View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 33 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #321
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,660

    Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    My guess is that these people are people who always had homosexual tendencies to some degree, but had previously chosen to ignore them.
    We have a couple that lives two houses down. One is divorced, the other found out one day that her husband was a neonazi supremacist. He wanted to take the kids and she ran like hell. Never divorced him, never remarried, they moved in together out of necessity over 20 years ago and it has become a couples relationship. I know of several other couples in the same situation. But the easier point to make would be with prisoners, and male prisoners especially.

    Without regard to right or wrong, the 'choice' component is undeniable.
    Last edited by VanceMack; 06-30-13 at 12:13 PM.

  2. #322
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    We have a couple that lives two houses down. One is divorced, the other found out one day that her husband was a neonazi supremacist. He wanted to take the kids and she ran like hell. Never divorced him, never remarried, they moved in together out of necessity over 20 years ago and it has become a couples relationship. I know of several other couples in the same situation. But the easier point to make would be with prisoners, and make prisoners especially.

    Without regard to right or wrong, the 'choice' component is undeniable.
    Yeah sure, I consider myself strongly straight, but I can "chose" to have a relationship with a male, including sex, but although I might accomodate myself with that situation over time if there are very good reasons to do so, I don't think it would ever be a fulfilled relationship, or that I ever would have a fulfilled sex life.

    I guess most homosexuals can do the same with a heterosexual partner, and many have done so an are still doing that, because of social pressure, fear, sense of responsibility towards their children and so on ... but I don't think anybody has the right to tell them they *have* to do that. They have a right on a fulfilled relationship and a fulfilled sex life too.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  3. #323
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    What I'm saying is that even if it's not genetic, it does not mean in the slightest that is has necessarily to be a choice.

    There are thousands of things about your character and preferences that are not genetic, yet you can't "chose" to change them.

    And ... are you seriously saying that homosexuality is always caused by homosexual molestation?

    You must be reading between the lines. No. I demonstrated an occurrence that is not commonly recognized as one cause. Are there others. Of course, it is not considered politically correct to discuss these issues because they move homosexuality back into the realm of Abnormal Psychology.

  4. #324
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,660

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Yeah sure, I consider myself strongly straight, but I can "chose" to have a relationship with a male, including sex, but although I might accomodate myself with that situation over time if there are very good reasons to do so, I don't think it would ever be a fulfilled relationship, or that I ever would have a fulfilled sex life.

    I guess most homosexuals can do the same with a heterosexual partner, and many have done so an are still doing that, because of social pressure, fear, sense of responsibility towards their children and so on ... but I don't think anybody has the right to tell them they *have* to do that. They have a right on a fulfilled relationship and a fulfilled sex life too.
    Absolutely agree.

  5. #325
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    You must be reading between the lines. No. I demonstrated an occurrence that is not commonly recognized as one cause. Are there others. Of course, it is not considered politically correct to discuss these issues because they move homosexuality back into the realm of Abnormal Psychology.
    I see no problem with debating these causes and doing research about them ... as long as the findings are not used as excuses by the opponents of gay rights to deny homosexuals their freedom and civil rights.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  6. #326
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    My guess is that these people are people who always had homosexual tendencies to some degree, but had previously chosen to ignore them.
    That's an excuse you are using to preserve your belief that it is not a choice. in my opinion.

  7. #327
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Yeah sure, I consider myself strongly straight, but I can "chose" to have a relationship with a male, including sex, but although I might accomodate myself with that situation over time if there are very good reasons to do so, I don't think it would ever be a fulfilled relationship, or that I ever would have a fulfilled sex life.

    I guess most homosexuals can do the same with a heterosexual partner, and many have done so an are still doing that, because of social pressure, fear, sense of responsibility towards their children and so on ... but I don't think anybody has the right to tell them they *have* to do that. They have a right on a fulfilled relationship and a fulfilled sex life too.
    I agree with this post from you, which contradicts, in my opinion, your other post that I just quoted and replied to.

    I ask, how do we define fulfillment and don't many couples, regardless of orientation, testify to a lack of fulfillment?

  8. #328
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Over the course of a life time, my likes and dislikes can change innumerable times. Every 5 to 10 or 20 years, I may even completely flip-flop about how I feel towards a certain thing (food, music, political issue, member of my family etc) because as life goes on, experiences influence perspectives. "I didn't like my @#$$% coworker until I heard her cursing at the boss, (or saving a kitty from a tree etc.) "I used to despise so-in-so until I realized what a hard life he has had. Now I see him in a completely different light. I'm spending more time with him and finding we have a lot in common."

    The above examples exclude sexual and romantic attraction. Do you agree that the above examples happen? If not, why not? If yes, can we take it as a baseline and move onward to the area of sexual/romantic attraction? --Using new examples that involve that kind of attraction?

    Do you agree that attraction grows stronger or weaker with increased familiarity/exposure to the person? If yes, then why can't attraction start at zero and grow stronger ( when a person first entertains the thought of taking the other to bed and then chooses to continue to entertain those thoughts?) The opposite example would be that the attraction starts at zero, then for whatever reason (perhaps it is suggested by a bystander, said in jest when drunk or whatever) the thiought of sex is entertained but the person chooses to push it away, thus making the attraction stay at zero.
    That attraction can change does not mean you can control it. A gay man may find himself attracted to a man, and then over time lose that attraction, just like any other relationship. But he will only ever be sexually attracted to other men. Even if everyone starts at 0, only men will be able to go above 0. Trust me, I know from experience. Many gays try to push their attractions away. It doesn't work.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  9. #329
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I agree with this post from you, which contradicts, in my opinion, your other post that I just quoted and replied to.

    I ask, how do we define fulfillment and don't many couples, regardless of orientation, testify to a lack of fulfillment?
    My argument is that it should be up to every individual to define for himself or herself what they consider fulfilled.

    I would, for example, not consider a relationship fulfilled, if I was required to have a kind of sex within that relationship which I do not enjoy at all, even consider disgusting. As it would be, if I was "forced" to be in a relationship with a male. Or as homosexuals have to, who "chose" to stay with a woman.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  10. #330
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,293
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    That's an excuse you are using to preserve your belief that it is not a choice. in my opinion.
    That is actually an informed opinion. There is no evidence that one can change their orientation by choosing to do so. I certainly could not choose to be gay. Could you?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 33 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •