View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 125 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #1241
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    A sexual act is not the same as sexual attraction. If you can't separate those two you'll never understand.
    I guess I can't understand inconsistent rhetoric either. End.

  2. #1242
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Your points are valid, we just see thing from a different perspective. One caution though, and you should think this through for yourself. If it is as you say, that an increase in an activity that was once taboo (whether do to indoctrination or not), Does this imply that to engage is indeed a choice?
    Of course to engage in it is a choice, unless you ate talking about rape. But having sex is ideally a choice.

    Homosexuality isn't sexual activity though it is sexual orientation, that isn't a choice. there is a difference between sexual orientation and sexual activity orientation normally dictates activity but it doesn't always.

  3. #1243
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    For the purpose of this discussion I will portray asexual behavior, thank you. I am making a logical argument, not an emotional one.
    I was also making a logical argument. I factually laid out the nature genetics, and two questioned the logic of expecting to see abstinence or sex with those you or anyone else isn't attracted to.

    So, you can answer the question with a logical response if you have one.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #1244
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I guess I can't understand inconsistent rhetoric either. End.
    Okay let's try it this way. Before you ever had sex you were attracted to women. Did that make you heterosexual? Because if your behavior dictates sexual orientation than you were asexual.

    I have been with both genders what does that make me? Was i gay then straight then gay than straight than gay again?

  5. #1245
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Sure, and I agree to some extent. I just don't think that to turn things 180 and discriminate and advocate against another groups moral foundation solves anything. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    You do understand that it wasn't advocacy for homosexuals that led to loss of prayer rights in schools right? Madeline O'Hare was an atheist advocate. She was the one credited with removal of prayer in school.

    The 180 turn doesn't exist. it really wasn't gay people that had prayer removed from school. to lump every "group" that is "against your moral foundation" in with one another isn't accurate.

    Don't blame the political force of today for what has occurred in the past that you do not approve of.

  6. #1246
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,286

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Sure, and I agree to some extent. I just don't think that to turn things 180 and discriminate and advocate against another groups moral foundation solves anything. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Well, the answer is to buck up and be a man and call out bigotry when you see it and this includes if it is your friends, boss, coworker, or cleric.

    But that is not what has been happening.

    They need poster children like Matthew Shepard to show people what has been happening to them in varying degrees EVERY SINGLE DAY.

  7. #1247
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Sure, and I agree to some extent. I just don't think that to turn things 180 and discriminate and advocate against another groups moral foundation solves anything. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Christian students aren't getting expelled the way christian schools expel gay and ally students. This is a false equivalence if I've ever heard one, because that's what a 180 would be. They'd be expelled and christian teachers fired and so on.

    Your PA prayer thing has a point, but it's such a minor thing i don't see the big deal for either atheists to cover their ears or theists to mumble a prayer to themselves or something. Football at a public school isn't church, though it tries to disguise itself as such. There are also plenty of gay theists, so it's a separate issue really.
    Last edited by chromium; 09-21-13 at 07:39 PM.

  8. #1248
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Christian students aren't getting expelled the way christian schools expel gay and ally students. This is a false equivalence if I've ever heard one, because that's what a 180 would be. They'd be expelled and christian teachers fired and so on.

    Your PA prayer thing has a point, but it's such a minor thing i don't see the big deal for either atheists to cover their ears or theists to mumble a prayer to themselves or something. Football at a public school isn't church, though it tries to disguise itself as such. There are also plenty of gay theists, so it's a separate issue really.
    My point isn't to compare or equate, it is to show inconsistent and unequal treatment from governmental institutions toward groups that have differing ideas of what constitutes morality. Keep them out.

  9. #1249
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    This happens all the time in a general sense, ever hear the phrase "acquired taste". However it takes openness and repeated contact. Any biological predisposition is subservient to the human ability to "veto" impulses in a normal human brain. This is less apparent in base instincts such as sexuality, however as I have said before, I believe that the base instinct of sexuality is separate from the object of that desire.
    Experimenting goes both ways. In the past, a lot of gay people married and had kids, and it still didn't change their sexuality. Yes, behavior is a choice but there's also reason behind it. For anyone with a sex drive, suppressing or acting contrary to it our whole lives is neither healthy nor realistic.

  10. #1250
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    My point isn't to compare or equate, it is to show inconsistent and unequal treatment from governmental institutions toward groups that have differing ideas of what constitutes morality. Keep them out.
    Every action has a trace of morality behind it, but you have to make decisions. When they teach birth control in sex ed, that is evil to some and to others the state acting on its own best interests of avoiding teen pregnancies. That's all public ed owes to its citizens, to act in their collective best interests. Apparently the state of CA has determined that it's in the public's interest to inform students about the history of the gay right's movement, just as they do for that of women, african americans, jews, child labor and so on. Is the state 'discriminating' against the ku klux klan or neo-nazis in the process? Because to those hate groups, blacks and jews are deviant and should still have no place in public ed textbooks. You don't give it a 2nd thought though, just as no one will be raising these objections about the 'gay agenda' in 50 years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •