View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 38 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #371
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    There is a lot of insistence that homosexuality is not a choice. There is, however, no conclusive evidence that some have no choice but we DO have conclusive evidence that some DO engage in homosexuality by choice. That doesn't give us a firm answer on anything but the preponderance of the evidence points to choice and we know for certain that at least some of the time it is a choice.
    What evidence are you talking about?

  2. #372
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    What evidence are you talking about?
    People who said they did some exploring with same-sex or opposite-sex relationships in college (or whenever ).

  3. #373
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    People who said they did some exploring with same-sex or opposite-sex relationships in college (or whenever ).
    And the people that stayed gay?

  4. #374
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    My position accounts for some of the individuals that are homosexual, by no means all. I do understand the position of the majority of the Psychological Community and I disagree with that. I don't have any agenda that I am aware of, just studied the question because I was in College and it made a good choice for a Research Paper while at the same time providing answers to my own questions on the subject. All I can pass on is the core of what I researched. I will add a note. Any paper that states that gays are not genetic is not well received in the Educational environment.
    To be clear, are you either a psychiatrist or psychologist? Or are you saying that you took some psychology courses in college while pursuing a different degree?

    I'm not asking for "credentials" I am simply trying to determine if my question should be "why do you disagree with your peers?" or "what makes you think the majority of trained professionals in both fields are wrong?"

  5. #375
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    And the people that stayed gay?
    You could say that they are gay. You can also create a new category called "Gay with X number of heterosexual episodes." Or you can call them bi. Or create a new category : "Bi with majority of lifespan living as gay."

  6. #376
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    There is a lot of insistence that homosexuality is not a choice. There is, however, no conclusive evidence that some have no choice but we DO have conclusive evidence that some DO engage in homosexuality by choice. That doesn't give us a firm answer on anything but the preponderance of the evidence points to choice and we know for certain that at least some of the time it is a choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    What evidence are you talking about?
    Yeah, I'd like to know that too. I mean aside from gays forced to chose conformity due to social pressure (like keeping your job, church membership, and family ties), heterosexual experimentation in early pubescence, (both rational-choice behavior patterns)....and bisexuals who are merely acting on their innate orientation, what's your "preponderance of the evidence?"

    The vast majority of homosexuals do not engage in hetrosexual conduct. This despite all social pressures and threats of real harm to the contrary. That evinces a pretty clear "preponderance of evidence" against your position.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 06-30-13 at 05:15 PM.

  7. #377
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to know that too. I mean aside from gays forced to chose conformity due to social pressure (like keeping your job, church membership, and family ties), heterosexual experimentation in early pubescence, and bisexuals....all rational behavior patterns (except Bi's who are merely acting on their innate orientation) what's your "preponderance of the evidence?"

    The vast majority of homosexuals do not engage in hetrosexual conduct. This despite all social pressures and threats of real harm to the contrary. That evinces a pretty clear "preponderance of evidence" against your position.
    What evidence? How about people admitting they made a choice. Hell, bisexuality proves choice. Homosexuality in prisons proves choice. The proof that it CAN be a choice is overwhelming. The proof that it isn't a choice is nonexistent. It's just a theory. Use Occam's razor to figure out the explanation.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #378
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    You could say that they are gay. You can also create a new category called "Gay with X number of heterosexual episodes." Or you can call them bi. Or create a new category : "Bi with majority of lifespan living as gay."
    There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation

    Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

  9. #379
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation

    Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality
    From APA, I know. The part you put in bold, while factual, is not proof that applies to all cases. I suspect that statement is based on testimonials.

    You didn't like the categories I suggested?

  10. #380
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    The examples are few: #1: Bisexuals. #2 Every time we changed a like to a dislike and vice versa. If future research discovers the differences among homo hetero and bi And proves a cause-effect relationship, and if it does so conclusively, I will accept it. Sheesh.
    1. That bisexuals exist does not mean any choice is involved. It is just another category of sexual orientation, and they could just as well not be able to choose to only be attracted to one sex.
    2. Attraction is not the same as a "like" or a "dislike." A like is something one prefers. An attraction is something that can potentially evoke such likes or dislikes.

    Please show me actual evidence that sexual attraction is a choice. Actual studies, actual research, anything other than your own assertions.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

Page 38 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •