay and cannot think of a reason why they shouldnt be able to get married.

    Sure for some it may not be a choice but on the other hand for some it is a choice. And there isnt anything stopping any heterosexual person from one day declaring that they are now going to be gay. Are you going to tell them that they cant? Same with gay people are you telling them that they cannot become not gay? If a individual feels that they cannot become something that they are not then that is their deal, and no one can change that. But if a person feels that they can change then that is also their deal and no one can change that either.

  9. #469
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    You are mistaken since I didnt make such a claim. I just disputed your claim that there isnt a possibility of a person making a decision about their sexuality or lifestyle. I made zero claims about how many people or that every gay person can make a change in their sexuality. You can call it nit picking or unimportant facts but to some people the ability to choose is not unimportant. Personally I dont really care what consenting adults do and personally I support gay marriage. Because who am I to say what other adults want to do with their lives? But mostly because I have friends (and a brother in law) that are gay and cannot think of a reason why they shouldnt be able to get married.

    Sure for some it may not be a choice but on the other hand for some it is a choice. And there isnt anything stopping any heterosexual person from one day declaring that they are now going to be gay. Are you going to tell them that they cant? Same with gay people are you telling them that they cannot become not gay? If a individual feels that they cannot become something that they are not then that is their deal, and no one can change that. But if a person feels that they can change then that is also their deal and no one can change that either.
    Yep, you got me. By arguing that homosexuality isn't a choice, I was wanting to use government goons to force them to stay gay. Way to crack the case wide open, chief.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  10. #470
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,375

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    I already responded to your equivocation argument, days ago, in post 265. Here it is again.


    So please, understand that a definition with two meanings is not necessarily defining the same thing. You can quote the dictionary, but you need to know how to read it too.

    As for Cynthia Nixon, she is bisexual. Not because I say so, but because she says so.. In her own words: "While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship." So again, your argument crumbles.

    I understand your assertion. You just have given me nothing to suggest it is true. If you had some evidence that people chose to be gay, then your position would be reasonable. But the current situation is mountains of evidence suggesting sexual orientation is not a choice, and zero evidence that it is. Given that, I don't find your position reasonable at all. It seems to be grounded in an appeal to ignorance fallacy.
    Your calling the definition an equivocation is a reach. By the definition, anyone who engages is homosexual acts is a homosexual is hardly an equivocation, unless of course, your views of homosexuality have a purity test. That is your agenda, is it not?

    I expressed my beliefs and explained my logic. You, however, state your beliefs as fact and cite studies which at best, provide directional indications. Nothing is proven in those studies, but it supports your point of view, so that is good enough for you. I don't mock your beliefs. I mock your raising your beliefs to the level of fact and then pointing out that I don't have evidence. I also make no appeal for others to accept my beliefs.

    The same is true for my belief that there exists life on other planets. There is some suggestion that there are millions of planets where the environmental conditions are similar to Earth. On that basis, I believe that there is life on at least 1 of those other planets. I'm sure you find my position on life on other plants to be unreasonable as well. That is fine too.

    I'll engage you no further.

Page 47 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •