View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 114 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #1131
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,567

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    So you haven't said why its different in principal. Only a straw man of impracticality. Substitute the religions you mentioned various sexual preferences and you'll see the weakness of that argument. It actually makes the point that the schools have become places of advocacy. There is not time to teach everything so they have chosen those things deemed most valuable. This shows that the public school system has determined that religion is not valuable, homosexuality is.
    John...if you can't grasp the difference between religion and human science, which includes sexual orientation...hey...deal with it however you need to.

    But I don't see schools adding values to any sexual orientations or praising one orientation over the other, but rather being included as part of curriculum, which define sexual orientation.

    And if your child isn't taught your religion in the way you want it taught...or if a teacher somehow inject his or her own religious values, which aren't agreeable with you...something tells me you'd be raising hell.

  2. #1132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Because that has no bearing on the discussion at this point.
    Yes it does..the thread is called ''Is homosexuality a choice''

    Would be interesting to hear from Gays...

    I'm not really interested in your bitch fight with various posters!!

  3. #1133
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Yes it does..the thread is called ''Is homosexuality a choice''

    Would be interesting to hear from Gays...

    I'm not really interested in your bitch fight with various posters!!
    I have many posts in this thread in which this has been fully discussed and other posters and I have exchanged on that issue. As a result of our discussions about that I noticed and pointed out inconsistent arguments coming from many and realized that the arguments were not anything more than advocacy at any cost. I am defending my position honestly. So before you start calling people out from a position of ignorance, I would suggest that you go back and read the entire thread.

  4. #1134
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    John...if you can't grasp the difference between religion and human science, which includes sexual orientation...hey...deal with it however you need to.

    But I don't see schools adding values to any sexual orientations or praising one orientation over the other, but rather being included as part of curriculum, which define sexual orientation.

    And if your child isn't taught your religion in the way you want it taught...or if a teacher somehow inject his or her own religious values, which aren't agreeable with you...something tells me you'd be raising hell.
    I don't think that sexual preferences, are more human science than religion is. Each society in every part of the world has religious people, who's religion dictates much of the culture, societal norms, and is responsible for all manner of benefit and upheaval. It is the topic of greatest importance to the development of society. Yet I do not advocate for religion classes. I wouldn't want the schools teaching about all religions as moral equivalents.

  5. #1135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I have many posts in this thread in which this has been fully discussed and other posters and I have exchanged on that issue. As a result of our discussions about that I noticed and pointed out inconsistent arguments coming from many and realized that the arguments were not anything more than advocacy at any cost. I am defending my position honestly. So before you start calling people out from a position of ignorance, I would suggest that you go back and read the entire thread.
    My post wasn't meant to confront you or any other poster..I stated I would like more of an opinion from gay people..

  6. #1136
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    My post wasn't meant to confront you or any other poster..I stated I would like more of an opinion from gay people..
    OK no problem, it was the bitch fight comment that threw me off... but I get where you are coming from. I'll try to reign it in a bit.

  7. #1137
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Did you test your consistency or did you only take the time to mock? Wait I'll answer that for you, you didn't test, you chose to ignore honest debate and decided to mock. This makes my point you are a dishonest advocate not principled.
    I tend to ignore sophistry in general, so yes, I do ignore certain things.

    The entire phobic reaction to homosexuality is based upon emotion rather than reason because it is inevitably the result of the cognitive dissonance created by the contrast between arbitrary teachings and one's own impulses, or else a generalized revulsion to practices one cannot imagine themselves engaging in. In either case, the homophobia is an emotional response rather than rational since there is nothing inherently hurtful or damaging to another person when two adults engage in it willingly.

    The circular illogic of "It's icky-poo because people say it's icky-poo; therefore since people say it's icky-poo it must be icky-poo" doesn't cut it. Just because ignorant people wag their sanctimonious little fingers about "morality" while persecuting people who cause no intrinsic harm, that does not make the actions of those they persecute immoral. It just means that the ignorant, bigoted individuals have no basis for calling it immoral other than their arbitrary prejudice.

    Come up with a valid reason for WHY homosexuality is immoral other than arbitrary prejudice based upon emotion. You can't. You simply can't.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  8. #1138
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Yea the do. Schools are government agencies, they require sex ed with homosexual studies. By law you must send your kids to school. If you cannot afford private ed, you are in that class.

    Another example you might think about would be requiring kids to take Christian religion class in public school. I am not advocating, I'm comparing the Idea of how institutional power has approved one set of moral judgments and removed another.
    I'd be fine with them teaching that Christianity exists, and I'd also be fine with them abstaining from giving any opinion as to the morality of being Christian. If you can do the same for homosexuality, then you have an equality to talk about.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  9. #1139
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I tend to ignore sophistry in general, so yes, I do ignore certain things.

    The entire phobic reaction to homosexuality is based upon emotion rather than reason because it is inevitably the result of the cognitive dissonance created by the contrast between arbitrary teachings and one's own impulses, or else a generalized revulsion to practices one cannot imagine themselves engaging in. In either case, the homophobia is an emotional response rather than rational since there is nothing inherently hurtful or damaging to another person when two adults engage in it willingly.

    The circular illogic of "It's icky-poo because people say it's icky-poo; therefore since people say it's icky-poo it must be icky-poo" doesn't cut it. Just because ignorant people wag their sanctimonious little fingers about "morality" while persecuting people who cause no intrinsic harm, that does not make the actions of those they persecute immoral. It just means that the ignorant, bigoted individuals have no basis for calling it immoral other than their arbitrary prejudice.

    Come up with a valid reason for WHY homosexuality is immoral other than arbitrary prejudice based upon emotion. You can't. You simply can't.
    You have totally and completely misrepresented what I have stated and what my objection is in this discussion. I'm done with this. See wolfe post for reason.

  10. #1140
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    I'd be fine with them teaching that Christianity exists, and I'd also be fine with them abstaining from giving any opinion as to the morality of being Christian. If you can do the same for homosexuality, then you have an equality to talk about.
    I would like for them to do just that. do not teach that non reproductive sexual practices are morally equivalent to reproductive practices.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •