View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 29 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #281
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    I think physical attraction and emotional attraction are the same thing, but I could be convinced otherwise. I think they are the same because they both manifest as a result of chemical reactions in the body AKA physical responses. That's based on my layman's understanding of feelings and the hormones that correspond to them.

    Regarding your uncle, what we as bystanders say about him carries less weight than what he says about himself. I may observe that after 20 yrs with kids in a hetero relationship that he must be bisexual to change to homosexual relationships. But if he says, "No. I was homosexual all along." Then how can i argue with that? I wouldn't argue, of course. But I would love to ask him a bunch of questions: Did you love your wife? Deeply? How did you show it? Did she arouse you? How? Did you fantasize about her? Others? etc etc. This would be enlightening for the purpose of understanding more about love/attraction.

    I'm usually for the spectrum idea as related to other aspects of the human condition. I haven't applied it to sexuality. I tend to agree with what you say about familiarity not being enough to make people at the extremes attracted to others. But.... on a longer timeline perhaps familiarity would be prove to be enough.

    bisexuals.... naturally attracted to both genders, you say. For me, that attraction comes as a result of the staring-contemplating-lusting progression. During the contemplating phase, the bisexual suppressed or rewrote his/her social programming and opened up to the possibility of pleasure/love/both with an "other". Then tried it out. And again and again.

    If we are not attracted to someone, I think it is due to social programming and lack of familiarity. How do you explain acquired tastes? I didn't like coffee the first time i drank it. But I re-wrote that program, paid attention to coffee and now I like it. Now I crave it. That process of developing a like for something..... on a low level, is it much different from developing an attraction to a man or woman? Of course people may say, "you can't compare sexual orientation to coffee drinking." But the two have underlying processes that I think may have some steps in common. First I had to open myself up to the possibility of coffee.

    Your last sentence, i disagree with because it diminishes the truth of a single occurrence. To me, a conclusion is appropriate only when it accounts for all observed variations. --Not just the occurrences that agree or are the same. To eliminate the minor differences in the results from the final conclusion is to make a weak conclusion.
    I don't want to come across as rude and ask specifics about their sex life, but he did tell me that he loved her as a friend only. He married her because it was the only realistic path to having kids and career advancement at the time. This is not uncommon for gays in that age group. He got an opportunity to transfer his job to CA, their kids are now grown up, so he came out and moved to a place where he can start a real relationship. In hindsight, it was not surprising. They never showed much affection for each other, that i noticed. The point I was making was that, even if sexuality could be changed, the toll is too great. I think if he was bi they would just stay married.

    I don't recall any 'observed variations' that would make me rethink the label. I'm sure others have experienced those. Whether that means they are not fully hetero, I don't know. I'd rather just take their word for it. There are other characteristics that often come with sexuality, so it's unlikely be so simple as willing yourself to be hetero/homo. If your taste buds were also tied up in your gestures, voice, and musical talent, maybe you couldn't suddenly develop a preference for coffee.

  2. #282
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,563
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    Agree with your 1st paragraph.

    2nd paragraph.... you are saying that since we have gained control over various factors (medicine vs. disease, strong shelter vs. weather, farms vs. gathering) but the marker is still present, so homosexuals will increase without having the need to... as in the need to prevent conflict/population loss due to the various factors listed. So.... with homosexuals increasing, they still remain a small % of our overall population, but b/c that % represents a large number, we see them more frequently....? I can't say I agree with that. It seems to assume too much. We don't know how frequently ancient societies saw homosexuals. (or do we?) If it's genetic, then heterosexual parents are only carriers? Despite both heterosexual parents coming from well nourished, healthy, well-resourced neighborhoods, their spoiled rich kid is a homosexual? Am I taking it too literal again?
    Although you didn't quote me (so I just lucked into the reply because I happened to read it) I think I can assume this reply was meant for me.

    Again you are taking the reply too literally. In the earliest development of our species it's cognitive ability was not as pronounced as it is in the last 100,000 years or so. So for that period among alpha males it would be a matter of complete indifference if any beta or gamma male failed to compete for control of females. As for any female disinterest? An alpha male would be indifferent as long as she was ripe for the taking.

    During the initial period of the last 100,000 years, heterosexual males would not be upset by less competition for females, but probably annoyed by the interest of any fellow males who displayed this behavior towards them (excepting the possibility of experimentation during the intial period of puberty). This may very well be the foundation for so many of the religious admonitions against the practice. After all, religion served as the first determiner of laws and punishments by drawing upon the power of diety as cause for obedience.

    In any case in the last 5,000 years it WAS noticed. For example: in the incidence of legal same-sex unions in Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia (even codified into Hammurabi's Laws); in Ancient Greece we get the Theban Bands, and the tradition of pederasty; and in Rome men were free to enjoy sex with other males without a perceived loss of masculinity or social status, as long as they took the dominant or penetrative role. Acceptable male partners were slaves, prostitutes, and entertainers. There are more examples in other cultures but that is unnecessary to point out, since I think sufficient examples have been provided to show my response to your point about "notice."

    Religion again played a role in repressing the display of such activities in Western Civilization after Constantine made Christianity the State religion, but it only succeeded in driving it underground. Clearly history shows that despite repression, the activity persisted. Today, the population is so large and the activity so openly prevalent among this minority we have been compelled to deal with it.

    What think you?
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 06-29-13 at 07:55 AM.

  3. #283
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,686

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    The answer to the OP is yes, and no, and sometimes. Attraction is natural so in that sense, to most homosexuals the answer is no...it is NOT a choice. The desire for love and belonging is a natural drive as well. People will go to extraordinary lengths to find love and belonging and sometimes people will seek love and belonging wherever they can find it. So in that sense, yes, it is a choice.

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    its not a choice just like any other mental illness
    At one time about 30 years ago it was considered a mental illness and thanks to the homosexual lobby it was struck off the list with no scientific evidence to prove it is not as other abnormal sexual preferences remain on the list

    a study done by the university of Florida has determined that mercury poisoning has caused homosexual behavior in birds and mercury poisoning has been linked to cause mental illnesses
    Last edited by trfjr; 06-29-13 at 08:15 AM.

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The answer to the OP is yes, and no, and sometimes. Attraction is natural so in that sense, to most homosexuals the answer is no...it is NOT a choice. The desire for love and belonging is a natural drive as well. People will go to extraordinary lengths to find love and belonging and sometimes people will seek love and belonging wherever they can find it. So in that sense, yes, it is a choice.
    I don't think it is a choice..I mean no-one ''decides'' to be straight..you can't help who you are attracted to..

  6. #286
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,686

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I don't think it is a choice..I mean no-one ''decides'' to be straight..you can't help who you are attracted to..
    For many it is not. For many it is. Many people DO decide to 'be' straight...even people with a homosexual attraction. Are you trying to defend a cause or answer the question honestly?

  7. #287
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,686

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    its not a choice just like any other mental illness
    At one time about 30 years ago it was considered a mental illness and thanks to the homosexual lobby it was struck off the list with no scientific evidence to prove it is not as other abnormal sexual preferences remain on the list

    a study done by the university of Florida has determined that mercury poisoning has caused homosexual behavior in birds and mercury poisoning has been linked to cause mental illnesses
    Attraction is not a form of mental illness.

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Attraction is not a form of mental illness.
    then why is bestiality, pedophilia, necrophilia and other abnormal sexual preferences are all considered a mental illnesses?

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    For many it is not. For many it is. Many people DO decide to 'be' straight...even people with a homosexual attraction. Are you trying to defend a cause or answer the question honestly?
    I'm trying to be honest..you can put a gay guy in bed with the most beautiful woman in the world..and yet he will still not desire her..

    So it is not a choice!

  10. #290
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,686

    Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I'm trying to be honest..you can put a gay guy in bed with the most beautiful woman in the world..and yet he will still not desire her..

    So it is not a choice!
    That is simply not true. Or have you missed the NUMEROUS times people 'come out' as gay after years of marriage, with families.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •