View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 32 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #311
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    How can it be a choice??

    When gays go to straight camps to try and be ''cured''
    What are you trying to tell me?
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  2. #312
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,660

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    How can it be a choice??

    When gays go to straight camps to try and be ''cured''
    How can crime be a choice when criminals go to prison camps to try to be "cured"? BTW, how can one be bi-sexual if it is not a choice?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #313
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,303

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    If it's genetic or acquired is a totally different question than the question if it's a choice or not.

    I disagree. If it's genetic, it is not a matter of choice. As child molesters are frequently people who were molested as children and simultaneously with the programming of their personal computer, the human brain, it appears to mean that any activity, especially a homosexual molestation would have the same cause/effect relationship. That thought has been driven away by the political correctness of stating that homosexuality is not a psychological abnormality. Ergo, you're not supposed to say it or think it. I do both because it seems to me to be one of the answers.

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    What are you trying to tell me?
    Simply that it cannot be a choice if these camps exist..

  5. #315
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    How can crime be a choice when criminals go to prison camps to try to be "cured"? BTW, how can one be bi-sexual if it is not a choice?
    Listen...I am not gay or bi-sexual..it has never occurred to me to get it on with another female out of choice..simply because I am not attracted to them..

  6. #316
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I disagree. If it's genetic, it is not a matter of choice. As child molesters are frequently people who were molested as children and simultaneously with the programming of their personal computer, the human brain, it appears to mean that any activity, especially a homosexual molestation would have the same cause/effect relationship. That thought has been driven away by the political correctness of stating that homosexuality is not a psychological abnormality. Ergo, you're not supposed to say it or think it. I do both because it seems to me to be one of the answers.
    What I'm saying is that even if it's not genetic, it does not mean in the slightest that is has necessarily to be a choice.

    There are thousands of things about your character and preferences that are not genetic, yet you can't "chose" to change them.

    And ... are you seriously saying that homosexuality is always caused by homosexual molestation?
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  7. #317
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Simply that it cannot be a choice if these camps exist..
    Oh okay ... I agree it's usually not a choice.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  8. #318
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    I think in most cases, it's not a choice.

    So far, I see it this way: All of us have both homosexual and heterosexual tendencies to some extent, although in most cases, you have a clear preference for one gender. I don't think that people with a clear preference, no matter if homosexual or heterosexual, can "chose" to be sexually attracted by the other gender. But there are some in the middle who in obvious cases are bisexual, who then can "chose" to ignore one of their tendencies, of course.

    I have no idea if it's genetic or acquired, but I don't think that matters. Even if it's acquired, it does not mean you can "chose" to go into the different direction. There are many acquired traits you can't simply "chose" to change.
    I agree with most of what you say but the clear fact is that there ARE people that choose solely for the sake of companionship. It happens in prison. It happens with women that have given up on relationships with men. People that are naturally heterosexual turn to homosexuality for relatedness and manage the sexual attraction just fine.

  9. #319
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I agree with most of what you say but the clear fact is that there ARE people that choose solely for the sake of companionship. It happens in prison. It happens with women that have given up on relationships with men. People that are naturally heterosexual turn to homosexuality for relatedness and manage the sexual attraction just fine.
    My guess is that these people are people who always had homosexual tendencies to some degree, but had previously chosen to ignore them.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  10. #320
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,828

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    My guess is that these people are people who always had homosexual tendencies to some degree, but had previously chosen to ignore them.
    and some become those who attack the gays

    Denying One’s Desires Tied to Homophobia | Psych Central News
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Page 32 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •