View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 27 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #261
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I said 'I think' as in me, what I personally think it is, why should I prove what I think? Why don't you prove it's not biological since you are coming at me like I said it was.
    That is something that most people on this forum will never understand. Opinions do not have to be proven.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  2. #262
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    According to Merriam-Websiter, homosexuality is defined by action:

    Definition of HOMOSEXUALITY
    1 : the quality or state of being homosexual
    2 : erotic activity with another of the same sex

    So of all the homosexuals in the world, you believe that 100% of them are homosexual innately? You have not convinced me away from my assertion that the percent who are homosexual are that way by choice is greater than 0%. I do believe that for some, receiving love and affection from someone of ones same sex can influence someone's lifestyle in the same way that it can influence them when that someone if of the opposite sex.

    Perhaps that possibility makes you think that that somehow weakens the homosexual cause, I do not.
    I don't think it weakens the cause either. I just don't believe something that makes no sense whatsoever. Homosexuality is an attraction to the same sex. Attractions cannot be chosen.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  3. #263
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    I don't think it weakens the cause either. I just don't believe something that makes no sense whatsoever. Homosexuality is an attraction to the same sex. Attractions cannot be chosen.
    Then fight it out with Merriam-Webster.

  4. #264
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,817

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    But I'm not wrong. You don't understand the principles.

    you are 100% factually wrong and thats already been proven

    like i have asked you many times already if you disagree simply factually prove it using "your" religion

    everytime you tried and posted something you completely failed and it proved me right

    maybe in your next post youll have some facts or something that supports you, if you are right why dont you simply just post this evidence, i cant wait to read it
    Last edited by AGENT J; 06-28-13 at 08:14 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #265
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Then fight it out with Merriam-Webster.
    Words can have more than one meaning. You are simply equivocating.

    Take the word mouse:
    Definition of MOUSE

    1. any of numerous small rodents (as of the genus Mus) with pointed snout, rather small ears, elongated body, and slender tail
    2. a timid person
    3. a dark-colored swelling caused by a blow; specifically : black eye
    4. plural also mous∑es : a small mobile manual device that controls movement of the cursor and selection of functions on a computer display
    Say I am talking about a mouse as in a rodent. You then say I am wrong, because a mouse is not a rodent, it is a timid person. You then give me the above dictionary definition. Yes, a mouse is a timid person. But that is not what I am talking about. If I was talking about the rodent, and asked you to bring me a mouse, and you brought me a timid person, you would be wrong. Saying "well that's what mouse means" would be an obviously fallacious excuse.

    The same is true for homosexuality. Clearly I was referring to the definition of homosexuals as people attracted to the same sex. Whereas gay sex can be classified as "homosexual" that is not what is meant by the term in the context of this discussion, nor by virtually any homosexual who uses or identifies as that term.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  6. #266
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by JackFrost View Post
    Point is, some gays have flipped over to the other side. A straight man can't do that.
    This is quite possibly the most ignorant thing I've ever read. Maybe you should open another exodus international.

  7. #267
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    No, attention is a by-product of attraction. I am gay and a gave a girl attention for 3 years who I dated and I was never attracted to her. In fact, I was always attracted to the guys I tried not to pay attention to. The reason I tried not to pay attention to them was because I didn't want to be attracted to them.

    No. Attraction is unchangeable. Don't delude yourself.
    I disagree. We can pay attention to things we aren't attracted to. A boring lecture just before the exam for instance, the naked guy robbing the store (even hetero males can give an accurate description to the police). Bad examples maybe but I'm pressed for time. Attraction is not unchangeable. My standards of attraction change, willfully, depending on the quality of prospective mates in my environment. -Which, incidentally explains (partly, at least) homosexual behavior in prisons and on navy ships.

    There is no "force" that controls who/what I pay attention to. In my opinion, my ability to pay attention is only limited as indicated by the total number of who's and what's I can pay attention to at once. What do you say to the notion that.... Sexual orientation can't change and anyone who testifies that it can is a bisexual.... is an example of circular logic?

  8. #268
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    According to Merriam-Websiter, homosexuality is defined by action:

    Definition of HOMOSEXUALITY
    1 : the quality or state of being homosexual
    2 : erotic activity with another of the same sex

    So of all the homosexuals in the world, you believe that 100% of them are homosexual innately? You have not convinced me away from my assertion that the percent who are homosexual are that way by choice is greater than 0%. I do believe that for some, receiving love and affection from someone of ones same sex can influence someone's lifestyle in the same way that it can influence them when that someone if of the opposite sex.

    Perhaps that possibility makes you think that that somehow weakens the homosexual cause, I do not.
    Holy #$%^! I totally agree. Whether or not sexual orientation is a choice should have no bearing on equal rights for all.

  9. #269
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    It appears to me (perhaps incorrectly) that you accept in heterosexuals a basic imperative (drive?) to procreate with a member of the opposite sex. Yet you seem to imply that all someone displaying homosexual tendencies is doing is suppressing this basic imperative (for some unknown reason), thus exercising a choice not to act properly in accordance with instinctive(?) reproductive nature.
    What do you mean by "accept" in heterosexuals a basic....? I don't believe such a drive exists, even if it did, i would not believe that it could not and should not be ignored. I disagree with the second sentence ("Yet you seem...") I don't feel that way at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    However, I think it entirely plausible that this imperative to procreate can be reversed in human genetic coding. That is because this occurs in nature as a method of reducing overpopulation in various species. That would leave homosexuals with no such drive, instead leading them to focus on neuter relationships. Thus the lack of arousal would be due to a natural resistance to female hormones released to incite sexual attraction and arousal.
    Yes. That's plausible. Only to be proven/disproven by geneticists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    I also disagree that arousal is inevitable simply because those stressors you mention are not present due to the above.
    Of course. It's not inevitable.



    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Again, the scenario I posited did not indicate stress, simply a lack of interest and arousal. The boy is fully aware of his proper role once shown, and as for being strange and alien? Heís grown up with them and in a state of nature all parties must be aware of his physical differences. In prepubescent children this typically excites curiosity, not hostility. Upon reaching sexual maturity this increases the curiosity and turns it into experimentation.


    No, I was very clear that no amount of stimulation from the females effected arousal in the boy. His desire was focused on the other boy alone. As for the reason, I presented one earlier in this post. In any case fondling genitals is not an absolute guarantee of arousal in everyone, just the umm oversexed? Undersexed? I donít know. LOL.
    I am still thinking about what, aside from innate homosexual orientation, would cause the boy's behavior. Tough one.

  10. #270
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    If homosexuality is not a choice, then must there be genetic markers for it?
    What about bisexuals? Should they also have distinct genetic markers for bisexuality?
    How do people who believe that sexual orientation is not a choice explain bisexuals?


    Is sexual orientation evidenced by sexual acts, falling in love (with a certain sex), or both?

    I've heard many people say that it is not sexual acts alone. I agree. After all, everything (not everything you literal idiots) feels good with the lights off.
    I haven't heard any comments on whether it is or isn't related to who you fall in love with. I have heard that sexual orientation is related strongly to attraction. As in: If you are attracted to the same sex then you are homosexual.

    And that being attracted to whichever of the two sexes you are attracted to... never changes. This point I find difficult to agree with. I find that familiarity (among other things) breeds attraction. You become familiar by paying attention. Who you pay attention to is influenced in part by who is in your environment. Not that your environment forces you to pay a certain amount of attention to someone. It certainly does not.

    It's a tricky call. Which is the cause of the other?
    I looked at his butt as he walked by because I am attracted to him
    Or
    I became attracted after staring at his butt?

    The first situation implies (to me) that I have no control over where my own eyes point. The second situation makes more sense to me.... Staring lead to contemplating and contemplating lead to lusting.

    In guys who say they did not choose to be straight, I think they simply have not allowed themselves to get to the contemplating phase, or to get past it.

    In guys who say they tried to be attracted to girls but it never worked.... Well, I don't want to argue with their personal experience. After all, they are firsthand, expert witnesses. Still, I think on a long enough timeline, with the right kind of contemplating, then attraction would occur. Attention comes first.
    Last edited by USNavySquid; 06-29-13 at 03:29 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •