View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #21
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I didn't choose to be straight. What reason do I have to believe people choose to be gay?
    Perhaps everyone hasn't had the life you have experienced. Now Im not trying to advocate one way or they other. I just like to keep an open mind and not paint anything in black and white.

    An acquaintance of mine has struggled his entire life with his sexual identity. As a boy from a very early age he was molested by his father, a father that was physically and verbally abusive, a father that never showed any love, affection, or caring for him except when it was time to preform sexual favors. During these times his father showed attention, seemed to care, spoke positively, and was kind (Im sure to get what he wanted). He wanted his father to love and care about him just as any of us do. So he started to relate the molestations with love and almost looked forward to these moments as the rest of the time he was largely ignored or abused in other ways. Eventually these times of love (it seemed to him) began to arouse him possibly for abnormal mental reasons (desire for love and affection as he saw it) and he started to enjoy these molestations.

    Once he got older and realized the full extent of what was being done to him he was appalled by it. As you can imagine he had many physiological issues as a result. However one link remained, he saw love as a sexual joining of males. He tried for years to have relationships with women but always felt they could not fill the void that was filled by the sex during his childhood. He eventually proclaimed his homosexuality.

    Now does this mean he was not born gay? We have no way of knowing one way or the other but it seems plausible that the events if his life may have influenced his sexual outlook perhaps even to the point of complete reversal.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I would think that any heterosexual who believes homosexualty is a choice test out their theory by choosing homosexuality for a little while to see how well that works out for them.

    Should be an easy matter if there is anything to their opinion.
    Funny thing is that a lot of homosexuals have done just that, including a close relative. Seems to bear out that it is a choice.

  3. #23
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    I don't know if it is a choice or not. I do know it's not genetic according to scientific studies. So who knows where someone's taste in partners come from.

    I can say from anecdotal evidence that I have seen people male and female flip flop between being bi, gay and hetero. I have also noticed it more with females by far than males. So I think it might have something to do with men and women dealing with bad or abusive relationships differently among other things. Women (it would seem) appear to be more likely to try alternative sexual partners openly than a male. Again this is anecdotal, so who knows for certain?

    All I can say is equal protection under the law is too important. So I don't care if it's a choice or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    This isn't about whether one is for or against gay marriage.....

    Simply vote and discuss whether you believe that homosexuals have a choice in the matter, or were simply born that way, with no choice whatsoever.

    Please be courteous - thanks in advance.


    A singular cause for homosexuality has never been determined. Some researchers in the field believe that it may be a combination of factors, including pre-natal hormone issues, early environment/developmental, adolescent experiences... an inclination does not necessarily neutralize something as being a choice.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #25
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Perhaps everyone hasn't had the life you have experienced. Now Im not trying to advocate one way or they other. I just like to keep an open mind and not paint anything in black and white.

    An acquaintance of mine has struggled his entire life with his sexual identity. As a boy from a very early age he was molested by his father, a father that was physically and verbally abusive, a father that never showed any love, affection, or caring for him except when it was time to preform sexual favors. During these times his father showed attention, seemed to care, spoke positively, and was kind (Im sure to get what he wanted). He wanted his father to love and care about him just as any of us do. So he started to relate the molestations with love and almost looked forward to these moments as the rest of the time he was largely ignored or abused in other ways. Eventually these times of love (it seemed to him) began to arouse him possibly for abnormal mental reasons (desire for love and affection as he saw it) and he started to enjoy these molestations.

    Once he got older and realized the full extent of what was being done to him he was appalled by it. As you can imagine he had many physiological issues as a result. However one link remained, he saw love as a sexual joining of males. He tried for years to have relationships with women but always felt they could not fill the void that was filled by the sex during his childhood. He eventually proclaimed his homosexuality.

    Now does this mean he was not born gay? We have no way of knowing one way or the other but it seems plausible that the events if his life may have influenced his sexual outlook perhaps even to the point of complete reversal.
    I think for at least some homosexuals, it is a rejection of traditional roles and traditional lifestyles. I know for a fact that this was the impetus for a family member.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    I don't know if it is a choice or not. I do know it's not genetic according to scientific studies. So who knows where someone's taste in partners come from.

    I can say from anecdotal evidence that I have seen supposed people male and female flip flop between being bi, gay and hetero. I have also noticed it more with females by far than males. So I think it might have something to do with men and women dealing with bad or abusive relationships differently among other things. Women (it would seem) appear to be more likely to try alternative sexual partners openly than a male. Again this is anecdotal, so who knows for certain?

    All I can say is equal protection under the law is too important. So I don't care if it's a choice or not.
    The law doesn't have to accommodate all choices and, in fact, is designed to limit choices. You can't ride your motorcycle on a bike path even if you choose to ride motorcycles instead of bicycles. Sorry about your luck but the state doesn't want to accommodate your choice in this matter.

  7. #27
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Now does this mean he was not born gay? We have no way of knowing one way or the other but it seems plausible that the events if his life may have influenced his sexual outlook perhaps even to the point of complete reversal.
    Yet that's not a choice. It doesn't have to be genetic for it to not be a choice. There are many factors that can influence sexual orientation, genetics, in utero conditions, birth order, childhood experiences etc. But I don't believe there's ever been a case of someone just deciding their sexual orientation on a whim.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #28
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    What i always notice in these polls is that gay people will all say it's not a choice and then a subset of heteros who think they know better, undoubtedly because they are homophobes, will say it is. Do we learn anything new from that?

  9. #29
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The law doesn't have to accommodate all choices and, in fact, is designed to limit choices. You can't ride your motorcycle on a bike path even if you choose to ride motorcycles instead of bicycles. Sorry about your luck but the state doesn't want to accommodate your choice in this matter.
    I had no choice in being black. I had no choice in being born male. I did not pick the ethnicity of my parents. The law must recognize and take into account things that are not in our control. Who we are attracted to choice or not we have very little control over. Equal protection for all under the law is not the same as riding a motorcycle on the bike path. That kind of reasoning is what allowed Jim Crow laws etc to be allowed for too long in this country.

    Then to top it off you end with sorry about your luck? Wow, just wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Homosexual sex is. Homosexual orientation isn't necessarily a choice.

Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •