View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 31 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #301
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Actually you have proven nothing. I mean really, apparently you think you have in your self-centered reality. But you haven't.
    you are right "i" didnt and didnt claim i did lol there you go making stuff up again, can you ever stop?

    YOU proved it, everything you posted proved the fact that homosexuality itslef is factually not a sin

    let me know when this fact changes and you are ready to admit you are wrong

    or simply supply us all with proof it is a sin, we will be waiting
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #302
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I disagree. We can pay attention to things we aren't attracted to. A boring lecture just before the exam for instance, the naked guy robbing the store (even hetero males can give an accurate description to the police). Bad examples maybe but I'm pressed for time. Attraction is not unchangeable. My standards of attraction change, willfully, depending on the quality of prospective mates in my environment. -Which, incidentally explains (partly, at least) homosexual behavior in prisons and on navy ships.

    There is no "force" that controls who/what I pay attention to. In my opinion, my ability to pay attention is only limited as indicated by the total number of who's and what's I can pay attention to at once. What do you say to the notion that.... Sexual orientation can't change and anyone who testifies that it can is a bisexual.... is an example of circular logic?
    That we can pay attention to things we aren't attracted to does not mean we can change are attractions. You are conflating attention and attraction. I am talking about attraction. No force controls who you pay attention to because attention is an action. You choose attention. Attraction is not a choice or an action.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  3. #303
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    That we can pay attention to things we aren't attracted to does not mean we can change are attractions. You are conflating attention and attraction. I am talking about attraction. No force controls who you pay attention to because attention is an action. You choose attention. Attraction is not a choice or an action.

    Over the course of a life time, my likes and dislikes can change innumerable times. Every 5 to 10 or 20 years, I may even completely flip-flop about how I feel towards a certain thing (food, music, political issue, member of my family etc) because as life goes on, experiences influence perspectives. "I didn't like my @#$$% coworker until I heard her cursing at the boss, (or saving a kitty from a tree etc.) "I used to despise so-in-so until I realized what a hard life he has had. Now I see him in a completely different light. I'm spending more time with him and finding we have a lot in common."

    The above examples exclude sexual and romantic attraction. Do you agree that the above examples happen? If not, why not? If yes, can we take it as a baseline and move onward to the area of sexual/romantic attraction? --Using new examples that involve that kind of attraction?

    Do you agree that attraction grows stronger or weaker with increased familiarity/exposure to the person? If yes, then why can't attraction start at zero and grow stronger ( when a person first entertains the thought of taking the other to bed and then chooses to continue to entertain those thoughts?) The opposite example would be that the attraction starts at zero, then for whatever reason (perhaps it is suggested by a bystander, said in jest when drunk or whatever) the thiought of sex is entertained but the person chooses to push it away, thus making the attraction stay at zero.

  4. #304
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,588

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    The question I would like to ask is: Does anybody who has a gay brother/sister/parent believe that it is a choice? I have a gay brother and everybody in my family knew he was gay before he was even old enough to date. It was so incredibly obvious that it was not a choice, so at this point I feel much more confused than angry when people claim one can simply "become" straight.

    Parents can be very determined to see their children be who they want them to be. A parent can refuse to believe that their gay son/daughter is gay just as they can refuse to believe that they don't want to go to college or don't want to play football and be the starting quarterback. But when you grow up really knowing a gay person and not wanting to control them, you can see that it's just they way they are and nobody did anything wrong that made them the way they are. It's just nature.

    On the other hand, I would say that it is possible that some people choose to have intimate relationships with people of the same sex, but that doesn't mean they're gay. I wanted to be gay when I was a teenager because I was so scared of girls, but I assure you that it didn't work. Not even close.
    A working class hero is something to be

  5. #305
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Of course they don't....

  6. #306
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Almost all of them were probably born that way. They aren't hurting anybody, so it doesn't matter.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  7. #307
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Nobody wakes up and decides to be gay.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  8. #308
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    There are no genetic markers for homosexuality. There has been considerable research with monozygotic (identical, same DNA) twin databases, and no correlation exists. Ergo, it may be a subliminal choice depending upon circumstances, or a blatant choice. The matter was considered a psychological abnormality at one time and I still think it is, although it goes against the "urban legend" of coordinated media sympathies. I am not a homophobe and don't care who's gay. I don't want gays " influencing " young minds because they will claim genetic without offering positive proof and will cause confusion in my child's developing thought processes. I'm for gay marriage contractually, just like any other legal contract.
    If it's genetic or acquired is a totally different question than the question if it's a choice or not.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    If it's genetic or acquired is a totally different question than the question if it's a choice or not.
    How can it be a choice??

    When gays go to straight camps to try and be ''cured''

  10. #310
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    This isn't about whether one is for or against gay marriage.....

    Simply vote and discuss whether you believe that homosexuals have a choice in the matter, or were simply born that way, with no choice whatsoever.

    Please be courteous - thanks in advance.
    I think in most cases, it's not a choice.

    So far, I see it this way: All of us have both homosexual and heterosexual tendencies to some extent, although in most cases, you have a clear preference for one gender. I don't think that people with a clear preference, no matter if homosexual or heterosexual, can "chose" to be sexually attracted by the other gender. But there are some in the middle who in obvious cases are bisexual, who then can "chose" to ignore one of their tendencies, of course.

    I have no idea if it's genetic or acquired, but I don't think that matters. Even if it's acquired, it does not mean you can "chose" to go into the different direction. There are many acquired traits you can't simply "chose" to change.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •