View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 124 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #1231
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    This could simply be because the taboos have been lifted.

    Homosexual experimentation is nothing new, it's been occurring for millennia it's just that now it isn't criminalized do people are capable of being honest without repercussion.

    it's not necessarily indoctrination, in fact it's likely liberation.
    Your points are valid, we just see thing from a different perspective. One caution though, and you should think this through for yourself. If it is as you say, that an increase in an activity that was once taboo (whether do to indoctrination or not), Does this imply that to engage is indeed a choice?

  2. #1232
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Universal traits are evidence of biological origins. How many cultures do you know where proximity and reciprocity are not attractive qualities? People have evolved to find traits that would promote offspring and their survival to be particularly attractive. How might proximity and reciprocity play a role in increasing offspring and their survival?
    I may been wrong and have went too far in asserting no biological cause, based on theoretical assumptions. However, I said "conclusive" studies.

  3. #1233
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Behavior yes, attraction no. Try it yourself. Try to condition yourself to find something unattractive to be attractive.
    This happens all the time in a general sense, ever hear the phrase "acquired taste". However it takes openness and repeated contact. Any biological predisposition is subservient to the human ability to "veto" impulses in a normal human brain. This is less apparent in base instincts such as sexuality, however as I have said before, I believe that the base instinct of sexuality is separate from the object of that desire.

  4. #1234
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    You are referring to private school vouchers? Have you heard of separation of church and state? I'm for public funds to buy economics textbooks or something if you want to home school. In fact, i think public middle/high schools are so lousy and inefficient at educating and career training, I'd almost rather shut them all down. But unconstitutional public funding of religious schools that can still discriminate (thanks to the 1st amendment, no less) California Court Rules Religious Schools May Expel Gay Students

    No, I'm not going to agree to that. If you think you know best how to raise your kids, with no 'gay agenda', do it on your own.

    The religious extremist agenda, on the other hand, is real and a real threat to kids:

    Daily Kos: Georgia gives tax support to schools that expel kids for being gay or not hating gays enough

    I'm sure the SC will get around to doing its job and stopping them in 17 years.
    I think it's good that, thanks to your willingness to discuss this honestly we have come to a place of general agreement with regard to at least some of the issues. I appreciate that as I am here to learn and understand other perspectives. We'll have to pick this voucher thing up on a different thread, but thanks.

  5. #1235
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    Not sexual attraction.
    ok... you contradict yourself then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    Those studies indicate that human sexuality is rarely 100% straight or 100% gay.
    If it's not 100% in either direction, what determines the outcome? Could it be .... *gasp* a decision to act? A behavioral choice.

  6. #1236
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    ok... you contradict yourself then.



    If it's not 100% in either direction, what determines the outcome? Could it be .... *gasp* a decision to act? A behavioral choice.
    Not dead center in the middle either. Could be 80% one way or the other. Let me ask, if we wanted you to, could you live the rest of your life making love only to someone of the same sex?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1237
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not dead center in the middle either. Could be 80% one way or the other. Let me ask, if we wanted you to, could you live the rest of your life making love only to someone of the same sex?
    For the purpose of this discussion I will portray asexual behavior, thank you. I am making a logical argument, not an emotional one.

  8. #1238
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,266

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I can't say enough how I understand your point, but at the same time that courts and politicians have allowed advocacy for non traditional sexual groups to become institutional forces with in the school they also have pruned away the religious advocacy, even removing the ability for student led prayer before football games if the PA system is used. Let's remove it all, teach the three r's and let families decide how to morally train their children.
    You have absolutely no clue how bigotry (of its various forms) was endemic in our political/government/court systems. The laws/rules were not created in a vacuum. It was because the system allowed for the perps to get away with their behavior.

    What should have happened was for decades for people to speak up against bigots and bullies and to not accept their behavior. So in many cases laws or rules overcompensated.

  9. #1239
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    ok... you contradict yourself then.



    If it's not 100% in either direction, what determines the outcome? Could it be .... *gasp* a decision to act? A behavioral choice.
    A sexual act is not the same as sexual attraction. If you can't separate those two you'll never understand.
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

  10. #1240
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    You have absolutely no clue how bigotry (of its various forms) was endemic in our political/government/court systems. The laws/rules were not created in a vacuum. It was because the system allowed for the perps to get away with their behavior.

    What should have happened was for decades for people to speak up against bigots and bullies and to not accept their behavior. So in many cases laws or rules overcompensated.
    Sure, and I agree to some extent. I just don't think that to turn things 180 and discriminate and advocate against another groups moral foundation solves anything. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •