View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 41 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #401
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    So what? Finding someone attractive is different than being attracted to them. And even if that is what she meant, then she may be lesbian or she may be bi, assuming she is being honest.
    I don't think there is a difference in this case. She found her attractive enough to hookup with her. That's not the same as being attracted? Again, you make assertions (i'm sounding like You now) that support your beliefs. Of course she couldn't have changed her attraction, she must be lesbian or bi.

  2. #402
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Sorry I've got my hands full here- cooking dinner, feeding the baby, making sure the 6 yr old is busy and carrying out my wife's instructions.

    I disagree that there is a difference b/w like and attraction. i think the processes that occur when I decide I like coffee or my mother-in-law are the same as those that occur when i decide I like gay sex.

    The first sentence is post 378 should be the answer to both of our assertions.

    Obviously you want evidence. This is your trump card. If I can't play a more powerful card, then you win. Right? I have already described how exposure over time can lead to attraction where initially none was present. --in terms of coffee, movies and fat girls. I think it also applies to sexual attraction. If there really and truly was absolutely, positively no stigma Ever! regarding homosexuality, then I think we'd all be close friends.
    Liking gay sex isn't attraction, so that point is irrelevant. You can like gay sex and be straight.

    Yes, I want evidence. The assertions you are making require more than just your opinion.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  3. #403
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Liking gay sex isn't attraction, so that point is irrelevant. You can like gay sex and be straight.

    Yes, I want evidence. The assertions you are making require more than just your opinion.
    But in the hypothetical, the co-ed said "I find her attractive." How was the co-ed supposed to know at that time that when the semester ended she'd be back to guys? As far as she knew at the time, lesbianism was the course of her life.

    You don't have evidence either ( I can't believe I have to resort to that statement. I apologize for being petty.) Like I said, the first sentence in 378 answers both our assertions. Or do you know something the APA does not?

  4. #404
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I don't think there is a difference in this case. She found her attractive enough to hookup with her. That's not the same as being attracted? Again, you make assertions (i'm sounding like You now) that support your beliefs. Of course she couldn't have changed her attraction, she must be lesbian or bi.
    I find certain women attractive, despite not being attracted to them. You can recognize that people are attractive without being attracted to them. Now what you are saying is that this girl is attracted to women. In that case she is lesbian or bi, in line with what I am saying. She could also have sex with other women and not be attracted to them. The point is she said she was attracted to them and we are assuming she is being honest.

    That doesn't prove she chose those attractions, she just chose to act on them.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  5. #405
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    I find certain women attractive, despite not being attracted to them. You can recognize that people are attractive without being attracted to them. Now what you are saying is that this girl is attracted to women. In that case she is lesbian or bi, in line with what I am saying. She could also have sex with other women and not be attracted to them. The point is she said she was attracted to them and we are assuming she is being honest.

    That doesn't prove she chose those attractions, she just chose to act on them.
    Well our disagreement is focused on whether we can choose our attractions. I say we can choose to pay attention to something, to think about it in a certain light (to think about having sex with it and spending the rest of our lives with it fulfilled, for example) and that those thoughts increase attraction from 0 to whatever.

    In the previous semester, Mary sat right next to our honest co-ed and no spark occurred. Of course, I'm adding to (altering perhaps you would say) the hypothetical but that shouldn't matter b/c the addition to it that i'm making doesn't make it less likely to occur in real life. in my opinion.

  6. #406
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Liking gay sex isn't attraction, so that point is irrelevant. You can like gay sex and be straight.

    Yes, I want evidence. The assertions you are making require more than just your opinion.
    If you like gay sex, you must be attracted to it.

  7. #407
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Ill pass on that amazing though that you would even be willing to search that **** out
    not to long ago homosexuality was just as taboo and socially shunned

  8. #408
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    As the years go on the people who answer "Yes" to this question will continue to dwindle. I'm not overly concerned, the onslaught of time, knowledge, and new generations is rapidly eroding positions and opinions on this. By the end of the century it will be relegated to a religious fringe if at all.

  9. #409
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    As the years go on the people who answer "Yes" to this question will continue to dwindle. I'm not overly concerned, the onslaught of time, knowledge, and new generations is rapidly eroding positions and opinions on this. By the end of the century it will be relegated to a religious fringe if at all.
    The intelligent and honest answer would be "I don't know" since there is no hard evidence one way or another.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #410
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Also there plenty of behaviors for which there are no identifiable genetic markets at present, and there may not be such a direct gene or marker. This does not mean the behavior is not naturalistic in origin. The prevailing theory as I recall for the biological origins of homosexuality are multi-causal but revolve around the neurochemical balance of the brain and gene passed down matrilineally relating to female fecundity.

Page 41 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •