View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 16 of 132 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #151
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    You'd need a consenting adult. That's not me.
    Because you are not yet adult?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  2. #152
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Because you are not yet adult?
    Not consenting. I'm hetero, no question about it. I don't need to taste a dog turd to know I won't like it. It is analogical.

  3. #153
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,555

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    This is significant because children of gay parents

    are 10 times (30%) as likely to be gay as the general population (3%)(Cameron, 1997, 8

    and 9 of 14).
    Wow...well, thanks Dave...but the above would have sufficed. I was just curious who "Cameron" was or is. But now that we're here. That's a pretty drastic claim by Cameron, wouldn't you say? I guess I'll be forced to look over his/her study to understand how these statistics came into being.

  4. #154
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Wow...well, thanks Dave...but the above would have sufficed. I was just curious who "Cameron" was or is. But now that we're here. That's a pretty drastic claim by Cameron, wouldn't you say? I guess I'll be forced to look over his/her study to understand how these statistics came into being.

    I had written that research paper about ten years ago and thought you might appreciate all the information because I feel it is thorough. I'm not anti-homo and the paper was not written with any bias. I seriously researched the subject for my own elucidation and satisfaction. I would admit a pre-disposition to the assumption that gay is not genetic but allowed the data to reveal itself. That was the question that needed answering.

  5. #155
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,187

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I don't believe it's a "choice" in the notion that one can go "I Choose to be homosexual" or "I choose to be straight". I do believe it can manifest itself in a person in ways other than pure genetics, ie that environmental factors can also help to usher in the feelings of attraction
    I think you're right, there's a variety of factors that are not genetic. The question being "Is it a choice?" the answer is no. Whatever the factors that determine it, you don't choose to be attracted to people of the same sex.

    That said, your actions in regard to that attraction is a choice. If you think it's wrong to act on your attraction, I can respect that choice. If you think that your orientation is different, then you're not being honest with yourself. I once knew a man who was a Catholic priest. He was not in the closet, in that he certainly considered his orientation to be homosexual. But he chose a life of celibacy, same as the straight priests.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #156
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Wow...well, thanks Dave...but the above would have sufficed. I was just curious who "Cameron" was or is. But now that we're here. That's a pretty drastic claim by Cameron, wouldn't you say? I guess I'll be forced to look over his/her study to understand how these statistics came into being.

    I don't think it is drastic. I have several friends who have gay male children. I asked them (the fathers) what caused it. Both fathers said that they thought their boys had been molested by homo friends of their own when they were very young. Homos have more homo friends and acquaintances than straights, ergo the possibility of homo molestation is much greater. That would be my best thoughts as relate to the possibilities.

  7. #157
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,599
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    1. It seems, through your example, you are (purposefully or no) leading to the conclusion that there is a drive of some sort that acts on this boy. When I hear homosexuals talk about an internal drive, it seems similar to this. But I don't believe in an internal drive. One reason being that I have not seen research that proves its existence conclusively. And another reason being that I believe arousal is possible if attention is exercised and stress, fear, anxiety extinguished and social programming overcome.
    It appears to me (perhaps incorrectly) that you accept in heterosexuals a basic imperative (drive?) to procreate with a member of the opposite sex. Yet you seem to imply that all someone displaying homosexual tendencies is doing is suppressing this basic imperative (for some unknown reason), thus exercising a choice not to act properly in accordance with instinctive(?) reproductive nature.

    However, I think it entirely plausible that this imperative to procreate can be reversed in human genetic coding. That is because this occurs in nature as a method of reducing overpopulation in various species. That would leave homosexuals with no such drive, instead leading them to focus on neuter relationships. Thus the lack of arousal would be due to a natural resistance to female hormones released to incite sexual attraction and arousal.

    I also disagree that arousal is inevitable simply because those stressors you mention are not present due to the above.

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    2. You've accounted for the novelty of similarity and I would have proposed that if you hadn't. How about the novelty of dissimilarity the boy feels towards the girls? They are strange and alien to him. On his own, he is too afraid or awed to perform with them. But the presence of the other boy makes him feel safe so he can enjoy the ministrations of the girl(s). This is something that can be strengthened so that the other boy is no longer needed as a crutch.
    Again, the scenario I posited did not indicate stress, simply a lack of interest and arousal. The boy is fully aware of his proper role once shown, and as for being strange and alien? Heís grown up with them and in a state of nature all parties must be aware of his physical differences. In prepubescent children this typically excites curiosity, not hostility. Upon reaching sexual maturity this increases the curiosity and turns it into experimentation.

    Quote Originally Posted by USNavySquid View Post
    3. But if you are saying that the boy fixates -as in fantasizes- about the other boy while the girls are touching him, and that is how he is able to perform...... I can't accept that at face value. What is the reason the girl can not provoke pleasure? Saying the boy simply has homosexual proclivities is circular and I can't accept it. I'll think about this some more.
    No, I was very clear that no amount of stimulation from the females effected arousal in the boy. His desire was focused on the other boy alone. As for the reason, I presented one earlier in this post. In any case fondling genitals is not an absolute guarantee of arousal in everyone, just the umm oversexed? Undersexed? I donít know. LOL.

  8. #158
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,555

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I had written that research paper about ten years ago and thought you might appreciate all the information because I feel it is thorough. I'm not anti-homo and the paper was not written with any bias. I seriously researched the subject for my own elucidation and satisfaction. I would admit a pre-disposition to the assumption that gay is not genetic but allowed the data to reveal itself. That was the question that needed answering.
    Thanks, Dave. I certainly see nothing that you've posted that you are bigoted toward gays. But to me...I think that one of the first places that I would want to research is gay couples who have...and I should have said this before..."adopted" children to see if there was some statistical significance involved.

    I mean it's possible that a gay person could have been the natural parent...came out as homosexual...then took custody of his or her child and raised them.

    So really my curiosity is more related to statistical significance of adopted children only raised by gay parents.

    If there is a 30% outcome over the average 3% population....that's drastic...very drastic.

    Again, thanks for posting those studies.

  9. #159
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,555

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I don't think it is drastic. I have several friends who have gay male children. I asked them (the fathers) what caused it. Both fathers said that they thought their boys had been molested by homo friends of their own when they were very young. Homos have more homo friends and acquaintances than straights, ergo the possibility of homo molestation is much greater. That would be my best thoughts as relate to the possibilities.

    Dave...I think we were replying to each other at the same time...so my last reply to you is actually close to the above post. But anyway, basically my thoughts on gay parenting with regard to adopted children.

  10. #160
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    It is a choice as sin always is. We have free choice to not sin.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •